Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Just a small thing about uploading games.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drizzle wrote:
I actually think that the title screen is a much better way of differentiating your game than, say, a battle screen. Unless you've got crazy graphics or a non traditional battlesystem, nothing about showing the battle screen is going to set your game apart. The title screen however is a little more interesting. I don't think there's a problem with that. I do think that the game list should be sortable by user rating, average review score, or whatever else you want, not just alphabetically.

I was just about to say something along those lines. A game can be beautiful and still be broken (see FFH), while an ugly game can still rock (see Bliss). If you are smart, you'd focus more on your description, and then post whatever screenshot appeases you.
As a player, I can tell you that if a game has really bad grammar/spelling in its description, I don't get it, just as a rule of thumb. Other then that, it really isn't too hard to sift the crap from the good stuff. It's about 99% crap, 1% good stuff.
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
I mean there are exceptions, sometimes I talk with humans that I can consider as more intelligent and when they tell me something I find it reasonable and believe it, but here that's not the case.

...Well, I vote this best thread of 2008.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessary to use a title screen at all, and I doubt I will be creating any game with one (title menus are a different matter).

Incidently, I wonder why there are title screens on the 'Screenshots' page? Probably to show off that our users can draw?

Actually, is anyone willing to donate more screenshots for that page? A screenshot from the attack or enemy editors would be great, and how about battle screenshots with something actually happening, a couple of different types of attacks?

Download counts for any games that have been on the gamelist for a while (more than a year or so?) are 99% web crawler clicks.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...And then Ronin Catholic trolls the forums some more.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
...And then Surlaw posts something hilarious.

Quote:
...And then Ronin Catholic trolls the forums some more

This is every thread in which I post four times as much content as Surlaw, because, irregardless of how I phrase it or what I beleive, everything I say is "trolling." And everything Surlaw says is hilarious(on top, or because, of most of it being both harsh and true).

Quote:
Actually, is anyone willing to donate more screenshots for that page?

Now that you ask, I think I'll get right on it. I've actually got a couple of battle screens with stuff happening.

Quote:
Download counts for any games that have been on the gamelist for a while (more than a year or so?) are 99% web crawler clicks.

So I've actually only got about four or five downloads, one of which was me testing whether or not downloading works, and one of which was me copying it off CP to post on Slime Salad, and one of which was me telling a friend about it on another website.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Catholic wrote:

This is every thread in which I post four times as much content as Surlaw, because, irregardless of how I phrase it or what I beleive, everything I say is "trolling." And everything Surlaw says is hilarious(on top, or because, of most of it being both harsh and true).

I won't be answering this, as that's what you want, yes?

Stop posting kindle for flamewars or make me believe that you actually mean what you're saying, then I won't call you a troll.

Let's see if we can get back on topic or leave it alone, why not?
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Catholic wrote:
irregardless

Great word.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:

That's not really true. Any web crawler that conforms to the Robot Exclusion Protocol will not contribute to the download count. Your standard non-malicious web crawler should conform to this protocol. I've also hard-coded the removal of the gilgamesh mirror server downloads from the count.
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I thought that until recently-ish, the download links were not on the exclusion list due to an oversight, so robots were following those links and incrementing the counters?
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
But I thought that until recently-ish, the download links were not on the exclusion list due to an oversight, so robots were following those links and incrementing the counters?

The robots.txt file hasn't been updated since October of 2006. It's been a while since bots have been allowed to download games and skew the download count.
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fuzzy memory, 16 months ago seemed kind of recent to me.
Chenzi
User was banned for this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
I have a fuzzy memory, 16 months ago seemed kind of recent to me.

16 months is like, a day in CP. Since it's generally a few months between posts and all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: