Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Just a small thing about uploading games.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Just a small thing about uploading games. Reply with quote

On the screenshot upload screen, please clarify that people shouldn't upload their title screen. It basically tells you nothing about the game itself... yet so many people use that. ._.

Actually an even better idea would be to make two screenshot upload fields and one is labeled "Walkabout screenshot" and one is labeled "Battle screenshot".
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People should be allowed to upload whatever they want that pertains to their game. If people don't download it because it doesn't reveal enough information about the game, then that's the fault of the person who uploaded the game.

But I think multiple screenshots are in the works.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ok you shouldn't really force the player but a hint like "Screenshots of title screens are usually not very useful" would be nice if it doesn't exist yet.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Is there any rule that your game has to be effectively marketed? If I were you, I'd come up with some other hints for getting your game downloaded (Not saying "lol, dis game sux" in the description, speaking The English would be good starts) and write an article about it for the wiki, or one of the different periodicals. I don't really think it's necessary to make it a rule for the site, though.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Have a look at http://castleparadox.com/testproject.php?id=768)
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit glitchy, the screenshots seem to change when I move my mouse and the faster I move my mouse the faster they change. xD

Quote:
Why? Is there any rule that your game has to be effectively marketed?

Well as I said it should rather be a hint instead of a rule. But there's a point in having it here. As stated Castle Paradox wants a good and complete list of all the OHR games and better explanations and screenshots of the games would automatically make it a way better.
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A bit glitchy, the screenshots seem to change when I move my mouse and the faster I move my mouse the faster they change. xD

I really hope that this is supposed to be a joke and not the fact that you didn't notice your mouse hovering over the thumbnail images. Neutral
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it wasn't a joke, but now that you mention it, it seems related! However the thumbnails don't display at all for me (IE 7.0), so I didn't really realize that there are supposed to be thumbnails. XD

But sometimes the picture also changes when I don't move my mouse.

Also because the picture descriptions have different sizes, it gets really glitchy when you hover over another invisible thumbnail, which causes the whole screen to go down and might cause you to land on another screenshot with your mouse and then you can get lost in an endless loop of jumping up and down (until you move your mouse). ^^'
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's right! The thumbnails are broken under IE, I mentioned this and I thought IM was able to fix it? I guess that must have been some other IE-only problem.

Yes, I suggested to IM that the page table not resize when the screenshot caption changes. It's nauseating, don't you think?
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
Oh that's right! The thumbnails are broken under IE, I mentioned this and I thought IM was able to fix it? I guess that must have been some other IE-only problem.

Yes, I suggested to IM that the page table not resize when the screenshot caption changes. It's nauseating, don't you think?

I did fix those IE issues you had pointed out, TMC. I just realized that I never uploaded those final versions. I've uploaded the latest version, so the IE and Firefox versions should look almost identical now. I also removed the caption to avoid that nauseating resize issue. Currently the caption only appears when you click on the thumbnails. Hovering over the screenshots does show caption via tool-tip. I'm thinking of implementing the overlay seen in the current download stats on the gamelist-display pages. While I am a huge fan of the lightbox look, the current implementation makes it nothing more than an inefficient way to view the caption. I'm working on implementing dynamic zooming within the lightbox, allowing users to expand the screenshots to larger sizes without disrupting the general page layout. For those of you who might not know what I'm talking about, click on a thumbnail image in the new page...I need to add some sort of text or other visual indication so people know that there's more to the thumbnails than a mouse-over.

I'm already a week late on my bi-weekly content updates, but it's been a hectic three weeks at work. I've been researching various javascript techniques while exploring my options regarding review creation. I really need to iron out what is and isn't feasible in the creation/editing phase before implementing the database backend or actual review display.

I hope to have something to show next week. Hopefully my work load will lighten now that Beta 2 has been live for a week and all critical post launch bugs have been patched with no new critical bugs reported.

~IM
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it works better now, but you also removed the picture description completely.

Also the elements aren't positioned very well when you use a lower resolution or resize the window. They will go ontop of each other.
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you didn't want to give away too much and leave everything as a surprise?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving out too much info is bad as well. I hate when I wanna play some game and then already get so much info on the game that I don't even feel like I could find anything new when actually playing it anymore. The screenshot should only reveal the graphics of the game, story-dialogue in the screenshots or battle screenshots where you can see a hero that you don't start with should be avoided.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: What of these? Reply with quote

What does this screenshot do for you?

What about this one?

And what do you think when you see this one?

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. This game has pretty high HP values for an OHR game. Graphics are average and you play some furry hero.

2. This game looks pretty nice, reminds me of Final Fantasy, however the dialogue displayed destroys my hope in it being a serious game close to Final Fantasy. The "a" letter looks strange.

3. Joke Game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: