Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Shawn's collection of Works in progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Shawn's collection of Works in progress Reply with quote

I was feeling sick and tired of being the one who doesn't seem to be doing anything, so I decided that I'd show you kind peeps all the music I've half composed! Big grin
I mean, I gotta preserve my rank as Class S minstrel. I did all this work and I still have nothing to show? I said to myself, "BAH! Just slop together a thread with a ton of self proclaimed 'cool' songs you composed and then quote yourself for reasons unknown to man and some of the other more intelligent races." ...
AND HERE I AM!

Legends of Naturah Series (yes the name hath changeth onceth againeth!)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please start your speakers on quiet. These got a bit loud...

~ 1) The Epic (Tup's theme)
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/TheEpic.mid
~ 2) The Shirikin Spirit (Battle theme)
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/ShirikinSpirit.mid
~ 3) Heart of Fire (TipWhip's theme)
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Whip_Theme.mid
~ 4) Heart of Ivy (TipTurp's theme)
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Turp_Theme.mid
~ 5) Legends (LON title theme)
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Heros.mid
~ 6) New Legends Begin (The First field theme)
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Open_Field_Beginning.mid
~ 7) Wasp's Nest (TallWall theme)
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/TallWallTheme.mid
~ 8 ) True North (NorthTown Theme)
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Northtown-Redo.mid
~ 9) Celebrate! (Celesburg Theme... [spoiler]They get BLOWED UP![/spoiler])
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Celesburg.mid

Well, that's all I can think of sharing at this time, Pizanos. Enjoy, and feel obligated free to comment. Happy Happy Happy <- uh oh... My pants...

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon guys. There not THAT good. No criticism? Hit me with your most heartless criticism you've got. XD

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Minnek
Conjurer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop bugging me at my house, for -- end random statement here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can use some work. i like heart of fire thought
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Yeah. They are WIPS, so I'll be working on them and updating my critics on my progress. I fixed Shirikin Spirit, though. Behold the pure rock!

http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/ShirikinSpirit.mid

Still only about 70% complete, though.

---msw188 ---
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song's not even complete and it already has fans. Listen to this mp3 synthesized version, y'all.

http://www.xiinet.com/matt/music/stuffs/SS.mp3

Sounds kind of spooky. Almost sounds distant.
But that's fan service for you.

---msw188 ---
J.A.R.S.
In umbram deo, ex nihilo...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd choice of samples I must admit. Try to avoid electric guitars as leads in midis, they sound (on most midi samples on most soundcards that is) like crap. There are good compositions to replace them with 2 samples playing the same thing. Aside of that, rudimental percussions, sorta lacks on that edge too, finally, a general concern about the missing basslines (I'd recommend using the accoustic bass for most of the songs though I've only listened to the three first).
The general orchestration however is good, the song structure is decent, keep up the good work and finish'em Wink killer potential there!

Edit: Same applies to other songs too actually.
And I'm puzzled at that SS noise? What exactly did you do? Cuz all I heard is muffled and grundgy tones... Sad...
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your comment. I realize how bad Guitar sounds. I'm looking for a better lead.
SS: Shirikin Spirit? I thaught I'd try using Guitar Harmonics as the backup, because on my machine it had a bad ass contrast to the distortion Guitar.
I'd love to see some real good MP3 renditions of these made some day.

I'll see what I can do for the baseline. It's my time, after all. there are several more compositions I need to start first.

---msw188 ---
J.A.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personnal favorite lead development has to be the french horn doubled by the string ensemble 1, though it fits only a very narrow genre of music. I must confess the crusade for the "ultimate" lead is something I'm struggling with too, and if you come up with good ideas, I'd be glad if you noticed me about them Happy

On a sidenote, you should avoid the mp3 rendering of midis. I think they're just so much bigger and don't necessarily sound any better. If you really want to go mp3, use a tracker. That's a whole different recording universe though. Or did you mean you had recorded it from an actual guitar?
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oookay...
I wouldn't want to simply convert these to mp3s. I would rather recompose them as mp3s with a different program. I think I have FL studio somewhere, but that's FREAKIN difficult to understand to me.
how I made these is with ANVIL STUDIO. I pretty much hunt and peck, clickinng on the "right" notes and fabricate what is in my head. I can't play guitar, regretfully.

I may end up hiring someone to do it for me when I eventually go pro and publish the completed songs.

---msw188 ---
J.A.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruity Loops isn't great, and once again Anvil Studio isn;t particularly effective. I personally use a tool I wouldn't recommend anyone to use (very unstable, doesn't actually make midi music but exports as such, etc, in brief it sucks). Should you want to make tracked music, I suggest Impulse Tracker or any of its GOOD windows formats (no one pops into mind alas... which is why I left the tracking community years ago just as I left OHR because I didn't have dos anymore XD)

As for thinking songs beforehand and putting back into actual notes, thats a good start when it comes to exercising your ear. Basically, I'm sure you could learn any basic instrument from there, but from personnal experience (I'm a guitarist) guitar is fun... for some years, and then, it tends to lack. I wish I played Cello, and so many other instruments, and I guess the most polyvalent one is STILL the piano, mainly because of its analog version "keyboard" which gives you endless possibilities... Sad, a piano can't do these kickass rock samples, I agree, but as far as true orchestration comes though, it's an intricate part of the learning process.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.A.R.S. wrote:
Aside of that, rudimental percussions, sorta lacks on that edge too, finally, a general concern about the missing basslines (I'd recommend using the accoustic bass for most of the songs though I've only listened to the three first).

I'd like to point out that this may be because the songs are all WIPs. The first one is probably closest to done.

---msw188 ---
J.A.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are, but you're put them up for comments NOW, so I gave you comments for the current state of them Wink Whether is was in your plans to add this or not is unknown to me at the point in time is it now? So I tried to point out as much as I could from my non-omniscient point of view Wink lol Regardless, be sure to show me when you get a newer edition of them, I'm always interested in commenting Happy
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kk. Just making sure. Wink

---msw188 ---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: