Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Setting Stats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Setting Stats Reply with quote

Stat caps seem to be totally unable to work, despite them being refixed. Instead, a totally brilliant idea hit me, but it takes some work to explain.

When you go to edit in Hero statistics, normally you're allowed to put in only the (level 0) and (Level 99) totals, and the OHR automatically calculates what statistics that hero will have at any given level (barring of course any equipment or plotscripting). You can even place the inital and final stats in without having to hit (Enter). Here's where the idea comes in.

I want the ability to go in and manually place in the individual stats for given heroes at particular levels. For example, you've made the 0 and 99 stats for HP 50 and 9999 respectively. Highlight the "level zero" statistic for health, and it brings you to a subscreen which not only lists what the HP would be for level1, level 2, level 3, and so on - and also allows you to manually adjust what that statistic will be at any given level. Say you want the hero to gain a lot of HP early on, then not so much, then pick up again later on - well being able to manually assign this would be simpler this way. I imagine this would be hell to program in though, but it's this or get the stat caps working again.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike the though of setting each level manually... but being able to chose an arbitrary number of points on the curve would be cool (and yes, you could put 100 points if you were that masochistic)

The implementation needs some thought.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dislike? Why? I think it'd make game devlopment more precise. Knowing when the player going to level up and how strong they will be to tailor enemy strenth...While Fens at it, why not let the designer choose how much exp you need to level up?

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Camdog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be a pain in the ass to set stats for levels 1-99 manually. A curve with a few set points definied would be much easier on the game designer.
JSH357

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, I agree with BB and Fenrir on this one. I'd really like to have more control over stats, even individual-level control.

It would be so much easier to create an original battle system or make slight innovations if you didn't have to rely on the same growth formulas with every single game.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Probably the Grand Poobah or something

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... here's a few random ideas for how this could be done.

The Default: One curve, all stats for all heroes go by it. Only way to throw the curve off is to put a disproportionately high (or low) value for either level 0 or level 99.
Works pretty well, isn't complicated, but also isn't very flexible.

How RPG Maker 2000 and up have done it... (Multiple curves that can be picked out for stats)
Fast/Early--Stats go up more in the first 50 levels or so, and then slow down
Average--Stats rise at a pretty much constant level the whole way
Slow/Late--Stats start off slow, but rise faster the more you level up.
Lets you customize levels a bit more, and isn't too complicated either. Also, the "Slow/Late" growth rate could probably just be set to the default growth rate, based on what the example curves look like in the hero stats editor.

How RPG Maker 95 did it... (Growth varying between points)
Pick out a few places that will have a definite value for the stat (10 at level 0, 50 at level 20, and 150 at level 99, for example) and the growth rate will depend on that (in my example, it'd go up pretty fast in the first 20 levels in a rush to get to 50, then drag out a bit toward the end).
You could also make stats go up to a point, then start to drop for a while, then pick up again this way.
Either really simple or really complicated, depending on how many points you pick out and whether or not you can have different curves between them.

As long as it's not done like it was in RPG95 (none of that annoying, impossible-to-get-positioned-exactly-right mouse clicking crap. Keep it all on the keyboard!), I'd say the last one would be the best of the three options to base a "new" level-up system on, since you can still choose to only have two points if you want a simpler system, but you can customize it more if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: