Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A quick Newbie question.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: A quick Newbie question. Reply with quote

I was sitting at my desk at work thinking about game balance and thought of an important question. When I set the amount of Exp that an enemy gives, is that number divided by the total number of heros in your party? I've been trying to be dilligent in getting the balance right, and this could really screw up everything I have done so far.
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it is divided amongst the amount of heros alive at the end of the fight. Therefore, if you have four heros, and only one stays alive at the end, he will get the total amount of exp.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's divided by the number of heroes who survive the battle alive. Also, the displayed experience gained during the victory dance is experience per hero.
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Good thing I didn't get too far before thinking about this. My game would have been a grind-fest!
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should actually be an option if someone wants the exp to be distributed, though it can be done with plotscripting as well (though it will show the wrong amount of exp gained).

Also even if the exp gained is divided by a certain amount the game doesn't become a grindfest. It will just make your heroes be a few levels lowers, but unless you made the battles so that they barely can be won at your calculated level, it'll still possible without grinding.

What really makes a game a grindfest is when the actualy growth of amount of exp gained stands in no relation to the growth of the exp needed. What I dislike in many games is that at the beginning I need 30 exp and get like 10 exp and later when I need 30000 exp I only get like 1000. A good balance makes it so that you always need about the same amounts of battles for a level if you follow the storyline without grinding.

PS: I also strongly advise you to test the game yourself. If you already ask about something like this I assume you never played your own game yet, but I can tell you no matter how good the balance looks on paper you'll still realize some things that can be improved by playing it then.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitly play my own game. I have just one hero in my party now, but in reality (once I program it) I should have two. This means, if I let the Exp stand as it is, I would have to fight twice as many battles to get my characters to the desired levels. Hence the term: "grind-fest." I replay my game after any major change I make, just to make sure everything is running as I intended it to. I don't program everything in the order which it is presented in the game, that's all.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with two heroes the battles are also multiple times easier. Also keep in mind if you add the possibility of team-change that some players might only take one hero into the party to get more exp.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the battles would be exponentially easier, that wouldn't make them less of a grind. On the contrary, I think it would make the game MORE tedious. Holding down the space bar battles are something I would like to avoid. I am only going to have three playable heros, so I don't think I am going to allow for hero switching.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding down space is a completely different problem than grinding. In the current Xerion for example there are basically no skills and attacks so you just keep pressing space all the time, but it's still not grindy because you can always keep moving on to the next place and you never get the feeling that you have to stay at one place and kill monsters for more levels.

My game Gerania often needs 20 battles to level up, but it's still not grindy because leveling up doesn't have a major role. A much bigger role is to use the correct skills in the battles to conserve HP/MP. So what I'm getting at is, instead of raising exp, raise the tactic within the battles to solve boring battles problem. Raising the exp won't solve anything, even if you only need to press space twice instead of ten times doesn't really make the battles better, instead it only makes them shorter.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
even if you only need to press space twice instead of ten times doesn't really make the battles better, instead it only makes them shorter.
Short = good for random battles.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Newbie Power on this one. I wouldn't want to play a game where every couple of steps I have to fight a drawn-out battle. That's just me, though.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Even if your battles have tactics and difficulty (yes, you can have difficult battles that are still short) they should end fairly quickly.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Leonhart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tend to agree with Newbie Power on this one. I wouldn't want to play a game where every couple of steps I have to fight a drawn-out battle. That's just me, though.

I was okay with random battles once, when I was still playing the older games like Suikoden and Tales of Destiny. Now, it's a different story for me. Games are becoming better nowadays and I often feel pissed off when you lose your momentum because you suddenly get sucked in another one of those fights. That is also just me, though.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making battles shorter doesn't make them automatically better. If you don't enjoy battles then it's not because they are long but because they are bad.

Besides there are much more factors which you can't ignore like encounter rate and ability to run from the battles.

There can be a game where battles are 99% of the playing time which is still good and there can also be a game where battles are only 1% of the playing time but which is bad.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ideal balance would be battles that make the player think and rewards that satisfy the player.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: