Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Hi. I'm a writer.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaxynX
The Wayward Scholar. Also, Cocks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Hi. I'm a writer. Reply with quote

Before you clicked on this you rolled your eyes and thought great, another one.

Seriously, though. Hello. I recently stumbled across this community and was wondering whether any individual or group needed a writer for a game. I've found I have too much free time and would like a writing project to use fill some of the void.

TL;DR: WILL WRITE FOR FOOD
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writer? I'm not too familiar with that term, you mean like writing all the dialogues?
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Writer? I'm not too familiar with that term, you mean like writing all the dialogues?

Pretty much a guy that helps with tweaking the storyline so that it's a bit more creative, unique, and altogether better.

I thinks?
Leonhart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you first post a sample of your works?
JSH357

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a writer too.

You're not going to find anyone receptive here, I don't think. Propose a game idea, work on it yourself, show some proof that it's going somewhere, and then people might be interested. You'll still likely end up doing the bulk of the work on your own.

I hate to sound discouraging, but the fact is, in the business of VIDEO games, even in the amateur sphere, some kind of visible product is pretty much a necessity if you want to generate interest.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting good story ideas is not really needed I think. I have quite some good story ideas, but I could need someone to write down the dialogues for me.

Honestly I think that too many have "good story ideas". This is actually the main reason why many games are never finished. Before the creator finishes them he has another great idea, drops the old projects and starts the new one.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Just getting good story ideas is not really needed I think. I have quite some good story ideas, but I could need someone to write down the dialogues for me.

Honestly I think that too many have "good story ideas". This is actually the main reason why many games are never finished. Before the creator finishes them he has another great idea, drops the old projects and starts the new one.
Just start writing text boxes that coincides with the story, characters, and NPCs in Custom, even before drawing graphics and such.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the order does change much.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps put story in fruition so that one will stick with it easier, and can plan plotscripts and NPCs around the text boxes. This is how I was able to get my game going in the first place.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it a bit troublesome when you have to add the graphics in later? Besides then I'd just get bored faster.

I usually didn't have to bother with graphics at all since I only did text-rpg the last years.

Hm I really should finish the second mission of Hacker Alice and release a demo to show you what I mean with dialogues. XD
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't it a bit troublesome when you have to add the graphics in later?
No. Order of graphics don't matter. They're troublesome either way.

It doesn't have to be every text box in the game, but just enough to get both the creator and the player started.

Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you are talking about for the demo version? I guess there should be dialogue there yeah. However doesn't change the fact that writing dialogues is really boring for me, but making up a good story and summarize it on some pages is easy. ^^'
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... I'm not sure we're on the same page, and I know why...

Quote:

I shouldn't have quoted that first sentence.

Quote:
Just start writing text boxes that coincides with the story, characters, and NPCs in Custom, even before drawing graphics and such. This way you solidify one of your ideas and not have to worry about the rest.

Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But only because he writes the dialogues first doesn't prevent him from having a "great new idea" and drop the old project. Only difference is that he has wasted less time on graphics then, but graphics could actually be reused and dialogues can't.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. That sounds pessimistic. I thought pessimism is bad. Slamming down the story helped save my current game from being another rehash of nothingness and graphics demonstration.

Now most of my ideas actually relate to my current game in some way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: