Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Musician for hire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DobyGillis
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Musician for hire Reply with quote

If anyone has a game in need of original music, I need to hone my bam-writing skills. Please let me know.

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrrmmm...interesting! I too am a composer! I have a good tip for you though:

Don't worry about composing in BAM format. Notate is such a gay program ( in my personal opinion). You're better off writing MIDIs and using MIDI2BAM. There's less of a hassle that way.

Anyway, I'm glad to see another musician at heart! You might wind up getting overwhelmed with comissions with a post like this, though, so be prepared.

BTW, if you're interested in hearing my music, check out the Realmsoft Soundtracks on the gamelist. Speaking of which, I would like to hear what your music sounds like!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, personally, I love notate. I like how you can put it the loops and stuff like that. Last I checked MIDIs aren't even capable of that.

If only I were actually _good_ at music. Pissed off!
DobyGillis
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Indeed Reply with quote

It's a mixed bag. On one hand, midis are easier to write (and my new keyboard rocks da house) so that is always doable. The problem is in the conversion. Due to notate/bam in general's lack of tempo change, a lot of midis-turned-bam sound jarred and awful. Throw into that the awful percussion sampling in midi2bam and the strange adding and removing of channels, and, well, it just sounds sub-par. It's easy to tell when someone's ripped music simply because it sounds so disjointed and it jumps from beat to beat on occaision. Even if it's original, I think a lot of the fun to "compose down". I often use a Gameboy Color music writer to write songs simply because it's such a challenge to work with such limiting software, and a good composition only makes you feel that much better about how hard you worked to get there. Still, I'm glad people write original music for OHR games. Back with Ragnarok Online, I remember almost every game having ripped Square midis (and they were really bad too.) and, pleasant nostalgia aside, being kinda irked by this. Originality in graphics, originality in music, originality in content. That sets OHR games above and beyond the other homebrewn RPG generators, even with a worse framerate, lack of SFX, and low-quality music. It's all about heart. HUZZAH!

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DobyGillis
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: one more thing Reply with quote

if you wanna hear my music, IM me and i'll send it to you. I have no website that i post it on, and most is in impulse tracker format, so just IM me and i'll send you somethin nice. No.....virii or anything..... Rolling Eyes

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iblis wrote:
I like how you can put it the loops and stuff like that. Last I checked MIDIs aren't even capable of that.

Just so you know, they can. What program were you using that didn't let you set up loops?
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a midi that had loops in it, but cool, that's good to know. And I was using music sculptor, which is probably the worst midi composer in history. I still don't know why I used to use it.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I don't have to find something else right now, when you download Noteworthy Composer, it comes with sample MIDIs, some of which have loops in them.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I might just check that out.
Komera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally know of two midi programs. Cakewalk, which does let you use loops... and Midisoft's Session which didn't the last time I looked... but I'm out of date on Session because the version I have is so small that it'll fit on a floppy. I prefer using Session (when I do actually bother writing my own music), although the bad part is, if you REALLY want it to sound good, you have to screw with a lot of number values. It's not second natue, but I've managed to figure it out... except getting it to do triplets correctly.

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
djfenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Cakewalk, but it's probably best if you had a keyboard to use it with, because getting the notes to be correctly on beat is just HORRIBLE, so the keyboard helps out a litte (depending on what keyboard you have, that is).

Noteworthy is also another good program to start off with. It's easiar to use, but the results aren't that good. It's a good program to practise composing. But after a while, you should probably move on to a more advanced program.
DobyGillis
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: n Reply with quote

noteworthy is definitely worth sticking with. Although I have a...perfectly legal version of Finale that I downloaded off of KazAa Rolling Eyes I am a big fan of Noteworthy. My advice to anyone who's serious--buy an old Roland GXP. Although my model is kinda tricked out, the old ones run for around 100 and still have an impressive library and more than enough features to run seamlessly with pretty much any sequencer. Just steer clear of Casio--they normally don't even have midi outs to begin with, and they, well, suck.

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.
djfenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a really good keyboard (and you have plenty of money to burn), get a Technics. Why? They are THE BEST keyboards I've ever seen.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MIDI Orchestrator, the world's oldest software! I just write my scores so that they can easily loop them.
Otherwise, you know, the only thing about working with MIDIs that I don't like is that MIDI2BAM will only let 9 voices sound at one time. I understand the limitation, and it kinda stinks, but then again, I just ignore that little problem.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: