Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Oscars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think BB's got a good idea going, but we're gonna need more than just one hopeful person to make this work, and numbers are low here in active OHR related members, not counting the random person here or there who submits a newbie game and leaves. If we are going to try and do anything, I'm always here to help out, since I'd like to see the OHR community pick up some.

Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff wrote:
PHC wrote:
I also agree that the IRC side of this site got abominably retarded and I stopped using it well over a year ago. Does anyone even use it any more?

All I've seen is idling and Gizmog monologing to himself. There used to be conversation in #ohrdev until Mike Caron turned into a dick and banned me just because I was testing and running a bot. I went and made #HamsterSpeak just so we could talk about general programming, related to OHR or not, because Mike Caron overmoderates #OHRDev. It's like Chaos Nyte all over again, he leaves his bot sitting in the channel and will read it's text window and respond to anything you say while he's "gone". Actually, now that I think about it, I got kickbanned because he made -his- bot autoban you if you cussed, except he made it so the bot didn't kick him when he did so.

Part of the problem was that the IRC side got control of the OHR side. The thing is though, it's a lot easier for people to dump a channel and move to another one.

Nnno. When you act like an ass in someone elses channel, don't be surprised when they bite back. You insulted me, swear at me, deliberately break the very very simple rules... Well, I don't care. Go play in your channel, I don't care. We're doing perfectly fine without you. I also don't care if people who visit my channel also visit yours, as it's a free world.

(And, yes, #ohrdev is going fine. Check the logs out some time, they're public and all)

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we not get into this? For once?

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyrewulff started it.

JSH357

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HE ONLY STARTED IT BECAUSE YOU CHEATED ON HIM!
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway alogn witht he fact that we all need to be in this to make it through.

We should reorganize some kind of award event for the end of the year. Since there is no top 30 or anything. I know games have been low lately but there are enough titles for an annual event.

-squall
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Caron wrote:
FyreWulff wrote:
PHC wrote:
I also agree that the IRC side of this site got abominably retarded and I stopped using it well over a year ago. Does anyone even use it any more?

All I've seen is idling and Gizmog monologing to himself. There used to be conversation in #ohrdev until Mike Caron turned into a dick and banned me just because I was testing and running a bot. I went and made #HamsterSpeak just so we could talk about general programming, related to OHR or not, because Mike Caron overmoderates #OHRDev. It's like Chaos Nyte all over again, he leaves his bot sitting in the channel and will read it's text window and respond to anything you say while he's "gone". Actually, now that I think about it, I got kickbanned because he made -his- bot autoban you if you cussed, except he made it so the bot didn't kick him when he did so.

Part of the problem was that the IRC side got control of the OHR side. The thing is though, it's a lot easier for people to dump a channel and move to another one.

Nnno. When you act like an ass in someone elses channel, don't be surprised when they bite back. You insulted me, swear at me, deliberately break the very very simple rules... Well, I don't care. Go play in your channel, I don't care. We're doing perfectly fine without you. I also don't care if people who visit my channel also visit yours, as it's a free world.

(And, yes, #ohrdev is going fine. Check the logs out some time, they're public and all)

All the logs are is your bot losing it's connection and reconnecting. Over and over again. Well, the last time I looked at them over a month ago. Yay fun woo.

It's not my problem if you have such a fragile ego. I wasn't out to get you or anything. You've blown everything out of proportion and make yourself the victim.

In short: you're still a dick. And I'm not alone in this thought.

Quote:
The IRC has always been a dump for general insanity Fyre. I don't consider IRC much more than a bunch of people playing "clubhouse."

Back in the day it was actually a good place to get help and talk about OHR in real time. Then it slowly became the dramedy we see today.
JSH357

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than having a top 30, why don't we just have user lists or even tags like on rateyourmusic, last.fm or gamefaqs?

Tags probably aren't too difficult to implement, and if you want to make a list of your top 10 ohr games you can already do it on your journal.

I don't think there's enough users here to warrant either at the moment, but there are alternatives to holding ceremonies. In any case, I doubt the top 30 would change much from last time if I were to run it again. (If anything, fewer people would vote so the results would be less interesting)

For now, contests are the way to go if you ask me.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah

-squall
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyre, could you display evidence of Mike's "fragile ego"?

BB, if you want to do something, just start something up and make sure it's structured well. As for me, I've got games I'm working on.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall wrote:
Fyre, could you display evidence of Mike's "fragile ego"?

?!?!!? You should not ask for flame wars!

Battleblaze wrote:
The IRC has always been a dump for general insanity Fyre. I don't consider IRC much more than a bunch of people playing "clubhouse."

(It's 'cause you provoke giz and play along. Honestly, it's because you make it so)

I'm pretty surprised that alot of you have reached a consensus on the reason for the "downfall of the community". I know I play OHR games alot less regularily than I used to. But that has nothing to do with lack of games being made. There are enough games on gamelists to keep me occupied for years. Prehaps a small few of you might have played most of what you believe is worth playing. This community has been amazingly productive, really. People seem to not be enthusiastic to participate currently, except for new members, who pretty amusingly don't notice any sort of downfall.

I still think it's perfectly possible to hold a top 30 and get reasonable results if you give it long enough.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a top 20 instead. Regardless of the actual number, I haven't noticed much of a drop in activity recently. Quite the contrary really. It's the QUALITY of people's posts that worries me sometimes. What I'm hoping will happen is that an upswing in new content packaged with the OHR along with more publicity will cause an increace in activity, game creation, and actual discussion of game design. In short, we need better bait.

1 - The pre-packaged midis that come with the engine aren't extensive enough. Someone needs to go and remix the songs by M.P.Mousorgsky with something other than piano, hopefully using the reorchestraions done by Ravel back in the 1800's or whatever. Anything to discourage people from using the same FF6 battle song again and again.

2 - Free graphics to use, especially for contest games. The idea was initially pitched by Chaos Nyte and Inferior Minion back in the day. For the most part, this is already going to happen with "Vikings of Midgard/Welcome.RPG". Somebody also pointed out recently that it looks like I'm donating more or less all of my original work to that project for newbies to use. For the most part that's entirely true.

3 - STHUAMYG.
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the deal with the free music that comes with the engine, anyway? Could I donate some? I'd be happy to donate the stuff I did for The Ritual.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know you can just send music to James or someone to include it in the music, as long as you allow anyone to use it, of course.

What we need is some stereo midis. No more mono, plsthnx.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: