Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

OHR Bookclub Game Selection Rules
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camdog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: OHR Bookclub Game Selection Rules Reply with quote

Ok, I've reviewed our discussion on game selection and have put together some (hopefully) simple and workable rules.

Wheneven a bookclub discussion is opened, voting on the next selection will also begin. The voting period will last one week after the beginning of the discussion thread, after which the next selection will be announced, to be discussed three weeks from then (for a total length of 1 month between each bookclub "meeting"). Voters will select from the big list of games we've agreed are worthy of discussion. The list is compiled very simply: anyone, at any time, can add a game they think is worthy of discussion to the list, provided we haven't discussed it before. If the addition is obviously a troll and several people comment on it, I'll remove it from the list, but otherwise anything goes.

As always, the rules are meant to facilitate, not enforce, so they are meant to be as easy and informal as possible. If you have any suggestions about the rules, don't hesitate to speak up. In particular, I liked JSH's idea of alternating between specific 'types' of games (classics, new releases, etc.), but I couldn't think of a good way to classify games in a way everyone would be happy with. If anyone has ideas on implementing the idea, let me know.

And, without further ado, the list (with a few additions of my own):

Missing
Fat Frog
Fantasy Under a Blue Moon X V4
Crescent Dream
Thanksgiving Quest
Darkmoor Dungeon
Lolsidothaldremobine
Bliss

Add more titles, and vote!
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote: Missing

I think this will be the next choice of discussion, given how much attention it's been given simply after it's release.

I thought I would recommend MLAAP: The Kevin Chronicles as it is a game worth some attention which, it doesn't seem to have been given. You can find that I have reviewed it if you look at my profile thingy.

I think any of Friend's games are definitely worth discussion, and at one point or another should be discussed, as they are all worthy plays.

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote

Suggestion: If you are participating in the book club, invite a friend. Try to find one other person outside the OHRRPGCE community and ask them to play the game and comment on it. I think the perspective of people with no (or less) OHR experience would be valuable.
JSH357

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of these have been discussed to death in reviews, but it wouldn't hurt to touch on them again.

FUABMX gets my vote, I suppose.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing has already been discussed to death in its proper thread. It's a great game, but is there a month's worth of material to cover that we haven't already?

I'd kind of like more people to play Bliss (Mattgamerr). It's a short game, a 48hr contest entry IIRC, but it's interesting for several reasons and has quite the interesting ending.

Speaking of 48hr contests, haven't held one for awhile. We should do one labor day weekend.
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd kind of like more people to play Bliss (Mattgamerr).

There's no Bliss by Mattgamerr on CP. Maybe you mean Grief?

I think it'd probably be better to pick a game that's debated over. Picking a game that everyone liked or that everyone hated wouldn't make much sense, nor would a game that nobody was interested in enough to care about. None of those would create much discussion.

Everyone's pretty much drooling over Missing (it is rather awesome), so I don't know that it'd generate much interesting discussion.
Fat Frog was a joke suggestion.
I need to get around to playing FUABMX someday, but as an OHR classic I'm certain it could generate good discussion.
Crescent Dream is well-liked, but there are a good number of people who've seen it as flawed too. A good option.
TQ is definitely a favorite for many, but I think there's potentially some good discussion there.
Darkmoor Dungeon didn't seem to get much attention when it came out, and despite my problems with it it should be talked about more than it was.
Lolsidothaldremobine would probably be a good option for the same reason as FUABMX.
I haven't played Bliss yet but it could work.

Walthros should be added to the list.
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliss is Camdog's game.
Camdog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in doing a 'classic' OHR game, so I'm going to vote for FUABMX too.

Updated list:

Missing
Fantasy Under a Blue Moon X V4
Crescent Dream
Thanksgiving Quest
Darkmoor Dungeon
Lolsidothaldremobine
Bliss
MLAAP: The Kevin Chronicles
Purgatory
City of Dreams
Boundless Ocean

(I think those are all of Friend's games, let me know if I missed one.)

I ditched Fat Frog since I gather the only interesting thing about it is the unmitigated hubris of the creators trying to market a piece of garbage.

James Paige wrote:
Suggestion: If you are participating in the book club, invite a friend. Try to find one other person outside the OHRRPGCE community and ask them to play the game and comment on it. I think the perspective of people with no (or less) OHR experience would be valuable.

This is a good idea! Everybody do it!

TwinHamster wrote:
Bliss is Camdog's game.

Yup. It wasn't for a 48-hour contest, either, though it is a short play (about an hour).
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o snaps yes

I was thinking of Grief. Y'know, grief, bliss, it's all the same. This is what I get for trying to think after midnight. Those who played SCHMP when it was released know what happens to my cognitive ability that time of night.

I'll vote for

October's after that, no? I vote Scary Game 1 & 2 jointly for October, then Thanksgiving Quest for November (even though it was a Halloween game). I'm kind of interested in seeing if the SGs hold their own after so many plotscripting advances. (They are half an hour and an hour respectively, so it's still not a huge time commitment.)

There have been some excellent Christmas games, too, but I can only remember OHRer's Noel and that one by Retro before he was Retro that was kind of like Mario 64.

Walthros and Walthrus would make a great joint discussion sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suggest both Ends of the Earth I and II. Of all of the OHR games that I've played, these are the only memorable ones with some replay-value.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have the same definition of "replay value"? It means you play the game more than once, yes? Are you saying you actually did this for EOTE and EOTE2?

Don't get me wrong: they're probably the most well-known of any OHR games and certainly worth discussion at some point. But I take issue with them being the only games with replay value, especially when you've clearly stated that you're on at least your second playthrough of Darkmoor Dungeon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was that EOTE games were the only non-mentioned games that I could remember at the moment in which I ocassionally get the urge to play again.
Yes, DD certainly has plenty of 'replay value', but I figured enough people already mentioned it.

[note to self: avoid extremes in future]

I suppose the post should've come out like: "I RLY LKIED EOTE! WE SHOUDL TALK ABOUT EOTE SOMETIME!"
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's probably more precise... ;)
Bye-Bye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend is a god among us.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitch Black or OHR-Date could use a good blab.

But I vote for Thanksgiving Quest. That game was boss hog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: