Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Sufficient Rewards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Sufficient Rewards Reply with quote

It's confession time.

One of my greater weaknesses in RPG design is creating worthwhile rewards for completing quests, battles, etc. And while I think some journeys, puzzles, and skirmishes can be rewards in their own rights, I still agree that good prizes make those endeavors mean something to the player.

Since I'm tired of attaching nothing but restorative items (and similar) to fallen enemies and giving the player stupid quest items for finishing a quest, I'm ready to field the community's opinions (and ideas) for better rewards.

So let's begin.

What are some other toys you'd like to pick up at the end of an RPG battle?

What would make completing a side quest worth your time (even if the quest itself is "reward enough")?

At what point does a special item become just another item?

And feel free to toss some other discussions of similar topic into the ring.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New abilities are always great rewards.

In an RPG, sidequests tend to occur mostly at the end of the game, where you can freely give the game's most powerful stuff. If sidequests occur earlier, they should either give something that has some sort of permanence (like a permanent +5 to Magic or a learned ability) or something that gives a distinct advantage at that point in the game (like an axe for Marcus that's three tiers ahead of whatever else is available). If your game's economy is such that money is tight, a gold reward can be appropriate as well.

The ultimate reward for a sidequest is often a secret character.
Clutcher of toes.

Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know... I've been having a hard time with this same issue. I feel like if a player takes the time and makes the effort, they should be rewarded with something more than, say, a potion. Especially if it is a long and involved side quest.

For example: I have a side quest in my game that spans the entire length of the game. It starts in the first town and is not able to be completed until you gain access to the final town. As a reward, you learn a spell that happens to be the most powerful spell against undead monsters, which, coincidentally, happen to be the main inhabitants of the final dungeon. So, if you remain vigilant throughout the course of the game, the final section becomes much easier. However, with this approach, I am running the risk of completely breaking the game by making the final dungeon LESS dangerous than the ones that came before. You know, I want the player to complete the quest, but at the same time I don't want EVERY player to complete the quest.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I would likely put in the final dungeon some types of enemies (not as many as undead for the sake of theme) where the spell wouldn't be as effective. Also an undead enemy that may have exceptionally high magic defense to survive the spell, but still be killable with physical attacks.

There could also be a high MP cost to make it less intuitive for random battles.

This way it will still be a help, but not totally perfect.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then you're running the risk of making the sidequest useless.

Becoming more powerful is the logical consequence of completing sidequests. The game being easier is the natural consequence of the party being stronger. The best way to go is usually to balance your game around a party that has finished the sidequests.

Chrono Trigger is the perfect example. You can fight the boss anytime after about the three-hour mark, but you won't win until the end of the game. Even then, the game opens up several sidequests to the player at the end of the game, without the completion of which it is very difficult to win. For an OHR example, Query Part I: Who Am I? does the same thing.

As for your scenario, the terms are a little different: it's not like the player should be expected to backtrack through the whole game just to get the ability. But since the effort required is so high, the bonus given should be a good one. What if the spell did destroy all undead in one hit -- but it took a good ten or fifteen seconds to charge? Couple that with a moderate-but-not-too-high MP cost and mixed/mostly undead formations and you have a sort of balance (assuming that your party can't kill all of them in fifteen seconds anyway, which they shouldn't be able to).
In umbram deo, ex nihilo...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered why Shinryu and Omega were worth defeating in FFV whatsoever (that's a good example of what not to reward the player with I guess)... a BADGE... laughable.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see somebody go all-out on a hero-sprite-swapping plotscript that changed your picture for every armor you could equip, turning the game into a tiny-pixeled-paperdoll-costume-collecting quest.

If course if I wanted to make that task non-painful for the plotscripter, I would implement some kind of sprite overlay system for compositing hero sprites together as layers.
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
If course if I wanted to make that task non-painful for the plotscripter, I would implement some kind of sprite overlay system for compositing hero sprites together as layers.

Did someone say, "DO IT"?
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
Did someone say, "DO IT"?

Yeah, it is a definite possibility.

'Plan for hero sprite overlays'

J.A.R.S. wrote:
I've always wondered why Shinryu and Omega were worth defeating in FFV whatsoever (that's a good example of what not to reward the player with I guess)... a BADGE... laughable.

If they had been summons, I totally would have bothered to level grind for another 30 days :)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, once you're able to beat those two, you don't need stronger attacks. At that point, the best thing you can give the player is something cosmetic, like a costume change (Galuf) or a trophy.

You could give something functional, too, like a New Game+ mode, but that's just as likely to upset the players who don't want to grind for hours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a bit of optional content in FFVI had cutscenes and intrigue, which was awesome.

FFT's sidequests gave new characters. How broken some may be is a different subject, though.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as gamebreaking as the story characters, you mean?

I assume you're talking about Beowulf, but even then, a good Calculator can win the battle before he's even in range.
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8bit wrote:
I don't know... I've been having a hard time with this same issue. I feel like if a player takes the time and makes the effort, they should be rewarded with something more than, say, a potion. Especially if it is a long and involved side quest.

This is how I feel about rewards in battles, too. I feel like I'm cheating the player whenever I create a new enemy (normal or boss alike) and assign yet another basic healing item as the reward. At the same time, I feel like I'm over-rewarding if I give something better (especially if the fight doesn't warrant it). Rare items and steals make the situation worse because then I have to supply something more powerful (but not too powerful) AND unique. That may be fine and dandy for the first five enemies or so, but what happens when the ideas run out and the rewards grow stale? It seems like that's the point when random battles (or battles in general) should stop and make way for new features.

As of now, I still reward with the basic three levels of healing and power items. I also offer temporary stat-altering items in later battles. And there's an item called "Sticky Gloves" that allows a non-thief to steal from enemies to keep things somewhat varied. But for a game that's supposed to push the limits on the average RPG experience, I think it still falls short in this category.

I suppose this would be a good place to brainstorm some new item ideas while we're at it. One thing I considered implementing awhile back, but disregarded because I wasn't sure when the items limit would've been increased, was a series of enemies who dropped ingredients used for creating powerful explosives (or things of that nature). I may go back and do this now that items are more plentiful. But that's just one idea. Anyone have other ideas for unique (and worthwhile) items?

JARS wrote:

This both validates me and concerns me. I like the idea of being given special rewards at the end of the game for achieving or unlocking certain tasks or items (hence the Awards Ceremony at the end of my game), but I also wonder if the sidequests are worth the recognition. To me, I'm okay with it, because it acknowledges the hard work the player goes through to gain the item or whatever. But at the end of the day, it's still just a score and not a thing that opens a door to some hidden place. It's a tough balance.

James wrote:
I'd love to see somebody go all-out on a hero-sprite-swapping plotscript that changed your picture for every armor you could equip, turning the game into a tiny-pixeled-paperdoll-costume-collecting quest.

I considered doing this for Tightfloss Maiden, and still might. At least with that game, it won't be quite as scatter-brained as my other giant epic, so the equipment upgrades would be far more manageable.

In retrospect, I'm thinking you almost have to make a smaller game to keep the rewards from becoming tedious or underwhelming. At least then you minimize the risk of redundancy.

Moogle wrote:
You could give something functional, too, like a New Game+ mode, but that's just as likely to upset the players who don't want to grind for hours.

I think that would be more suitable as a separate download, and realistically, for a smaller game. I probably wouldn't want to implement something like that for a game intended to be played once.

Though, I did entertain the possibility of letting the player complete the adventure in a cape (at Lvl. 99) the second time around (if there was to be such a thing). Probably won't happen, though.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long rambling of thoughts that may or may not have a point of interest.

Quote:
What are some other toys you'd like to pick up at the end of an RPG battle?

Unique and novelty equipment is almost always amusing to me.
Like a weapon that may have the game's highest attack rating, but can only be wielded by the party mage.
Simply getting an ultimate weapon in a game always makes me feel a little guilty when it's completely overpowered.
I guess the key point here would be balance.

Quote:
What would make completing a side quest worth your time (even if the quest itself is "reward enough")?

I want proof that I completed the quest.
It's even better when the proof benefits me in some way.

Quote:
At what point does a special item become just another item?

When it is obsolete.

An idea:
If there is a massive difference between the healing powers of a game's weakest and strongest potion, you may want to consider giving the player access to a tool that might convert a quantity of a weak potion into the next level potion.

It looks like the main variables of a reward are: aesthetic, power, and convenience.
The best reward would be all three and the worst would probably be negatives of each (Maybe you turn hideous, lose stats, and walk at half your previous speed).

I've been tossing the idea of a 'title' system around for a while (and even implemented a small part of it in the Bubble Breaker tech demo), where certain achievements would give your characters a title that might give a stat boost or some other weird benefits (+10 STR, but the townspeople in every village run away from you?).
This would seem interesting, but it really just seems to be an equipment slot in disguise.

8Bit wrote:
For example: I have a side quest in my game that spans the entire length of the game. It starts in the first town and is not able to be completed until you gain access to the final town. As a reward, you learn a spell that happens to be the most powerful spell against undead monsters, which, coincidentally, happen to be the main inhabitants of the final dungeon. So, if you remain vigilant throughout the course of the game, the final section becomes much easier. However, with this approach, I am running the risk of completely breaking the game by making the final dungeon LESS dangerous than the ones that came before. You know, I want the player to complete the quest, but at the same time I don't want EVERY player to complete the quest.

Fix it so that only players who knew about the quest could get it.
Maybe set a condition that would only make the quest available if the player started the game on a Sunday. Or something.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinHamster wrote:
(Maybe you turn hideous, lose stats, and walk at half your previous speed).

This would be great. You should make one of these.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: