Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

How big is too big?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: How big is too big? Reply with quote

So, I've been working on my game for a couple months now and it is getting down right HUGE. I am using mp3s for the music and sound effects. There are many different environments and each one has it's own music. Each one has its own battle background as well. I am also using backgrounds for various 'cut scenes' in the game, too. I'm only a quarter of the way through and this file is already HUGE. How big is too big? Would it deter anyone from downloading my game? I just wanted to get some opinions...
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How big is too big? Reply with quote

"Too big" is subjective. it depends on who is downloading it.

Some question:

1) How big is your RPG file? How many megabytes?

2) How big is it after you put it in a ZIP file? Although zipping will have no effect on your music and sound effects, it will shrink your backdrops nicely.

3) What compression level do you use when converting your MP3 files into OGG format when you import them?
J.A.R.S.
In umbram deo, ex nihilo...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people play games that need 3 dvds nowadays, but the truth is they expect fun out of the box. It is not always a matter of graphical appeal so I'd say you'd have to base your idea of big on the quality of the game itself.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first of all there's some MB limit for uploading a game here (10 MB I think). If you don't upload it here, chances are already lower people play your game.

Other than that, a game can also be bigger, but I can tell you if the download takes longer than one hour, many people won't want to download it. So it also depends on the upload speed of the server you host it on.

If the game is 100 MB big, but I can download it within 10 minutes (my connection is good enough for that) I won't mind the size at all.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if I'm downloading a 100mb file, it'd better be the final version.

A would consider a 20mb Zipped file to be really big.
Anything larger than that would be... :O
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I remember how it would take me a couple hours to download EverQuest back in it's golden years (several years ago), but I still did it. Why? I loved the game that much. Minnek and I were major EQ addicts. So I guess the formula in most people's minds is Game= Game play + Graphics - download time (X = P + A - T: P= play/fun/design A =art/graphics T= Time). Superb graphics and game play, even replay value, overpowers time.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Well first of all there's some MB limit for uploading a game here (10 MB I think). If you don't upload it here, chances are already lower people play your game.

Other than that, a game can also be bigger, but I can tell you if the download takes longer than one hour, many people won't want to download it. So it also depends on the upload speed of the server you host it on.

If the game is 100 MB big, but I can download it within 10 minutes (my connection is good enough for that) I won't mind the size at all.

php.ini wrote:

; Maximum size of POST data that PHP will accept.
post_max_size = 32M

This doesn't mean your 32MB file is guaranteed to upload successfully, but assuming everything goes well during the time it takes to upload said file, it should work.

That being said, our biggest games are currently Destiny Calls at 10.74MB, Dance Dance Armageddon at 10.69 MB, OHR House 3: On the Plantation (WEEK SIX RESULTS) at 10MB and *xeon* at 9.98MB, just to give you a relative comparison of what's currently hosted here. I didn't count Shadowiii vs Santa Barbara Airport DX: THE ALBUM at 10.23 MB, since it's all music.

~IM
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inferior Minion wrote:
I didn't count Shadowiii vs Santa Barbara Airport DX: THE ALBUM at 10.23 MB, since it's all music.

Honestly, that's probably true of the other ones too, except maybe Destiny Calls. Not to say there isn't a game on the other ones, but it's likely that music is the source of most of the hard drive space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, sometimes I'd be awesome to download the music separately. Like the game file comes only with BAM/MIDI music and is like 1MB but you could also download an MP3/OGG package (>100MB) that is placed into the folder of the executable and names like the game and if the game detect this folder it uses those 'better' sounds instead.

Man I wish Radar was still here, wonder what awesome sound he could pull off now that BAM isn't needed anymore.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current playtesting version of Adventures of Powerstick Man Extended Edition is 20.4MB zipped and growing fast (50.3MB unzipped). Yikes, it contains 6.1MB of only BAM/MIDI music, plus 14.1MB of sound effects. With CP's comparatively slow upload speed (768kbps I think?), it took a while download.

If you have a really big game like that, you should distribute it as an .rpgdir folder (by running it through unlump.exe) so that game.exe doesn't have to uplump it, which can take a looong time.

As for Rya's idea: I hope that the new CP will give people the ability to upload multiple resources. Also, how about letting people browse the contents of uploaded archives, and autogenerating an alternative download when applicable: "without .exes or .dlls"
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting with the ypsiliform release, an RPG that contains both an ogg version of a song and an midi/bam version of a song will favor the ogg file.

This means that if anybody wants to make a fancy installer (like with NSIS or something) they could make an option to download and install high-quality music separately.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC wrote:
The current playtesting version of Adventures of Powerstick Man Extended Edition is 20.4MB zipped and growing fast (50.3MB unzipped). Yikes, it contains 6.1MB of only BAM/MIDI music, plus 14.1MB of sound effects. With CP's comparatively slow upload speed (768kbps I think?), it took a while download.

If you have a really big game like that, you should distribute it as an .rpgdir folder (by running it through unlump.exe) so that game.exe doesn't have to uplump it, which can take a looong time.

You'll have to show me how to do that next time you send me a playtest report. Will it make uploads/downloads easier/faster?

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Starting with the ypsiliform release, an RPG that contains both an ogg version of a song and an midi/bam version of a song will favor the ogg file.

I'm only now realizing the alphabetical-ness of recent release names. What a fool I've been!
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drizzle wrote:

I'm only now realizing the alphabetical-ness of recent release names. What a fool I've been!

Starting with paternoster, I decided to assign names in reverse-alphabetical order. I didn't notice that I had screwed up the "reverse" part until rusalka, if you can believe it.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:

As for Rya's idea: I hope that the new CP will give people the ability to upload multiple resources. Also, how about letting people browse the contents of uploaded archives, and autogenerating an alternative download when applicable: "without .exes or .dlls"

Multiple Resource Support has already been implemented (although the wayt downloads are presented on the page needs a bit of touch-up).

As for the archive browser and custom, auto-generated downloads, while it's something I'd love to look into, it's definitely not going to make it into the initial release.

You're right about CP's upload speed, 768kbps. I'm not too keen on paying for a dedicated server through a hosting provider, but I definitely see the need to eventually increase server speed.

~IM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: