Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

New Blackened preview. Take a look
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: New Blackened preview. Take a look Reply with quote

Have have revealed a little bit of my newest project, take a look:
http://gamingetc.topcities.com/preview.htm

Tell me what you think.

Also, I know I spelled fortune wrong in one of the pics.

EDIT: You can try the link again to see my new preview, tell me how this one it.

Last edited by RPGrealm5 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:35 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I can't help but notice that the people have green skin, and the maptiles look so good in comparison that I can only assume they are stolen. You will never learn to draw your own maptiles if you steal them. And worrying about them looking bad is silly, everyone needs to start somewhere.

The concept is interesting however.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tilemaps look ripped then altered, or maybe I've just played too much Final Fantasy 6. The reason I say this is because the walkaround graphics and the tilemaps are on a totally different graphical level.

The concept of multiple characters and thus multiple point of view is interesting.
Sew
Just here for looks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Ripping is "Teh bad", unless you did make them, which in that case, I would feel a little silly for saying that you stole them. But they do look ripped.

~Sew
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are stolen. Those maptiles are from Final Fantasy 6.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RPGrealm5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to learn your games! Indeed I did use those graphics, but the game is from Final Fantasy V. The concept of me stealing them, though is a different case. Let me explain my process, some may call it stealing, but to me it is different. I take a snapshot of the thing I want, like grass. I zoom in on it in the paint program, and copy down the sprites and colors. I then open up the OHR and copy down the sprites that I drew on the paper. Then I have the graphics. It's not like I stole those graphics, unless that's what you call it. I was inspired not only by FFV, but FFIV, and Rs2. You are also correct about me altering them from the way I originally copied them into the OHR, like the signs. I changed them.

The reason I didn't do the same for the NPCs is because that is just plain wrong. I said in a previous topic that I want only original people, not liscensed people. It wouldn't be right if I stole Setzer from FFVI and named him Lars! I'm glad I've let that out, please don't choose to pass by my game just because the graphics look like they've been stolen.

Final statement: What makes you think those were from FFVI, Chaos?
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how you do it, it still creates a huge ugly disrcrepancy between the quality of the sprites and the quality of the maptiles.
RPGrealm5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may, but still the gameplay is my main objective here.

Edit: I am getting a negative reaction from you, the opposite of what I thought I would get. Are you suggesting that I discontinue work on this project? Cause if that's the hint I'm still going to proceed with it. I think this is going to be good, just you wait and see.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The project has potential, so go through with it. However, I strongly recommend you ditch the ripped (rather, according to you, "inspired") graphics and work on your own maptiles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too late to scrap the graphics I already have. Hey, if you don't like the game I have so far then you don't have to play it. If it is COMPLETELY originality, then my Project: Virus would have been your game, but just because Blackened graphics similar to that of another game doesn't mean that that game is total crap. Just give it a chance when the demo is released. But I am interested in knowing why you would want me to scrap them.
DobyGillis
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Hmm... Reply with quote

I fail to see the logic in the justification of your thievery. All you did was elongate the process of jacking graphics expertly crafted by Squaresoft. I mean ripped graphics are weak to begin with, but do yourself a favor and at least save yourself the time of your extra steps. Just so it's not all negative, I do like your ideas for originality in interaction.

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RPGrealm5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting a lot of negative replies today, but at least everyone said that I have potential with my multiple personalities feature. Let me end with an old saying, Don't judge a book by it's cover, or in this case,
Don't judge a game by it's graphics.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tell me what you think.

You show us screenshots. We have no idea how the game is going to play. All we see are the graphics. We really can't tell you what we think about anything BUT the graphics until you release a gameplay demo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want us to judge a game by its graphics at all then why rip them in the first place? Is that not to make people like it better because of the professional graphics, or to make the game seem more professional itself? And don't complain about getting negative replies, that's annoying. When you post something you can't expect everyone to go completely nuts for everything about, hailing it as a proverbial diamond in the rough. It's just criticism, and it's almost always better to not rip graphics. FFH got away with it because it fit the game expertly. It's a FF1 remake, for crying out loud! As for the idea, it's good, but I'll wait for when it comes out to talk about it. These things tend to get cancelled to the amount of work needed to have three seperate stories, or because of tag limitations. That reminds me.

Does anyone know why there are only 1,000 tags? It's supposed to be due to size limitations, but there's 32,676 (or however many) global variables, which probably hold a lot more information than a simple on/off procedure. It's annoying to run out of tags and have to implement all these map scripts with fake tags and such.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other tags are used for other things, such as one-time usable NPCs (notice that it says "tag 1xyz" after setting an NPC to one-time usable).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: