Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Sword of Jade: Parallel Dreams v1.5 and v2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your favorite medium-length dungeon in any game was about...
90% puzzles, 10% fights
38%
 38%  [ 8 ]
50% puzzles, 50% fights
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
10% puzzles, 90% fights
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, I double posted. Anyway I agree with hireintelligence, 75-25 or thereabouts is what I really would like.

Last edited by TMC on Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
hireintelligence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 90% puzzles 10% fights but really I prefer something like 70-30.

Last edited by hireintelligence on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DomGallo
Is a master. And you?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also voted 90% puzzles, 90% fights.

Don't eat Turkey for Christmas. I WILL FIND OUT.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't an option, nor is it mathematically possible.
Is a master. And you?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I was making fun of Hireintelligence, who put 90%, 50% (You'll notice he edited his post.). I actually voted I think for puzzles, because I hate dungeons that are all battles. There was a dungeon in Pokemon where you had to push rocks around, and there was a random encounter every 3 steps. It was INSANELY boring.

Don't eat Turkey for Christmas. I WILL FIND OUT.
benjetta96
Benjetta Games! Founder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be going a little off topic, but I think that this game would have been completed and bug-proof a long time ago if they would have used RPG Maker XP. It has many possibilities, especially with the script function.

"It's quite ironic, that in life, the person who brings out the best in you, and makes you strong, is actually your weakness..." -Unknown
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPIC FIVE YEAR BUMP? (No seriously, this is one old topic!)

There are actually pros and cons to using both engines. SOJ was probably just a lot easier to finish with the OHR since Fyre and Charbile had already gotten a significant amount of work finished on it. The OHR makes a lot of things simpler, like having the ATB battle system built in. Whether or not it's better depends on the game.

The OHR has actually improved so much in the last four years (since this game's release) that I would say it rivals many bigger engines at this point. The main limitations are stuff like the screen resolution and lack of non-annoying data structures in the scripting language.

Also, RMXP was released in September of 2005, and SOJ started development probably five years before then (if I remember right. You would have to ask Fyrewulff though) so there's no way they would have thought to use it. I remember Fyre saying something about trying Game Maker, but it must not have worked out.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the wiki "Sword of Jade started development in late 1998 and early 1999"

At one point Fyre was working on a GameMaker version of SoJ in parallel to the OHR version. I found this a bit hard to believe, but he did provide (simple) screenshots as proof. I think he dropped the idea pretty quickly.

I'm not sure, but I think the "1.5" release happened, but the "2.0" release didn't. There are several versions floating around, and I have no idea what's changed since the playtesting version I played. And I expect to see some further update to the game at some point ;)
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Versions of SoJ:

OHR Version: the one that ended up released

RPG Maker: whatever version was being handed around back in the day, I tried to port the first town over and decided the engine favored cookie cutter games too much.

Game Maker Version: Towns were working, my failing was not being able to replicate the OHRRPGCE battle system. It died because of this. I mostly missed it for the mouse based movement and menus.

RPG-ACE: Little known version that I may have posted screenshots of. Moogle1 made a Zelda clone engine and I did a port of SoJ's first town to it, but since RPG ACE was killed or backburnered by Moogle not long after, it never got farther than a prototype.

VERGE: lol no

To reply to the other part of the 5 year bump post, no, another engine wouldn't have gotten the game done faster. Also a lot of it's bugs are engine bugs, but the game is just so big that it was inevitable that there would be ones that were our fault. You have to start picking and choosing what gets fixed when the scripts were taking like 15 minutes to compile each time right before release.

To reply to my original post that started this thread, most of 1.5 is out there somewhere on the internet, but I forget where, 2.0 never happened because movingontobetterthings.jpg

edit: while I'm here, I guess I'll say what one of my most annoying bugs were. It's the one that (still probably) sends the camera scrolling in the wrong direction when moving between rooms in a dungeon. If I remember correctly, I did the Zelda-style screen movement by locking the camera when entering a dungeon, and then placing a special NPC at the 'doors' facing in the direction the camera should go in. The other end of the hallway Dogero walks through has the complimentary NPC facing the other direction.

The script would activate when Dogero stepped on the NPC, which would then look in the direction of the NPC until it found a copy, delete that copy, save it's location, then walk Dogero to the NPC+1, then place a new copy back in place after Dogero walked past it.

For some reason I'll never be able to figure out, there was like a 1 in 100 chance the camera would be sent in the OTHER direction than intended. I tried putting safeguards in script but it never worked. In the end, I just assumed that the engine was randomly incorrectly returning the direction the NPC was in, but I always apologized to people when they reported that happening to them halfway through a dungeon Sad... I probably should have just built a table and made a "fix the stupid camera" key that would force the camera to the correct room when pressed in dungeons based on player x,y
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff wrote:

Game Maker Version: Towns were working, my failing was not being able to replicate the OHRRPGCE battle system. It died because of this. I mostly missed it for the mouse based movement and menus.

Mouse-based movement and menus is my next top priority after I have the Editor-Editor working... and I might start on it sooner anyway, if I get bogged down :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: