Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Hey guys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planethunter wrote:
Any colours you choose are fine, just remember:
If you want your character to be calm, use complementary colours.
If you want your character to 'active' use opposite hues.

You can use whatever you want... it's not like colors dictate someone's personality. You could have a pacifist who wears blood red clothes, or you could have a mass murderer who wears blood red clothes. People will understand that the clothes don't meld with their personality.
planethunter wrote:
and yes, in general black is evil, and white is good. In general.

In general in fiction and mythology.
Octopussy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get this:

The main character, Frodo, is a dishonroed monk. That is why he is blue. He looks up in the sky and so the story begins of his fantasy. It is the Fantasy Over the Blue Monk.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frodo? have you no shame?

Ripping off FUABMX is one thing, but it's a whole nother story to rip off JRR.
planethunter
Lost In Emotion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of colours... again.

First of they were only guidelines, and I suggested them because I felt that
one should take some time and plan carefully. The main reason for this is
because main charcaters will undoubtably be featured for most of the
game. All I ment was that colours aren't a big deal, but if the player has to
stare at them for hours, then plan it. Alles klar?

I'll give the italics a rest... for now.

Octo, come on! nobodies going to buy the whole 'frodo' thing,
my only hope is that this cliche of game makes sense aside
from the fact of ripped ideas.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
clothes don't meld with their personality.

Wrong. Totally wrong.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personality definitely does dictate the clothes we wear, but we don't pick colors to go along with our personality. If one has a bad temper, they won't necessarily wear all red. If someone is extremely passive, they won't necessarily wear all blue.

Take me for example: I'm an optimist and a pacifist, and yet most of my clothes are black. Personality dictates the clothes, but just not in such specific rules as planethunter is stating.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MultiColoredWizard wrote:
Quote:
clothes don't meld with their personality.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

Although I'd love to hear some explanation, I don't think you're capable of coming up with one.

Frankly, I don't care much about what clothes I wear. As long as it's not torn and doesn't have foul language or references to popular people, I'll wear it. I have clothes of most every color, and in the morning I pick whatever's on top of the other clothes.

Sadly, my clothes have not melded with my personality. I must continue on, a shell of a man, who has been unable to mind-meld with his garments.

Iblis, I don't really have any argument to give you because, more or less, that's basically what I think. I mean, if someone hates rap, they aren't going to wear clothes about rap stars and songs (unless they're under the influence of peer pressure...). If someone LIKES the color red, they'll probably wear more red than other colors. I'm just saying people's subconscious don't force them to pick clothes based on if they're angry, sad, mellow, or anything else.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clothes are key. Did you ever know no Final Fantasy final boss ever wears pants? And that almost all heroes tend to have their left shoulder armored but not their right?

Clothing is WHAT MAKES THE PERSON. There is no denying it.
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. At least, when it comes to game design. It's very hard to come up with a memorable, original face. Sometimes hair styles play a role in character design, but a lot of the time it's the clothing that is focused on the most. The clothing gives the characters in a game individuality, and allow the player to remember them, and recongise them. And you can't forget that the colors on the character's clothing often represents their innar feelings and personality.

I mean, Zidane would be weird if his clothes weren't those nice teal and blue colors. Imagine him in ANY other color, and it just seems wrong. It doesn't match his personality at all. Try it with any other character you can think of. It makes a huge difference, eh?

And just to point it out. FF didn't invent the "Black and White Magic" thing. People have LOOOONG been calling Wizards and Witches people who practise the "black arts". They were "supposedly" able to cast magic, like bring out fire to burns stuff and what not. White has also been used in the past in the same manner, and I'm sure you can figure that out.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't remember what Zidane looked like. I do remember his childish face with the more-normal-than-usual-in-FF-games hair. And the tail. Of all the FF characters I remember, the only ones whose clothes I can remember off the top of my head are Vivi/ANY BLACK MAGE and Steiner/ANY TRADITIONAL KNIGHT. I remember a ton of faces, though.

Shadowiii, you just posted two cliches.

Cube, clothes DO allow someone to recognize them (since they're wearing them the entire game, I'd remember almost any FF character by their clothes if I actually saw a picture) but that doesn't mean they have to reflect their personality. In fact, that's one of the most unrealistic things I've ever heard. Realistically, the characters wouldn't even wear the same clothes throughout the entire game. Does that mean their personality would change? No. There are some games where a character's appearance changes based on what armor the character is wearing. Does their personality change with the armor? No.

As for it not being right for Zidane to have anything other than blue clothes (other than I don't remember what they looked like in the first place) because it wouldn't fit his personality, it's more like it wouldn't fit your own memories of what he looked like. After seeing anything looking any one way for as long as you've seen it, it would most definitely not seem right for it to look differently. It just doesn't fit in with your memory. Since I don't remember what his clothes look like at all, all I have is his face, his size (which is basically that of a young teenager), the fact he has a tail, and his personality. I can put a bunch of different outfits to that which wouldn't seem odd to me.

And another note about the unrealisticness of it, if any of the heros had half a brain they would change their clothes after getting some bad guys mad at them. They would have to say 'Look for such and such, last seen in blue clothes' instead of 'Look for such and such, ALWAYS in the blue clothes which we will now provide a drawing and description of for you. Since no one else in this world wears clothes like them, it should be pretty easy for you to pick them out from a distance and cause some trouble for them.'

See, the point is that you're talking about video game stories and video game characters here. If you read a good book, which will have a MUCH more realistic story with MUCH more realistic characters, you'll find that people actually change their clothes, and very few of them (I believe I've seen two, well, not including soldiers who HAVE to wear uniforms) will always wear even SHADES of the same color. This is also true of real people.

So colors don't really matter that much in regard to a person's personality (except for their immediate feelings, black for mourning, etc.). Unless you want to say that most of the people on the planet have no real personality because they wear different colored clothes often, the argument that colors or styles HAVE to refer to a person's individuality holds little water.

EDIT: Actually, after some thought, I remembered Sephiroth's clothing, Cecil's clothing, and Shadow/ANY NINJA's clothing. I also remember the FF1 characters clothings, but uh... they were kinda incredibly basic, and, sad as it may be, I remember them more from 8-Bit Theater than anywhere else anyway.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As long as it's not torn and doesn't have foul language or references to popular people, I'll wear it.

*ahem*
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good examples of characters that'd look different in different clothing can be seen throughout various games; look for certain events where the characters change outfits for some reason (two examples from FF6: The opera scene, and when Gau meets his dad)
Music Composer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shields his eyes*

AHHH!! DEY RNT WEARIN N E PANZ! OO MAH IIIZ R BURNIN!1!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
msw188

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Fancy Colours (great early Chicago song) Reply with quote

Most of my shirts are white, but that's mostly to deflect the heat of sunlight.
Cube, I'd just like to say that the Black Arts dealt with plenty more than what FF1 called black magic, but that's not to say that your point is incorrect. But in any case, this provides clear evidence that color does supply some idea to the mind besides just the color itself. In video games, I find myself wondering just how important color of characters is. The more I think about it, the more important I'm thinking it is, at least in a very distant sense. What I mean is that because video games are so based on the visual (you don't get to hear the person's voice, or if you do it's not realistic enough to give you an impression of them) that the color of a character can't help but add a great deal to the impressions that you will get. Nevertheless, I think that any amount of good dialogue can color a character better than any clothes can (and it can color over whatever color they are wearing). Color just seems to be the main non-dialogue element that can cause people to get an impression of a person.
PS: Is there a good synonym for impression? I got tired of typing it so much, but I couldn't think of a better, or even equal, word for my meaning.
planethunter
Lost In Emotion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cube's right, I mean clothes do matter, in terms of games. The player will have to stare at them for most of the game. So at least choose clothes
that reflect the character. I my game, you can customise your appearance,
so the player can't complain. Though when it's ready I-do-not-know.

I guess the clothes people choose unconsciously reflect a persons mood.
But I don't think that emotion can be simply defined, for some pain is
pleasure, so there is no universal code. Only gestures are universal,
take the smile for instance, no matter what your race, religion, sex,
background or language you automatically understand the meaning of
a smile. But, appearances can be decieving, when a sales clerk smiles
and says "have a nice day" you know she's saying this because of company policy rather than her joy to witnessing a sale.

I hope that made things clear ... for now at least. :¬)

oh and blazes battles inc. : first off if hero's clothes look different to you
then that does not actually mean that the are different in the game.
I mean no matter how strange their clothes are, it might still be the
norm. Besides such original clothing should be praised, I mean would
you like if every game character you played as wore blue jeans and
a white t-shirt? The reason why most people play games is to escape,
to escape from the normalities that is boring real life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: