Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Music from Rimudora's works-in-progress.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Music from Rimudora's works-in-progress. Reply with quote

So liek, lately I've been working on a Dragon Quest fan-game, and I thought I'd share some MIDIs from the game for all of you.

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-display.php?song=107
Special Boss theme. (Used twice in the game.)

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-display.php?song=124
Normal Boss theme.

The looping in both themes could definitely use some work, but whatever. Please listen to them and tell me what you think.

Naturally, this won't be released on the OHR. (The boss theme, for once, makes MIDI2BAM crash.)

Last edited by Rimudora on Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention that these are meant to be somewhat generic, so I won't comment on that. I very much like how they're composed though, it's always changing, and therefore never boring. I really like the way the instruments come together, especially when it comes to the orchestra hits.

Anyway, just wanted to leave a comment for the comment-less.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LongeBane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your style reminds me of Final Fantasy Adventure. I really liked the music for the game, with the repetitive notes playing quickly in succession. It sets up the mood. That's two songs that are very nicely made.
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are for another game I'm working on, this one for the OHR.

http://rmsephy.250free.com/72MBS.BAM
- The "normal" boss theme. The tune spontaneously got stuck in my head during my morning classes (that happens to me a lot) and I wrote this the moment class got let out.

http://rmsephy.250free.com/72SKYEBS.BAM
- The "special" boss theme. I think something that really helps with thinking of ideas for songs is actually writing the script for the scene where you want the song to play, because before then I seriously had no idea how to write a song that would surpass 72MBS in intensity. I really don't like to admit this, but the rhythm shift towards the end was stolen from Symphonia's final boss.

They're both a little more than 90 minutes, except I think SKYEBS has more content since I didn't loop so much. Please listen to them with VDMS, not one of those MIDI tweak-a-dees, because both songs use choruses to some extent.
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-display.php?song=197

The boss theme for some game or other. Custom kind of fscks up the looping. I demand that someone gets this fixed.

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-display.php?song=185

The title screen theme for NoES. This one doesn't loop, or shouldn't.

Last edited by Rimudora on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-display.php?song=206

Big boss theme for NoES. Mind you, the BAM version and the MIDI version sound nothing alike, but they WERE based on the same theme.

Please listen and increase the play count. It makes me feel like people actually give a damn.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you still using BAMs? OHR now has 100% support for MIDIs.

The MIDI is pretty great. The style reminds me heavily of post-NES Castlevania. I didn't listen to the BAM.
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually wrote the BAM long before the OHR gained MIDI support, so don't worry about me ever writing a song in BAM ever again. And to dissolve any misconceptions that might be in place, this game's not for the OHR.

You hear that, OHR? It's not for you. >:(
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are thoroughly ENJOYABLE. The way they are composed is quite fluid. and like someone above said (I won't take credit for noticing this first) they are dynamic, changing at least a couple times per song. And yet they keep their themes.

The last Boss song for NoES starts off strong and gets a little weary. Wondering if that is supposed to describe the battle somehow...

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-display.php?song=207

Normal boss theme for NoES. This is kind of the opposite of Blasphemy. The other theme was supposed to embody discomfort and hopelessness. This one is supposed to represent fury and rage. At one point I was going to have it shift to 4/4 time in the middle of the song. While it might've been possible with BAM, it god damn near impossible with Anvil Studio, so I said fuck it.

I like to think I'm somewhat influenced by Motoi Sakuraba's compositions (he wrote the soundtracks for most of the TALES series and the Golden Sun games).
J.A.R.S.
In umbram deo, ex nihilo...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're willing to improve, here's a tip from me to you. Your music tends to lack decent basslines, not that its not decent, its just not there. I suggest you broaden your horizons of composing by adding the essential growl from a bass (or equivalent low-pitched sound from a fitting sample). I think your songs would benefit a lot from this addition, particularly the 2 first ones which have none (Note: Blasphemy has a decent one which makes it my favorite among the songs you have linked up to on here.)
If you want examples or help, feel free to ask me Happy
Have a good day
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear the "Tales of" influence in this one. It is pretty rockin'. I agree with JARS that it could benefit from a strong bass line, but it is a solid composition overall.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 makes me realize how much of a frustrated musician I just sounded like Raspberry! In comparison to my message, heis being very encouraging, which I seem to have forgotten to be. I had forgotten you don't know me, I'm a big critic, and if all I found to say was that your bassline was underdevelopped, I also meant that the instrumentalisation was very interesting too Happy Thought I'd point it out before my comments discouraged you (although I'm not sure you'd be that time, but just so i don't look like a complete asshole either haha)
It's good music Happy
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. Any constructive criticism is appreciated and (rest assured) put to heart. I really don't know much about basslines, so it really would help if you could give a few examples.

UPDATES:
http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-display.php?song=207
Edited version of "Oppression". Added bass parts to a few placed that didn't have them before, and it does make the song sound a bit more animated, particularly the parts towards the end.

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-display.php?song=216
New battle theme that I wrote, and the mid-boss theme for NoES.

http://www.castleparadox.com/songlist-display.php?song=213
The theme played in flashbacks. It's meant to sound regretful and nostalgic.
J.A.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, the three songs you have just supplied are far more bass-intensive. The mid-boss theme for NoES seems particularly adequate. The tweaking in volumes and intensity is a matter of personnal taste (I'm more on the bass side, but I can comprehend that some people favor a more subtle groove especially if there is so much action in the melodic... - shit my fingers are dirty ... -) lol sorry bout that, ya basically, these ones look already better, but I'll try to find a contrasting example and come up with it later when I get a sec to look for it Wink Oookay...
Keep it up rimu Wink

EDIT: I don't particularly "like" the last song, but its a very good loop, thought I'd point it out since I'm usually sucktard at looping my songs Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: