Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

WELCOME.RPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fen, if you want any help, I'll be happy to contribute in any way. I'd especially love to do battle design.
I'm an idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll contribute a backdrop as soon as I can find it.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought Arrow If this game is to demonstate the capabilities of the OHRRPGCE without plotscripting, perhaps it would be a good chance to show off what tricks can actually be performed using the simple use of tags? I seem to remember that for months a lot of people kept asking how one of my games had a hero selection screen built using plotscripting, when it wasn't. I'm thinking it can show how to do some fairly simple tricks that make games look more professional, such as a selection screen, NPCs that say multiple things (Smiley Face RPG also does this), treasure chests, and so on. You know, a chance to show off what anyone can do even without an expansive knowlege of the OHR.

And keep it G-rated guys, but that goes without saying.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..G-rated?what do you mean?
..anyway,if the deadline's BEFORE the end of March,i'm in. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"G-rated" refers to the American movie rating system. A G rating is kid-friendly.

I agree with Fenrir. It would also be a good opportunity to showcase the flexibility of the battle engine. Very few games take advantage of its features.

Let me know if you would like to collaborate in any way, Fen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking along Fenrir's lines, if this game is supposed to show what kind of RPGs the OHR can pull off without plotscripting, I think that it ought to use as many of the pieces of the OHR as possible. In particular, there ought to be different kinds of spell lists (random, MP based, FF1 style), items and equipment, enough heroes to use the 'hire' part of the shop editor, vehicles, backdrops, some of the global text strings changed, random battles and NPC triggered battles, etc.

Okay, I should have typed "there ought to be as many of the following as possible". The tags and battles mentioned before are more key than any of those, I think. What about having one part of the game (a sort of side-quest or side-game) that does use plotscripting, so that the newcomer does not have to get involved in it if he or she does not wish to, but does have the chance to see a little bit of plotscripting in action?
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. This reminds me of the time when everyone broke into groups and began to formulate tutorial RPGs. *sigh*

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
Let me know if you would like to collaborate in any way, Fen.

I've already got a basic theme, I just need to flesh it out some, and add in some "subquests" and easter eggs. And I'll need a playtester.

TAG
Joe Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
and easter eggs

I completely forgot about that. In a small welcome RPG, half of the filesize should go into Easter eggs. One thing those do is give the newcomers an idea of what the community is like, which results in more welcome newbs. That doesn't mean tossing in a ton of inside jokes, of course, which will just confuse people.

Easter egg hunts are fun anyway. In fact, I think that would make a great contest.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..easter eggs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each Easter egg they find has a tip?

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: permissions Reply with quote

I am sorry that I totally failed to make this clear earlier, but I would prefer WELCOME.RPG to be something that people are allowed to use as they please. At best, Public Domain, or at least GPL compatable or Creative-Commons Attribution-Sharealike.... however, since I neglected to mention this until more than a week after I originally announced the idea, I am not going to be a stickler for this. As long as it is okay to distribute your game with the OHRRPGCE, it is okay.

When you submit your work, be sure to specify if it is PD, GPL, CC, plain-copyright-but-free or other. (You will be credited for your work no matter which licence you choose)
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..now that my thesis is almost finished,i really can enter this contest.is there a specific deadline,James?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianX wrote:
..now that my thesis is almost finished,i really can enter this contest.is there a specific deadline,James?

There is no specific deadline because I don't know when Tirgoviste will be released. it depends on how fast we solve the bugs on the Release Check List, and whether or not anyone finds any more critical bugs.

But that level of uncertainty is unfair for this sort of contest, so let's say the deadline is March 14, one month from the date I opened this thread.

(It is possible that Tirgoviste could be released before then, in which case Welcome.rpg would just have to wait for Ubersetzung to be included in the distribution)
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..wait,James,is it just me that experiences the rewards bug?what version of OHR should i use in the contest when i always experience that bug?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: