Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

My Ohrrpgce Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronoas wrote:
Somewhat in relation to that, I got an enemy in my game that kills the other minor enemies on the screen and absorbs their HP to heal. Each of the minor enemies has 20 HP, and regardless of how many minor enemies the big enemy absorbs up, it will always show the absorption amount as 20. It will still absorb and heal the correct total, however.

I've filed this as a bug: '' . bug_title('897') . ''

A lot of these suggestions aren't new, but it's always good to get an idea of what people actually want. I've ordered your requests by probable length of time until they happen (but some of these are going to happen sooner or later, while others probably won't happen unless someone reminds us at the right moment, so it's not an even comparison):
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: Higher damage multipliers than 11 (1000% damage)?
That was a silly limit. I've raised it to +32767% damage.
The maximum attack damage is 2147483647. You can attain this using elementals ;). Eg. add a "Do 100x damage" element and make everything take 10000% damage from it.
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: Increase max number of tags?
Don't worry about this. Sure, we're too lazy to do this when there's no pressing need, but if anyone actually ran out of tags I would do so immediately -- James already has it all thought out ('Plan for increasing available tags').
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: A way for the shop to show what stats a purchasable item increases
Yeah, I almost went ahead and added this recently.
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: Increase max experience total? Or adjustable experience equation?
Yes, definitely. Mostly waiting on some script interpreter work to allow specifying a script to calculate it. Also, there's a workaround in the meantime: 'Scripts:Custom experience to level formula'
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: A bitset to make the non-partied PCs still gain experience? Customizable percentage, perhaps? "X% of experience gained split among out-of-party (unlocked) PCs"?
Or an option to set the penalty on heroes not in the party (which can be set to 0% for no difference and 100% for current behaviour).
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: Increase max characters in item names?
But there's no room in the inventory menu for long item names at all. Maybe we could squeeze in 9 characters, but longer than that would require switching to two columns or cutting off the item names except when selected. I'd like to hear ideas about this actually, as I DO definitely want longer item names.
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: Increase maximum gold you can reward? On that note, more than one common and one rare steal-able/droppable items, perhaps?
Yes, when the enemy data lump is replaced with a 'RELOAD' one. James is working on the switch sloooowly.
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: Increase maximum amount of HP enemies can have?
Yes, when the enemy data lump is replaced with a 'RELOAD' one.
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: Ability to add and remove/hide stats? And for that matter, when you do, choice between HP/MP stat behaviour or ATK/DEF/etc. behaviour?
Yep. 'Plan for more flexible stats'. The full plan requires switching a bunch of data file formats to RELOAD, but I guess some simple bits for hiding stats could be much sooner.
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: Names for tilesets?
That's a good idea. Will squeeze it in when the file format changes (not sure when). Could go out of the way to add it earlier...
Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: I'm pretty sure it's already been mentioned, but screen-size attack animations?
The amazing sprites rewrite will allow this. It's a vast project though.
msw188

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
an option to set the penalty on heroes not in the party (which can be set to 0% for no difference and 100% for current behaviour).

Yes please! Some method of making this on a by-hero basis would be best, actually. Or maybe just two different penalties, one for heroes not in party but NOT locked, and a separate one for heroes LOCKED out of the party.

Also, shops showing equipment stats would always be grand. Not sure what kind of setup to have for this though. Maybe under each hero a list of the first x stats affected by the equipment, whatever can fit? Or x stats most affected by the equipment?

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
The maximum attack damage is 2147483647. You can attain this using elementals Wink. Eg. add a "Do 100x damage" element and make everything take 10000% damage from it.

Has the HP cap been raised?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
The Mad Cacti wrote:
The maximum attack damage is 2147483647. You can attain this using elementals Wink. Eg. add a "Do 100x damage" element and make everything take 10000% damage from it.

The Mad Cacti wrote:

Quote:
-Separate Suggestion: Increase maximum amount of HP enemies can have?
Yes, when the enemy data lump is replaced with a 'RELOAD' one.

Unless you're refering to PC's HP cap?

Yeah, I knew most of what I suggested had long since been asked for, but like you said, I wanted to communicate what features that I'm looking for, at least. Originally I was just going to suggest the ability to name tilesets because I've been getting confused keeping some of my tilesets straight, and then I began remembering all the other things I've thought about wanting over the period of time I've been using OHR that it didn't yet have, and I figured this was the best time and place to say something, haha.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msw188 wrote:
Yes please! Some method of making this on a by-hero basis would be best, actually. Or maybe just two different penalties, one for heroes not in party but NOT locked, and a separate one for heroes LOCKED out of the party.

Hmm, distinguishing locked and unlocked heroes sounds sensible, so that's what I did. Of course, it took me nowhere near the 20 minutes I thought it would, because there was so much awkwardness in the battle system victory code to work around.

There's actually quite a lot of screen space to spare in shops (at least if things are moved around a little), so I don't think it'll be much of a problem to display all stat changes.

Moogle1 wrote:

When the engine was ported to FB, all stats and calculations in-battle became 32 bit instead of 16 bit (at least, I don't remember there ever being any emulation of 16-bit-ness), which is what I was referring to, but pretty much everything in an RPG file except for compiled scripts is still 16 bit. That is what RELOAD/editedit will fix.
ShakeyAir

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the longer item names, couldn't that wait until the new font stuff is done? Won't the menus more-or-less need to be redesigned to account for variable width font anyway? I would like long item names as much as the next guy, but I think its a fairly easy thing to update after the fact. (Like, if you work on your game now with ChnMail or whatever, and then once the feature is in its trivial to change it to Chain Mail.)

I have a couple of unfinished battle engines, because I am against using the OHR's default one until I can tell what's going on. Status icons could do this, better caption control could do this. Preferably both. The problem is that we've devised so many battle engine tricks as a community that someone unfamiliar with the OHR's battle engine just doesn't get what's going on.

So. I either would want arrays, and more about attacks (not to mention TEXTBOXES!!!) exposed to plotscripting so that custom battle engines are simple to program. OR (like I said earlier) to forget about some of the exciting stuff (new font stuff, multitasking, etc etc) and just pound away on the battle engine until its up to par with the rest of the OHRRPGCE.

But what I think would be more effective than all these "I want this feature and this feature and that feature" would be if the devs made posts about certain things to get community opinions of how they want them to work. Like the plan for improved animations still has a lot left in the air, and if the community could talk about how they would prefer it to work user-side, the devs can dive into that feature when they're ready, knowing that they are doing it the right way for all the users.
Chronoas

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered another idea in the same line as the naming of tilesets. Either a way to name palettes so I can remember what sprite(s) I used it for, or some sort of menu to see what sprites are associated with a particular palette, so I can see which sprites I'm going to need to check or make edits on if I decide to change something in a palette.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShakeyAir wrote:
About the longer item names, couldn't that wait until the new font stuff is done? Won't the menus more-or-less need to be redesigned to account for variable width font anyway? I would like long item names as much as the next guy, but I think its a fairly easy thing to update after the fact. (Like, if you work on your game now with ChnMail or whatever, and then once the feature is in its trivial to change it to Chain Mail.)

Well, the plan is to switch the builtin menus to slice collections anyway, which has nothing to do with changes to fonts. With variable width fonts it becomes pretty impossible to ensure clean menu layout, currently acheived with careful length restrictions on every string. Luckily, slice collections also means text slices which means text wrapping and clipping (hmm, ought to add automatic contraction with ellipses to text slices too), not to mention making someone else responsible for the layout :)

I was planning to roll out variable width font before the switch to slice based menus, and had worked out how I would retrofit the menus. But I guess first switching to slice based menus would be much less work in total.

Quote:
So. I either would want arrays, and more about attacks (not to mention TEXTBOXES!!!) exposed to plotscripting so that custom battle engines are simple to program. OR (like I said earlier) to forget about some of the exciting stuff (new font stuff, multitasking, etc etc) and just pound away on the battle engine until its up to par with the rest of the OHRRPGCE.

In my opinion, getting the battle system up to par requires battle scripting, because there are so many things that you might want in the battle system which would be unreasonable to add as builtin features because they add complexity and bloat for little gain. And battle scripting requires switching battles to slices, script multitasking and commands for reading attack data, etc. So we're working towards improving the battle system very indirectly. :) And actually, James has been doing lots of cleanup of the battle code in the last couple years.

Quote:
Like the plan for improved animations still has a lot left in the air, and if the community could talk about how they would prefer it to work user-side, the devs can dive into that feature when they're ready, knowing that they are doing it the right way for all the users.

I'd rather finish the plan and then test it against the things that people want to be able to do. Make changes if it doesn't deliver. Getting people to read through a massive proposal (it's so big that it's never been written up!) with no prototype of the UI and then provide feedback isn't going to work.

Chronoas' suggestion for the ability to name palettes is one of the only "useful" (nonobvious) ones regarding graphics that I have ever seen.
Chronoas

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to point out that, with my testing of the 'experience to out-of-party members', when a member who is not in the party levels up after a battle, it will show either a blank name or the name of a monster in the battle instead of their own name. It will still correctly show the names when they gain skills from said level up, however.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps. Thanks, fixed. I guess that was something I meant to test, but I lost patience.
Chronoas

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was pondering the item-name thing last night, and since you wanted feedback, I figured I'd give my 2 cents. I'm thinking that switching to 2 columns would be the most visually appealing solution to lengthening the item names. Since the item screen has a scroll bar, it wouldn't really affect the amount of items you can hold, and that would give at LEAST 4 more characters to the item names, allowing up to 12 (actually space for about 14, if I count correctly), in line with attack names and (I think) monster names length.

Unless, of course, the issue is affected by variable font stuff as ShakeyAir stated. Not really familiar with what he refers to, so I don't know.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The variable font width is a planned (largely already implemented!) feature to let you set the size of each individual character in your font(s). By making letters like i and l thinner than the others, this has the side effect of letting you fit more text on a line. Even so, three columns doesn't give much space, so I guess the option of two columns is a good idea. Width width font is going to mean that we won't be able to set length-in-characters limits to impose length-in-pixels limits, so either way, item names are probably going to be trimmed (maybe with ellipses...) if they're too long (length-in-pixels).
Chronoas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick (and extremely hopeful) question. I noticed that the new nightly has 'View Experience Chart' and 'Stat Growth Options'. Is this signs of a customizable experience formula coming soon?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronoas wrote:
Just a quick (and extremely hopeful) question. I noticed that the new nightly has 'View Experience Chart' and 'Stat Growth Options'. Is this signs of a customizable experience formula coming soon?

Yep, I added those in preparation for implementing a customizable formula. I don't know when I will get it finished, but I do definitely plan it for sometime before the next stable release.
Chronoas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've been pondering an idea of how to do Counter Attacking lately, and I'm not sure what has all been discussed on the matter to this point, but I figured I'd offer my two cents on a way to implement it.

What I was thinking was giving heroes a counter attack list, so to speak. The attack(s) stored in the list is the attack(s) that would be used as a counter attack. You would then be able to have, on the hero editor, the ability to customize if a particular hero has a counter attack(s) by default, or simply have the list empty. Additionally, it would be preferable to be able to set percentage chances to actually respond with a counter attack, on a "by attack" basis and, along with the attack IDs to choose from, a "Default Attack" option which makes the hero just counter with their default attack option.

In addition, add a new Counter menu (like the Transmogrification one) for the Attack Editor that allow one to make attacks that can set or remove attacks (and their percentage chances) from the target's counter list. Along with this, the ability in the Item Editor to make equip items that add an attack (and %) to the equipped hero's list.

This would allow for making things like "Rage" attacks which set an attack-boosting move to the hero's counter list, so they get stronger with every hit; it would allow for things as casting "Reflect" on yourself and countering with a move that does damage equal to what you just recieved; it would allow for items such as the Rage Band from Chrono Trigger that gave you 80% chance to counter with your default attack when hit; and so on. Mind you, this could all be moot point when battlescript eventually comes out, I don't know. Just a thought on my part.

I have more features suggestions *groans from audience* but it's 6am and I haven't slept a wink, and my other ideas are noted in my game design notebook, so I'll leave them for later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: