Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Just a small thing about uploading games.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first game is Densetsu no Okami, and the high HP values stem from the fact that you start the game playing the legendary "super ancestor hero" the NPCs talk about, instead of only hearing about how powerful he was(the actual heroes begin with ten and fourteen hit points).

The second game was Nintendo Quest, which uses graphics stolen (mostly) from the first three Final Fantasies, and the first four Dragon Warriors. The screenshot there only showed Dragon Warrior images. Yes, it is a joke game. And, yes, as Surlaw pointed out in his Terrible Game Review, the lowercase As are far too big. I don't remember whether or not I did that as a joke.

The third game is a joke game. I was working on it, and had taken four screenshots, but the rest of the game was deleted in a system crash.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy H was the #1 downloaded OHR game on the site (it might still be) and all it had was a title screen.
Pitch Black only has a title screen and it has tons of downloads. Stop only had a title screen forever until I changed it (then downloads stopped [pun not intended]). Seventh Day only had a title screen and it got downloads. The only game I originally posted with a screenshot was Pitch Black 2, and no one wants to play that glitchy mess anyway.
Point: People can upload whatever the hell they want. Hell, if a game has a badass title screen, I often want to download it.
So yeah. That's it.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well obviously more people download the game if they don't see how much the ingame graphics suck. It's just a reason why people shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Even if you get more downloads the downloaders will just drop playing the game the moment they start playing it.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I like to just upload random pictures I made rather than actual screenshots of the game. I know I'm not the only one to post unrelated pics, either. For example, several of the games' "original soundtrack" game listings have screens, as does Fenrir's "Newbie Game" entry, which is actually concept art for FFH and TSSE.

RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say Rya, at least you're consistent with your retarded arguments.

The title screen is the first and the last thing a player sees when they open up the game. A great title screen can say everything and more about what your game is about. There's absolutely no need at all to show off special scenes of your game, or portray the walkabouts or battle graphics. Showing the title screen and providing a quick bio of your game without giving away it's secrets is all someone needs to get hooked.

This could be one of the dumbest arguments you've started yet, but like I said, at least you're consistent.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Rya, if you saw a game with this screenshot, would you be tempted to try it out?

"Pic unrelated." It's not a title screen, but it tells a whole lot less than a title screen would.

Compare that to this, the screen I submitted for the only project I ever took seriously(besides my cancelled FF1 remake):

Title Screen. And after almost three years, my download count is still at about one hundred. And, no, nobody ever bothered to guess my(then) favorite color.

FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a pretty good count actually, considering since for about the last three years there's only been about 20-30 active OHR users.

I mean look at Slime Salad, it only has 59 registered-at-all users.

don't fret too much about your download count.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point, Fyre. Maybe I should turn off the spambot filters. I get about five rejected spambots a day. I could easily be up in the thousands of registered-at-all users, a vital stat for any forum.

Actually, Fyre does make a good point: you're not going to get jaw-dropping download numbers without advertising outside of the OHR community. That said, you shouldn't bother advertising outside of the OHR community unless you've got something worth showing.

Darkmoor Dungeon got twenty-something downloads that I can attribute to posting gameplay videos on Youtube. Still not an impressive number, but then I haven't really promoted the videos -- they're kind of something you'd have to stumble on. I did actively advertise the game in another forum once and it got a lot of positive response. Back in the day, Ends of the Earth and Fat Frog got a lot of downloads just by being on download.com and AOL, respectively.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Darkmoor Beckons hopes to be a larger game, if it is released and proves to be worthy of such, maybe that would be worthy of heavy outside promotion.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I wish you'd even try to understand my point. I'm not looking at it from the developer's perspective, I'm looking at it from the players perspective who doesn't want to download and try 100+ games just to find a good one. You could at least admit that I'm right that it'd be easier to evaluate a game if the creators actually showed game content on the screenshots.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
You could at least admit that I'm right that it'd be easier to evaluate a game if the creators actually showed game content on the screenshots.

No, because I don't think you're right.

...And then you say, "Well it doesn't matter, it's all opinions anyway."

...And then Ronin Catholic trolls the forums some more.

...And then I say, "<well thought-out contradictory argument> yada-yada"

...And then someone comes in and says I'm being mean.

...And then you say, "I don't care, I'm right, because it's my opinion."

...And then Surlaw posts something hilarious.

...And then I say, "Screw this crap," and I go to bed.

Now, it doesn't actually need to take place.

BUT OF COURSE:

Quote:
If you think something I said is wrong, then you probably just didn't understand it.

So, there you go. You're always right, and I'm always wrong! THE MYSTERIES OF THE WORLD ARE REVEALED!
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that the title screen is a much better way of differentiating your game than, say, a battle screen. Unless you've got crazy graphics or a non traditional battlesystem, nothing about showing the battle screen is going to set your game apart. The title screen however is a little more interesting. I don't think there's a problem with that. I do think that the game list should be sortable by user rating, average review score, or whatever else you want, not just alphabetically.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with what Calehay just said. Rya's arrogant self-righteous opinions are definitely what makes me dislike him so much. I mean... this thread was basically going to end up like this anyways. He's never going to get it, because he's posting this thread to get people to agree with him, but when someone says "Oh no, it'd be better to be this way." he flips out and is like "you're not right you're wrong." If you'd just read your posts before you posted them Rya, you wouldn't come off looking like such a chump.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just don't understand, RMZ.
Snippy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when I reread my posts they seem to very reasonable to me, while everything someone else says usually looks just wrong.

I mean there are exceptions, sometimes I talk with humans that I can consider as more intelligent and when they tell me something I find it reasonable and believe it, but here that's not the case.

For me it feels pretty much like I'm saying "Candy is sweet." and then everyone else comes and claims "No, candy is bitter."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: