Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Where did you first hear about OHR?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where did you first hear/find out about OHR?
Google/search engine
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
Hamster Republic/OHR site etc.
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Friend
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Other (post below)
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

Seth
Hardcore Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Where did you first hear about OHR? Reply with quote

A bit self explanatory.
James Paige

Embattled Productions Home
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CN actually introduced me to OHR back in 7th grade (? possibly 8th grade). He came across it through a link from RPGamer, if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe CN can help me out, it was about 5 years or so ago Oookay... .
is fantastic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, the memories. Back in elementary school, we had to do a "venture" on a subject. So, everybody picked boring topics and I thought, "Hey! Games are fun! I'll do game design!" So me and my clever little mind went off to do that. I think it was 4rd grade when I did this('9Cool. I searched the internet for "Game contruction engine" and up popped "The Official Hamster Reublic RPG Contruction Engine." "Ho Ho!" I laughed out loud, "What a strange name!" So I downloaded it. Read through the HOWTO about 3 times. I didn't even know about the message boards back then, probably for the best, because I was a hyper typer (heh...rhymes) back then. Anywho, I made my first game, "Zelda" that was the title. It was utterly awful, as you could expect. But I showed it off during our little "showcase" thingy at the end of school. Despite it's awfulness, a little kid started to play it and was amazed. "You made this?!" He asked. "Yep" I responded. I was quite proud. It was then that I decided that Game Design was perhaps not that bad of a career to persue. So here I am now, making RPG's on the OHRRPGCE and making sidescrollers in Flash.

Beautiful story, isn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Seth
Hardcore Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling...
[starts to cry]

Sob... That was the first time I *sob* ever made a game*sob* and the same *sob* thing happened. *sob*
James Paige

Embattled Productions Home
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story's a bit interesting. Way back when dinosaurs ruled the e... oh wait, not that far. When I was in high school, one of the school art club members wanted me to do the illustrations for a comic book. Of course, I signed on, and proceeded to whip out a seven issue comic called "Legend of Cale". It was a complete disaster, so he unwittingly gave me the rights to everything IN the comic. We even had a document to prove it. Money exchanged hands, and the rest is history. A year later, he was saying something about a game creation engine his brother had found, the OHRRPGCE. Naturally he said I should make a game with it, and I produced LoC1, loosely based on the comic book I had written a year ago.

Then I got nostalgic and decided to make a final fantasy game (FFR). It was a complete disaster, and I never released it (until now). I decided to take a break from the OHR for a while, check out a fighting game system called MUGEN, but LoC kept calling to me. I picked up the LoC story and put out a sequal. Then in 2001, I was sitting around and thought "hey, what if I combined the chars from both games in a massive cross-over fanfic! LoL!". So Timestream Saga came out. Took a year. But it gave me the experience needed to begin work on FFH. I had found the old copy of FFR, and said something along the lines of "I'm gonna make yew another brother! Har!".

One more year later, and it's the top downloaded game on these boards. And there's no review for it. Oh well, time to work on SEclipse and TSSE.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I've worked on over 25 million games and have yet to release a good one.

*works on secret mysterious project*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Komera

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I've already sufficiently answered this for the OHR Monthly interview.

Squall:
4th grade is elementary? My 4th grade was midschool.

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Do you live in France or something?
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the OHRRPGCE on the Game Developers search engine on August 3rd 1999 around 4 PM. It was a very hot day, and I recently decided I truely wanted to make games for a living (There were many things I was interested in at the time).
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you can pinpoint it down to the exact day and general time?!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the ohr waay back, on a dragonball z fan site. I downloaded attack of the saians (maybe ferocity, it is on the gamelist I think). at the time I was 9 years old and LOVED the game, and it alone convinced me to get ohr. Funny.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attack of the Saiyans? Yeah, that's actually the game that the art club member and his brother found that got them to get ME interested in OHR. Small world, eh?
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first OHR game was one of the Atomic Knights games (I don't remember which). I downloaded it off of AOL's game downloads list, read the description (which said it was made with the OHR), and searched for that on Yahoo. Lo and behold, there was the OHR. I didn't actually start becoming active in the community for another year and a half or so. What's kind of pathetic is I still haven't released a game Oookay... (unless you count Magnus 4)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What? Do you live in France or something?

*Points to the left where it says Location: Arizona*

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then how were you in midschool in 4th grade?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: