Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

New user, new game, plus a question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so far my biggest complaint is that Kapa is a fat useless lump. Maybe give him a weapon to start out with, so he can actually damage the enemies. Or just make him start with average party level, cause when I got him Colin was three levels ahead. Or maybe you could increase his stats.

That boss guy is pretty hard. I'm gonna have to level a lot more to beat him. You weren't kidding when you said Dragon Warrior style (well, except that in this game i can actually afford the equipment and items).
Komera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Blazes:
Epileptic

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone say the all-cleric party is the hsrdest, when one cleric is even harder?

Or maybe a party of Bob the Hamster, Arylon the Dancer, and two magicless black mages.
msw188

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Some of my intentions Reply with quote

First of all, I just want to thank you (Iblis) again for taking the time to really try out my demo. I really appreciate your continuous feedback.
I put Kapa in the cave without equipment so that it would be almost necessary to go back to the town, in order to buy him some equipment. This way, the player would also get a chance to gain him a level or so. Is this a bad idea? But you're right about the level, and I have made his starting level up one. Note, I do not like 'party average' level beginnings. One of the cheapest things about FF3 was that you could effectively gain levels for non-party heros by gaining levels right before you got them, and that with less heros in your party as well, so that it was actually faster. I do not plan on using any 'party average' characters, except perhaps one later in the game...
As for the boss, my intention was for him to be beatable on about level 10 or 11, along with plenty of medicine. Because you're likely to gain a level or two along the way up the tower, this means setting out from the cave at about level 9. Is the boss still too hard then? Thanks again for reading.

PS: I'm pretty sure I posted this already, but it didn't appear. I guess I could've hit the wrong button or something. Did this pop up accidentally anywhere else in the forum?
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I can understand why you'd shy away from the party average thing, and I'll fight around a bit more before I fight the boss nest time.
JSH357

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFH isn't challenging at all.
Having to play with a team of Clerics should NOT be the only way to make it more difficult. I didn't even find the Hardtype version to be any more difficult, and I used a crappier party than I did in the Normaltype. FFOrigins's FF1 remains my favorite.
FFH's real strength is in its appearance, I think. It looks a lot more like a GameboyAdvance/SNES game than other OHRRPGCE games.

... My point?
It's good, yeah, but it isn't the best, and it isn't hard at all.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Some of my intentions Reply with quote

msw188 wrote:
Note, I do not like 'party average' level beginnings. One of the cheapest things about FF3 was that you could effectively gain levels for non-party heros by gaining levels right before you got them, and that with less heros in your party as well, so that it was actually faster.

It wasn't really faster at all, since you only had two people. You gained experience quicker, but you had to fight with less people, so it was not only harder, but the fights themselves were longer. Takes about the same time, unless the fights are ridiculously easy or something. But party average works in some games, and not some in others. Based on how challenging you want your game to be, and how well it fits in, you can make your decision. Sometimes you'd assume it would kinda have to be party average, though. Like... someone from the cliche starting village was following you from the starting point, and joins you later. Since he was following you the whole time, it makes sense he'd have faced about the same amount of challenges as you, save puzzles and boss fights.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, Blazes, is that FF6 isn't hard at all.
DobyGillis
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: In response to Iblis... Reply with quote

What graphics were ripped? (obviously the enemy sprites, which seem a bit altered (not just more color)) I mean the backgrounds look pretty professional, but it seemed pretty seemless as I played through it. The NPCs looked original as hell and nice to boot.

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
msw188

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: reply to Blazes Battles Inc Reply with quote

You said "it really wasn't faster at all, since you only had two people." I'm not sure which part of the game you are referring to. I can think of many times where this trick works in the game, sometimes when you only have two people, sometimes when you have more or less. And I think it is faster, because the time for a battle never seemed to increase by that much to me, not enough to offset the additional EXP. But even if you disagree about that, I feel my statement still holds at times when you had a party of four and were waiting to get a other allies back. In particular, I'm thinking of the whole Zozo -> Mag. Research Facility deal and spending time gaining levels right after getting Setzer and the second airship (I could spend an hour in the desert near Miranda, gaining levels for Celes, Setzer, Sabin and Edgar, and actually be gaining levels for everyone else at the same time, just because I hadn't found them yet!).
But please, I don't want this to sound like I'm complaining about FF3. It was a great game, I'm just explaining why I don't want to use the party average setting for hero levels in my game.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW, I didn't say anything about FFVI, nor was I talking about any game in particular... am I missing something here?
msw188

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood you, BBInc Reply with quote

Sorry, you included what I said about FF3 in your 'quote' box, so I thought your comments were in reference to that game. Were you talking about my game? If so, you confused me by saying "you only had two people," which sounds like having two people before getting a third, while in my game you have one person and are about to get a second.
Or am I still missing something? Were you talking about something else?
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I get it now! I completely lost my train of thought back there and came up with the number two out of nowhere! It'd been a good... five hours since the last time I did that.

Er... I have no idea where two came from. Still, it's harder to beat the enemies with two than with three.

Maybe I got the 3 from FF3? And decided that was the party number for some reason unknown to me? Well... at least I know where the FF6 came from... FF3 in America is really FF6.
msw188

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Wow, just realized something... Reply with quote

Wait, you mean you can have 32,000 some text boxes? Wow, for some reason I was under the impression that you could only have 1000. I must have read that on the OHR FAQ page for tags and thought text boxes or something. That's kinda upsetting, because in the beginning especially I tried to minimize text box use, because I was afraid I'd run out. Luckily, I became more liberal with using them as I reached Parts 4 and 5, but maybe some sections of Parts 1-3 will have to be re-dialogued in the future.
I still can't believe I thought that. The only reason I found out I was wrong was from reading someone's review of a game, where dialogue was criticized and a comment was brought up about having thousands of text boxes, why worry about using them up. I suppose I owe a thanks to whoever wrote that scathing review (it wasn't too scathing, actually), but I can't remember who it was or what game it was for, and I don't feel like searching for it, so thank you Someone!
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so far I've beaten the first part (took me about an hour and a half), and now I'm a ways into the second part, about another hour and a half. The dwarves look WAAAAAY better than the humans. No white outlines.

Way to beat the boos of part one: Colin constantly does double slash (or whatever it's called), and Kapa does NOTHING except heal when necessary. His dances will rarely hit the boss, so don't use them.

Quote:
What graphics were ripped? (obviously the enemy sprites, which seem a bit altered (not just more color)) I mean the backgrounds look pretty professional, but it seemed pretty seemless as I played through it. The NPCs looked original as hell and nice to boot.

Are you sure you're talking about the right game? two things: 1) There aren't any backgrounds, and 2) The enemies have fewer colors than the original DW versions, and I don't think they were ripped. A few of them were based on DW enemies, but not that many. 3) I don't recall anyone saying the graphics were ripped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: