Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

My script has ghosts in it!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: My script has ghosts in it! Reply with quote

1. I made a script that has a bunch of npcs walk somewhere, and then teleports to another map, via the "wait for npc(x)" command (I also tried it with "wait for all")...but, as the NPCs arrive at their destination, nothing happens; they just sit there, and the game freezes. The thing that really throws me for a loop is that it works sometimes, but not others. It's the exact same code!!! Why does it do this to me?

2. Player advances a text box, whereupon they are teleported to a "dark" place on the map (black tiles, for black background effect so I don't have to make a black screen just for a backdrop, which I ended up having to do anyways) and shown another text box. In theory, it works fine. In practice, it goes to the black area and freezes. No text box. No nothing...Just perpetual darkness.

(Note: The original file was made with an older version, and then updated when I loaded it into the latest one. Could this be what's causing everything to mess up?)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief! I haven't heard of anything like that. So this was with Ubersetzung? Could you please attach your game/testcase to a 'bug report', or just email it to someone (I'll take it).
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, didn't you help me out with this exact same script three years ago? Anyways, I've played around with it, and figured out it had to do with one script in particular: the autorun script on the map.

Code:
plotscript, guards, begin # this is the map's autorun script
# if I omit this script, or make it so the map doesn't autorun it, the bottom script works as it should (mostly)
  while (current map == 3) do,
  (
    if ((hero y (me) >> 6), and, (hero y (me) << 9)) then,
    (
      if (((npc x (1) << hero x (me)), and, (NPC direction (1) == east)), or, ((npc x (1) >> hero x (me)), and, (NPC direction (1) == west))) then,
      begin
        suspend player
        show text box (22)
        wait for text box
        use door (2) # this part works fine
        show text box (61)
        wait for text box
        game over
      end
    )
    if ((hero y (me) >> 12), and, (hero y (me) << 15)) then,
    (
      if (((npc x (2) << hero x (me)), and, (NPC direction (2) == east)), or, ((npc x (2) >> hero x (me)), and, (NPC direction (2) == west))) then,
      begin
        suspend player
        show text box (22)
        wait for text box
        use door (2) # as does this part
        show text box (61)
        wait for text box
        game over
      end
    )
    wait(1) #haaa, this was thanks to you, remember?
  )
end

plotscript, badending, begin #this runs when you pick a certain choice from a text box
  teleport to map (3, 6, 16)
  suspend player
  suspend obstruction
  suspend box advance
  # guard tripping alarm sequence, removed because it doesn't affect the
  # problem
  use door (2) # door 2 leads to another spot on the same map (the dark
  # area I mentioned)  Once it delivers the player to this spot, game
  # actvity ceases for some reason.  If I take the use door command out,
  # things continue as they should...except it looks funny cause everyone
  # is still standing there when it should be a black screen
  resume box advance
  show text box (61)
  wait for text box
  game over
end

Something tells me that autorun scripts in this version are like music: it continues without reloading if it's the same one. Maybe after using the door, the badending script is aborted. It worked with previous versions; I know, I playtested it until I puked.

I guess I've conquered #2. I'll have to find a way around this obstacle, shouldn't be too hard. Still working on isolating the other problem, though. And, thanks again for your help...again!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no_shot wrote:
Something tells me that autorun scripts in this version are like music: it continues without reloading if it's the same one. Maybe after using the door, the badending script is aborted. It worked with previous versions; I know, I playtested it until I puked.

Scripts continue without reloading if they are the topmost script, and if "Permit double triggering of scripts" is not set. By topmost, I mean that they are the active script, and are halted on a wait command (not a wait in some script they called).
I'm not aware of any reason that it should have changed.

But wait, I'm confused: when badending is run, the teleporttomap should trigger the guards autorun script, which will block the rest of badending (because it ought to continue looping until you leave the map).

However, '' . bug_title('430') . '' might be occurring here. This is fixed in the nightlies - you could download them and try it out to check. However, the fix for bug 430 breaks certain games that depend on it, and will have to be undone before the next release.

Another thing you could try: press F10 and check what scripts are running, and in what order, when the game freezes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum