Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A...TRPG battle system?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DobyGillis
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: A...TRPG battle system? Reply with quote

OK, I was wondering if anyone thinks it feasible to plotscript a TRPG-typed battle system. I don't have much plotscripting knowledge at all, but it seems like a pretty simplified version of almost any other language, of which I know a couple.

My idea (incredibly rough right now) is to simply rename one stat to Movement [[[EDIT: Actually, I might just divide the Agility score by a certain amount since renaming a stat to Movement would kinda screw up my idea for actual battles amidst these tactical ones]]] and have some internal computation use that to create transparent blank NPCs one space more than the Move score away from the player in diamond fashion (kind of like you'd see when faced with movement on Arc the Lad). These NPCs, when "talked to" would end the players turn. If another enemy NPC was "talked to" a battle between the two forces would ensue. Here's a rough idea:

Player Character with Movement score 4 (N stands for transparent npc, O for valid move space, & for player)

_____N
____NON
___NOOON
__NOOOOON
_NOOOOOOON
NOOOO&OOOON
_NOOOOOOON
__NOOOOON
___NOOON
____NON
_____N

The other scores (ATK, DEF, AIM, etc) would all internally correspond to different user-defined formulas for damage, accuracy, etc for long range attacks, and exactly how they would normally in a regular battle. I would probably use some get-key function for a spells or items window, which, when selected, would in turn get their own range of usability. It would probably be a bit tedius in execution, but I just want to see if it's possible.

Would anyone be interested in tackling this task?

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.

Last edited by DobyGillis on Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Moogle1 did create an "OHRRPGCE Tactics" game, and Monheart and I at one point decided to try out a tactical game (it never went anywhere, mostly because Monheart disappeared). It is quite possible, just difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been done...

I've worked with the system myself, actually, but you're better off not using the OHRRPGCE for something like this. Trust me.

(But then, if you can avoid using an RPG Maker at ALL, you should.)
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMR seems to be making a pretty good one right now, but of course the engine has a lot more going for it now than it did a decade ago.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: