Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

We need more OHR.RPG.CE resources(hero-sets,chipsets)!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you help OHRRPGCE have more resources?
Yes!
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
No!
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

arpgme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: We need more OHR.RPG.CE resources(hero-sets,chipsets)! Reply with quote

We need more OHR.RPG.CE resources(midis,hero-sets,chipsets,weapons,monsters)!
We need common heros such as Sonic,Tails,Mario,Luigi,
I love ohrrpgce but I often get mad because the resources are limited.
Please,please, I ask you all, fans of OHRRPGCE to make more resources for your favorite rpgmaker.

Thank you,

Arpgme.
seaweedface

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you elaborate on "chipsets?" If all fails, you can resolve to importing your own graphics, you know, as I don't think it's too hard to find an 8-bit graphic of Mario or Luigi around.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I totally agree. Instead of coming up with original characters, and situations, let's just make sprite sets of famous characters! It's not bad enough that nearly every game ever made uses at least ONE track from Chrono Trigger, let's make sure that every town has palette swapped Luigi and Mario wandering around!

We're not really that much of a ripping community. It's a 20x20 box, with 16 colors. Either steal it yourself, or draw something original. You just need some practice. (That is unless you're a bot. It's REALLY hard to tell here)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: sound effects Reply with quote

What we could really use is a big library of 'Free Sound Effects' in mp3 or ogg format that people can use with the next release. You know, sword swishes, spell noises, monster grunts
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site you posted is the best site for free sound effects. Every other sound FX place demands that you pay $30 for a track of sounds.

A better alternative would be if the people in this community recorded their own sound effects. Say now...

[edit]:We also have a pretty nice gallery of graphics, ya know. But if you want famous sprites, then you should try joining the RPG maker community. That kind of thing is tolerated there.

Aha! Here it is. It's a wonder it's still there. Link!
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why everyone around here seems to freak out over the idea of ripping graphics. Sure, it's bullshit to pass someone else's work off as your own, but if you give proper credit in a free game, what's the harm? We are an amateur game-making community, not some kind of professional publisher, and we're making games because it's fun to do. If someone wants to put together a Sonic fan game using the OHR, more power to them.

I think more resources would be a great thing.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big difference between a fan game (e.g. the highly-lauded FFH) and a game that tries to create an original story out of graphics from Lufia and FF6 (e.g. half the RPGM2K games).

Both usually suck, but the former at least have the potential not to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seaweedface wrote:
Can you elaborate on "chipsets?" If all fails, you can resolve to importing your own graphics, you know, as I don't think it's too hard to find an 8-bit graphic of Mario or Luigi around.

Chipset is the ludicrously inappropriate and wilfully confusing RPGMaker name for a tileset, as I understand it.
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
There's a big difference between a fan game (e.g. the highly-lauded FFH) and a game that tries to create an original story out of graphics from Lufia and FF6 (e.g. half the RPGM2K games).

Both usually suck, but the former at least have the potential not to.

Why is the latter automatically a failure? Just because the author didn't create the graphics themselves? Are games where one person creates original graphics and the other does everything else similarly doomed to failure? There's really no difference between that and using ripped graphics from a potential quality point of view. Besides, who said it has to be good? I don't see any value in snobbing away everyone who isn't an artiste.

I'm not saying everyone should drop graphics creation and use someone else's work, I'm just saying we should recognize there are different levels of use for the OHR. Some people want to make fan games, some people want to put something together without drawing anything, and some people want to make lots of graphics, but the latter is not somehow more noble than the former. The only problem with ripping is if someone tries to take credit for or profit off of someone else's work. As long as that is discouraged, I think more OHR graphic resources would be a great thing.
msw188

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting how we seem to think it okay that the OHR comes with a library of songs to use, but everyone gets upset about graphic ripping. Maybe the difference is that the songs are legally free to use, whereas including mario graphics might be an infringement of something or other.

Although there is logically nothing wrong with Camdog's argument for more resources, my gut feeling is against it. It feels like we would be giving new users the idea that it is okay to use other people's work WITHOUT asking for permission. When we collaborate on games, there is a clear agreement between all parties involved. There is no such agreement when ripping graphics.

I also feel like it would put a bit of a damper on the overall atmosphere of creativity that we try to emphasize with the OHR, and replace it with a certain laziness. As soon as people begin to get lazy with one aspect of game design (in this case, original graphics), it becomes easy to get lazy with others, especially for new users. I know that this might not necessarily happen, but I have a bad feeling that it would.

Those are just my personal feelings on the issue. There are apparently other RPG-making engines with communities that accept ripping. Do we really need another?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camdog wrote:
There's really no difference between that and using ripped graphics from a potential quality point of view. Besides, who said it has to be good? I don't see any value in snobbing away everyone who isn't an artiste.

Whoa, wait, am I really understanding you here? Are you really suggesting that games shouldn't have to be good? On what basis should we judge them, then? Or should we just enjoy anything?

I'll assume you were referring to the graphics. No, graphics don't have to be awesome for the game to be good -- see SpyJim or Walthros. But unless you're using ripped graphics very effectively (like FFH), you are almost guaranteed to make a game look ugly, whereas you were ripping so that your game could look good. Consider that SNES graphics are typically:

- Palette-incompatible. You can overcome this by completely rearranging your game's palette, but you do so at the risk of making your menus and textboxes look awful.
- 16x16 instead of 20x20. Most awful ripjobs just blow up the graphics. This makes the game hideous.
- Inconsistent with each other. If you try to rip from two different games (which you will probably need to do unless you are recreating that one game), your graphics will clash.
- Illegal. Not that most people care, but ripping graphics (or music) doesn't qualify as fair use.
- Familiar. I don't want to see Kain and Samus teaming up to fight Gilgamesh. (Okay, I do, but I'd prefer to see that in a SSB game.)
- Not what you're really looking for. While we shouldn't be concerned with making every single OHR game a masterpiece, game developers should worry about expressing what they want to express how they want to express it, not however it happens to be expressed in a convenient format. Original ugly graphics usually express their author's vision better than pretty ripped ones.

The bottom line is that this isn't something we should be encouraging.
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the idea is to kinda make your own Rolling Eyes
Bye-Bye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it's good to just be original, but supplying the community with resources for newer people certainly couldn't hurt.
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
Whoa, wait, am I really understanding you here? Are you really suggesting that games shouldn't have to be good? On what basis should we judge them, then? Or should we just enjoy anything?

Hah, yeah, I think you're misunderstanding me here. If someone slapped together a game with shitty ripped graphics, I'd hate it, and say so if I happened to review it. My point is that I think we tend to be a bit snobby on the applications of the OHR. I know a lot of us here (myself included) are interested in game design and want to create unique and fun games to share with everybody, but I think it's a bit much to expect that across the board. Being, as I mentioned before, an amateur game making community, I think we need to recognize that a lot of people are interested in the engine for much more modest purposes.

If someone is just tinkering around, having fun making stuff they created move around on the screen, great. If someone wants to make a sonic fangame because they really like sonic, and maybe share it with a few friends or some sonic fan site, that's great as well.

Now, I'm not volunteering to create some vast repository of graphics for people to use, nor do I think this is some kind of pressing priority, I just don't understand why people seem to get so upset whenever an idea like this is mentioned. And, for the record, I don't think we should put together a collection of copyrighted material, but I do think some publically available graphics (like the music we already have) would be nice to have to encourage more casual usage of the engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: