Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

How to make mp3s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beau_rl
Go-Goren Ishii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: How to make mp3s Reply with quote

I have noticed everyone is starting to make mp3s. How? Is there a program that changes the midi data into mp3 quality instruments? I would like to convert my midis to mp3. I had a dodgy (downloaded) version of Cubase that I used for a while, but then it stopped working. Karma. Raspberry!
LongeBane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you go about doing it is first, open your midi in your favorite midi player. Then open up the wav recorder microsoft has provided you with. Now here's the tricky part, and also secret feature of that program. Notice your floppy drive? How a dollar bill would fit perfectly in? Insert some money into it, the more money, the better the mp3 quality would be.

In all seriousness, It takes a lot of time and effort to create mp3s. You'll need a bunch of samples (the best ones cost a lot) and patience. Mixing and mastering also come into play, where you have to manipulate the sound.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the easiest way to do this is:

1) Follow the instructions here to use Winamp to create WAV files of your MIDIs (don't worry, the WAV files are real cheap on HD space (i.e. 6MB - 8MB))

2) Go here to download a program called CDex that you can use to convert WAV to MP3 and vice-versa without compromising the audio quality. (It will say under Cdex's CONVERT menu something like "Convert WAV to Compressed file format")

There, ya should be set.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LongeBane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said he wanted his midis to have "mp3 quality instruments." I don't think a simple wav output conversion would be to his satisfaction.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In beau's original post, he wrote:
I would like to convert my midis to mp3

If he really does want MP3 quality instruments, then it's not happening, at least not until Microsoft releases an operating system with higher wavetable MIDI translations.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
phyrfox
Avid Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Actually. Reply with quote

Well, there is one thing that's (often) overlooked. Not surprising, since it is a freeware program. You can download this little toy, load your MIDI files into it, and convert directly to mp3 format. Even better, you can swap out instruments you don't like with other samples... Of course, you have to find the samples first. The default translation is fairly impressive, however, and could create at least low-end mp3 quality files. Also might be worth looking at www.modarchive.com -- just be sure to get permission if you use any of the music stored there.

So, what's this awesome program? www.modplug.com. I've used it in the past; it lets me create/import note samples, load standard music files (mid, xm, s3m, it, other "synth" formats), edit or create new music files, and then output to a variety of formats, including mp3 if I want to. Of course, you'd have to use bam2midi to get it to load bam files, but...

By the by, you'll be wanting the 'tracker', not the 'player'. Kinda obvious, but I like to cover my bases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give this a try. Thanks.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I never liked Modplug is because of its god-awful polyphony restrictions. Now, for all I know, there might have been a way to redefine those parameters, but I never figured it out. All I knew is that Modplug enjoyed butchering my music about as much as BAM did.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: