Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Fedora Spade: Death Wears a Fedora released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Fedora Spade: Death Wears a Fedora released Reply with quote

Hi,

I know i haven't been posting here for forever... and I also know that when I was here, I wasn't actually here. I was more of a lurker than anything else. I've moved back to Indonesia at the end of December. I don't work in a game design company nor do I work in a fancy graphic design firm. I decided to delve into the textile business.It's something that's completely unrelated to my degree, but it's something that I
could learn to love, and it pays quite well (for Indonesia's standards of living anyway.) I guess sometimes the roads in life take you to unexpected places.

Well, enough of that random rambling. Despite my busy schedule at the textile store, I still manage to find enough free time to make games. I contemplated quitting game making altogether when I decided to move back to Indonesia, but it seems like game making will always be a part of my life. Yes, I know, what a cheesy thing to say. Unfortunately, the games I am currently making aren't made with OHR, they're made with the Game Maker using Rinku's Tomato Engine. I hope it's still okay for me to post the ad for my game here.

I'm currently working on another adventure game called Fedora Spade (not a horror game, sorry.) The game uses a GUI similar to an old nintendo game called Princess Tomato in Salad Kingdom. It's a faux-noir detective adventure game inspired by the old Tex Murphy games (primarily Martian Memorandum and Under a Killing Moon.) The game also features an interrogation mechanics which is of course, inspired by the Phoenix Wright series.

Here are some old screenshots of Episode 1 of Fedora Spade before Retrogamer proofreaded it.

I have always wanted to make a NES-styled game since I played Horgoth and Trailblazer Happy

So far episode 1 and 2 of Fedora Spade atr done, but it's still too early to release them. They still need some polishing and tweaking.

And here's a mock-up box shot Fedora Spade ep 1 & 2 that I finished a couple of days ago.

The games will be out sometime in late May or early June hopefully.
"I am Collins. From my position in the moon's orbit, I watched Armstrong and Aldrin land and walk on the surface. I was so close to the ground of the moon, and yet I returned without having trod upon it... I am Collins." -Friend

Last edited by Friend on Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Ysoft_Entertainment
VB Programmer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your graphics never cease to amaze me Friend. The screens look amazing. I will play the game whenever its going to be out.
Its too bad that it isn't done with OHR though. Oh well, to each it's own I guess. I don't plan on switching the engines just yet, I will stick around with OHR until I can make a decent game.

Looking forward to the release.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome!
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, looks great.

If you fancy making a 3D box shot, here's a little linky:

http://www.mouseindustries.com/cb/
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Orchy-pie, never stop doing what makes you happy. Plus it makes all of us happy to see whatever you're working on.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, disappointing that the game wasn't ready for download. I will be looking forward to it, I'd gladly be a playtester if you need any one to do such things.

Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare was one of the few companies capable of having graphics on the NES like your game has, heh.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cereal box program is pretty neat. Thanks!
"I am Collins. From my position in the moon's orbit, I watched Armstrong and Aldrin land and walk on the surface. I was so close to the ground of the moon, and yet I returned without having trod upon it... I am Collins." -Friend
Rinku

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's funny is that this game *could* have been made in the OHR, considering it doesn't use that many colors and uses a pseudo-320x200 resolution. The only things that I think couldn't have been done in the OHR are the semi-transparency effect when characters appear when a room starts up (which wasn't really intended but it looked nice so I kept it in the engine), and the scrolling effect for the text (the text scrolls in like old NES/SNES RPGs rather than appearing all at once).
Rinku

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think its font probably also couldn't have been done in the OHR, since I think it's 10x10 rather than 8x8.
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INTRODUCTION

Hello there, gumshoe. Fedora Spade's the name. I'm a dick. What? No, not figuratively. The lady across the street might argue otherwise, but I digress. Anyway, I'm a detective, a homicide detective to be exact. I didn't grow up wanting to be a detective, mind you. I hated the cops & robbers game... the other kids always forced me to play the bad guy and gave me a good ass-kicking whenever I was caught. Not a very pleasant childhood memory, yeah? But that's beside the point. I wanted to be an astronaut. I just thought that it'd be neat to explore space, see? But it never happened, as you can probably tell. Math and physics... I can't say that they're my favorite subjects. Plus, watching the challenger explode into a big firework is pretty traumatizing.

So why did I become a homicide detective, you ask? Well, apparently it's the only job that's available for me here. Crime's rampant here in Lawless City, and dead bodies continue to crowd the streets. They need people to combat crime, expendable people; preferably people that aren't too bright in the head. People with a diploma in sociology, or psychology, or some other I-just-want-to-graduate-quickly major. People from third-rate universities who can't seem to find a decent job. People like me. It's dangerous work, but it sure beats flipping burgers. Or is it? I don't know... it's too late for regret now.

Anyway, gumshoe, you can check some of my recent adventures below:

http://www.studioeres.com/fedora/FS-episode1.zip
http://www.studioeres.com/fedora/FS-episode2.zip

----

Well, it takes a lot longer than I have expected, but now it's done. I think both of the game should be bug free by now, that is unless... I managed to break the game in the process of editing the text (which happens sometimes, accidentally deleting "s can lead to a whole lot of problems.) This is a limited release, I want to make sure that I squash all the bugs before I actually really announce the release elsewhere.

A couple of things before you download the game. Z is the action key and X is the cancel key. The game won't work on Vista at this point... and lastly, extract to games to different folders (both game use the same save file, which is tomato.sav, so...)

Let me know what you think of the game(s)

Orchard,
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these. The character development and storylines are simply fantastic. Kudos on these, Friend.

[edit] I'm not sure if this is a bug or what not, but in chapter two, there's this incredibly annoying scratching-static sound that interrupts whatever song is playing. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by TwinHamster on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ysoft_Entertainment
VB Programmer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs a better key handling.
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twinhamster:
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the game so far. As for your problem... It's pretty weird. Both of the games rely on the same core engine that rinku wrote... so... if episode 1 works fine, episode 2 should naturally work fine too. None of my playtesters encountered this problem. This is mindboggling.

ysoft: I'm assuming you're referring to the control's sensitivity. I'll bug rinku about it for episode 3.

Orchard,
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why Twinhamster didn't get the terrible static in the first episode too, I did. For some reason after I play for a while the music just gets staticy and I have to save and restart to get rid of it. Very annoying.

The game is good so far though. The solution to the first episode was maybe a little too obvious, even for an introduction, but I still enjoyed it.

It pauses a lot. Like when it's typing the text, every so often it'll just stop for a bit before continuing. I have an old computer, sure, but there's no reason that a game like this should run slowly on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: