Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Samples anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Samples anyone? Reply with quote

These are the official test landscapes for FOTT. They aren't what I would like to think of as "top secret", so I'll share a couple with you, my friends.

The above is a snap shot of a view from atop one of the large foothills.
As the text describes, you can see two bridges and an eye. You can also see a couple test houses. These probably aren't going to make the cut, but whatever. They are serving their temporary purpose.

This is a close up of the road and the bridges. You can also get a better glimpse of the details in the test houses. Ok, it's not the best shot of the houses. Oh well. They are only for testing purposes right now.

This is just my humble contribution to my MMO project: BloodSummons. Yeah, this scenery is a little pretty. It's misleading, almost. The final graphics will be much cooler. I am very excited to be able to create these landscapes. Happy

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems a bit... empty, for now. but i do like the mountians in the backround. what program are you using to make this?
Conjurer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mold ye the curvaceous glories of Jur, god of Universe's sabbatical, Leroy. In thy hand lies the power forthwith you shall consume the very essence of Creation and brazenly begin anew!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. The mountains you are probably referring to are part of the backdrop. They came standard with the program. What program?
T.ED. It's a terrain modeler. I don't know if it's "top of the line" or not, but it does a pretty good job from what I've experienced so far. It's also FUN to boot! I have no complaints yet.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terrain doesn't seem too natural. Just a bunch of ups and downs.

References always help with this sort of thing.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. Keep in mind though that what we see as a flat plain is actually riddled with bumps and holes and rocks. The grass hides most of it.
But thank you for the references.

---msw188 ---
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Keep in mind though that what we see as a flat plain is actually riddled with bumps and holes and rocks. The grass hides most of it.
I think you overexaggerated that effect, then. The frequency of the bumps seem to be extremely high and very profound.

Use smooth, low curves. I'm not sure what's going on in the grey area. Is that even grass, or some kind of gravel?

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gray area is the world that time forgot. Lol
No, it's being worked on right now. That's just the area that I haven't added texture or objects to yet.
I appreciate your suggestion, but there's a couple little problems.
1) That view is looking out a long distance. The foreground actually shows the ruggedness of the terrain that I was referring to.
2) Even if it was accurate, smooth terrain is boring. Sad...
The bumps add life to the scenery.

---msw188 ---
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three words: Ocarina of Time
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying you guys aren't right. I think there is a happy medium to be found. It might be a bit TOO bumpy. I'll work on it.

---msw188 ---
Minnek
Conjurer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent terrain for a quagmire, however. Or perhaps a meteor shower impacted field that's been eroded and worn with time.

For natural, Earth-style terrain outside a swamp, however, it is agreeably too chaotic and exaggerated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnek pretty much took the words out of my mouth. The ones I forgot to say, damn it.
Anyway, I made the improvements.

I played around with the buildings some more and made a sort of lodge. The proportions are wacky, but it looks pretty good from above.
I smoothed the world out a lot and added more textures and objects.
No, the white stuff on the right isn't snow. It's white sand.

---msw188 ---
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the log cabins should be standing out that much.

It's good to point out objects to the players, but it seems like the color of your cabins doesn't fit in with the overall palette of everything else.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astute observation. Thankfully these cabins are only test cabins. I think this landscape needs more trees, myself.

---msw188 ---
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, people usually don't build on sand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: