Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

whoa! Brainblast!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishbone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: whoa! Brainblast! Reply with quote

i got the greatest i dea

this will make the site user friendly to everyone

rating system

say it with me

CONTENT RATING SYSTEM

e through m

or x

whatever

so when you upload a game, you check off the rating that you would give it, based on the games content!

then no one can complain!

anyone?

i cannot plotscript (sniff)
i can make music now(yes!)
i cannot plotscript (tear)
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempted before, but did not get off the ground. The main point of contention was who would decide what "M" and "T" games were, and secondly coding in those features
fishbone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well

the difference between t and m

is pretty much

is there nudity?
did they say the f word?
is there gratuitus gore and or violence?

i cannot plotscript (sniff)
i can make music now(yes!)
i cannot plotscript (tear)
DomGallo
Is a master. And you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish, I don't mean to offend you here, but you can't even spell gratuitous, do I want you deciding how my game should be rated? What's more, there's always people who are battle hardened old goats who don't flinch at anything, and then there's chickenshit soccer moms who think their kids have never heard anyone say "Fuck" before.

A rating system only works if a parent has his eye over your shoulder the whole time, and if a parent is actually selecting the game. Most kids are either going to ignore it, or just use it to skip the bullshit and find the good stuff, and a parent'll know and punish the kid by what's on the screen of the game, not by a tiny little "RATED M" sticker when the game was downloaded.

By the by, this TV Rating system in the US is great, not only do I know that a program is meant for Adults Only, I know it's because of heavy sexual content, just what I was in the mood for. I don't have to waste my time on things that SOUND dirty, or might be dirty, I can dive right in and get what I want. (The V-Chip is mostly what makes that system worth while, and computers don't have V-Chips (Thank God [Yet]) to block out that kind of stuff.

It's a cute idea, but I don't think the community's quite ready to just like the big boys at the ESRB just yet.

Don't eat Turkey for Christmas. I WILL FIND OUT.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bajillion people, including myself, have tried to get people to go with this, and so far nobody wants it. Just play at your own risk pretty much.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like we have that many "mature"-rated games. Most games have disclaimers for content, except the blatantly obvious ones (Hentai Quest).

Of course, we could always do it by author:
Gizmog: M
Everyone Else: E-T
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESRB, TV, and Movie ratings are all trademarked.

And for any of it to work, the authors would decide for themselves, and you'd have the jerks marking "Sgt. Bob's Sex Adventure in Penisland" as suitable for 2 year olds.

So in short, you should play the game, find out if you think it's offensive. If offensive, stop playing the game. If not, continue.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make it simple...

Just toss in a new part of the game review format, stating age recomendations. Just let the reviewer say what he thinks is right, be it "8+" or "Mature audiences" or "Senile grandparents" or whatever.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
DomGallo
Is a master. And you?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do that, I'll review every god damn game on the list and put "NOT SUITABLE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION".

Don't eat Turkey for Christmas. I WILL FIND OUT.
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ESRB ratings don't necessarily mean a lot to those of us not in the US, either. We have our own crappy ratings system here in the UK.

Obviously violence is going to feature in most RPGs. The issues are likely to be offensive language and maybe sexual content. I'd hope most authors would give the necessary warnings and make their intended audience clear.

But who is going to police it anyway? People are generally downloading their own games, I assume, so parental control isn't likely to feature. Are there people here who would choose not to play something with bad language in it?
Valigarmander
Bye-Bye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point in having a rating system here at CP. That ESRB crap and such are just for overly-protective mothers who're afraid their kids might see a booby or something. And since most people who download OHR games don't do it for their kids or whatever, it'd be kind of pointless.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valigarmander wrote:
That ESRB crap and such are just for overly-protective mothers who're afraid their kids might see a booby or something.

I like how you think, comrad! bahahaha!

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valigarmander wrote:
I don't see the point in having a rating system here at CP. That ESRB crap and such are just for overly-protective mothers who're afraid their kids might see a booby or something. And since most people who download OHR games don't do it for their kids or whatever, it'd be kind of pointless.

I would bet money you are some under-17-year-old who is mad his mom wouldn't buy him Halo 2.

Also, this thread is 2 months old.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It dosen't really matter hwta the rating is, as long as it isn't something like mutant penis cum drinking contest v.2006. They kinda trust me and know they didnt raise some kid who'll play 'Enter the Matrix' then kill his parents because he claimes they're agents. Rolling Eyes

What families are even on CP. If you have enough intelligence to find the site and use the OHR I don't think anyone cares.

Side Note:My Dad likes to poke fun at me by saying I'm having phone/cyber sex everytime he sees me on a computer, so I assume he knows that I know about the elusive phenomenon of boobies.

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Valigarmander
Bye-Bye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would bet money you are some under-17-year-old who is mad his mom wouldn't buy him Halo 2.

Nah, my mom doesn't really give a crap what I do. I just get really bugged how parents tend to overreact whenever there's a little bit of blood or swearing or nudity or alchohol or animal cruelty or people cruelty or satanic lyrics in a game. Raspberry!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: