Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What's the most difficult thing for you?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the hardest part of making a game?
Graphics
48%
 48%  [ 14 ]
Music
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Storyline
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Plotscripting
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Maps
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Advertising
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29

Valigarmander
Bye-Bye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: What's the most difficult thing for you? Reply with quote

I've been faithfully with OHRRPGCE for several years now, and after countless unfinished projects and half-baked game ideas I'm still at it. Let's hear it for me! Confused What I've found to be consistent with all my crappy games is that certain parts are harder than others. For instance, I am not too fond of making graphics. They take a long time to make and usually they suck. You can't have a good game without graphics. I find that things like trees and such are hard to make look realistic... What do you all think is the most difficult part about making a game? Is it graphics? Storyline? Music? Let me hear your opinions.
JSH357

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more implementation than design, but I'll answer anyway so as not to be a total ass.

Graphics are definitely the most time-consuming, difficult thing for me. I would say music if I actually attempted to write my own.
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I have is the time management. Having multiple exams to study for right now, I don't really have the time to be working on my current projects; however, come the end of December and I'll be popping out games like some...uh...baby-popping-woman.
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write my own music, so I can rightfully say it's the hardest part.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do my own music, so I can't judge that. From what I do, plotscripting is difficult, which is why I tend to keep it as simple as possible.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always hated graphics, and while I can finally draw some types of graphics (maptiles) decently, it takes me forever to draw a single tile.

On the other hand, I'm so bad at storylines that I've never managed to use one. I've mostly stayed away from attempting them seriously, so what do I know.
Leonhart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think making the graphics is the hardest part in game making. Not only do you need to make them acceptable in the eyes of the player, but you also need to make a LOT of them (ex. Enemy Graphics, hero graphics, attacks, etc...)
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with almost everyone else: graphics. It just seems so incredibly time-consuming for each small step. Many of my games (not just my single OHR game) end up with rushed graphics, or even placeholders if I've been really lazy. I tend to rush the music, too (or leave it out completely, in the case of Desert of Stars), but that's always a lot less painful and time-consuming than graphics.

I do like to do everything myself, though, if I can, so I only have myself to blame Happy. I'm not sure how I'd get on if I worked with a decent artist.

I believe I can do an okay job with graphics and music if I put the time in, but I always put them off until it's too late, and they aren't really the aspects which get me motivated.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certain kinds of graphics are difficult for me, namely hero, enemy, and attack graphics. But then it's been a long time since I've even thought about designing a game using the default battle engine, so those aren't usually an issue.

If I attempted to compose my own music that would be the hardest part, but I don't. I've tried to learn how, with minimal progress, and if I could someday become competent at it enough to stop ripping music that would make me very happy.

What's most difficult depends on the game, really. For my current project the graphics were all easy, and the story is nearly nonexistant so that was no trouble. The gameplay design and plotscripting have been the most challenging parts. There are still a couple design issues I haven't resolved and I have some very difficult scripting ahead of me (the AI, it's almost all that's left now). It's possible, just going to be very challenging.
msw188

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing up another agreement on the time-consumption of (usually sucky) graphics; nevertheless, I'm one who doesn't feel so bad coming out with half-bad graphics. I'd say the most challenging part is probably balance. Trying to make the game difficult enough to be rewarding, without being too frustrating to be enjoyable. This goes for singular battles, bosses and the game as a whole. I'd say that this is also the answer you'd probably get from most professional game-makers (although I CERTAINLY do not claim to be one, or to know any, I'm really just guessing)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted maps. I can push out decent graphics without too much trouble, but creating large maps can be very demotivating for me. It helps a lot if I have a preconceived layout for the maps (as was the case in the beast that is the Scary Game 2 city map).
(Formicidae Devious)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even, that I write my own music too I'd say, that the graphics are the most difficult part.

After all it's ideal, that you pixel by pixel try to bring the best possible result. Then you try to do something... take a tree, ie. You've drewn, redrewn and redrewn the redrawing for last 12 hours and try to find that one pixel (which is usually kind of 'merged' between two pixels =a ghost pixel Big grin) and you can't. And if you wouldn't find it, the result is, that it is not a tree Big grin
Activate point A by sliding slide B through points E and Z, so that the Joint TO touches the Vector 6, however avoiding an impact with vectors 34 and 5, which both are positioned at the edge of the said object near point R. Period.

Remember, Giz! You MIGHT get that candy, if you only behave well... Only.

My Art
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music and graphics seem to be the utmost time consuming part, that is, assuming that you do your own.

If I had to list something to be the hardest thing to do in game design, I would have to say the most difficult thing would be creating a perfectly balanced equilibrium of all the game's aspects. Too commonly people create games (and films for that matter), but always create them in such a way that it really surpasses in some aspects, but then greatly lacks in others.

I understand that creating a perfect balance is difficult for anyone in anything, but I feel that there was something about the way things were back in the '80s that really showed that balance is possible (mostly in film rather than games).

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liek drawing graphics. It akes along time but it isn't hard to do. Since I'm a dumbass plotscripting breaks my brain. Too much trial and error. I'mt he kidn of guy who get an idea and goes for it.

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleblaze wrote:
I liek drawing graphics. It akes along time but it isn't hard to do. Since I'm a dumbass plotscripting breaks my brain. Too much trial and error. I'mt he kidn of guy who get an idea and goes for it.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who's programming-challenged. You'd be surprised the wonderful things you can pull off without hardcoding most of your OHR game too.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: