Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Music Code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Music Code Reply with quote

Ok, so not usually two words you hear in such close proximity to eachother. However...

As a few of you know, the next version of the OHR will feature Midi music in addition to BAM (in the windows/Linux ports only...).

However, Midi doesn't have any sort of method of doing proper looping. Just blindly looping the song doesn't help either (victory fanfares, anyone?)

So, I invented a solution: http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/Music_Code. I want some feed back, and C&C.

I bet some of you are wondering why I posted this here, as opposed to, say, Announcements. Well, this deals directly with the musician, as the current proposal allows for some very neat effects.

For example, take Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy VI. For those not in the know, Dancing Mad is the Final Battle song. The final battle has four parts, and the song has four sections. When you defeat a section, you move on to the next, and the music changes accordingly.

But, it doesn't just change. Oh no. It plays until a natural break in the song (say, when it would loop), and then switches. This means that it goes to the next section while you're in the middle of that section. It's a really cool effect, having seamless music transitions.

Well, a similar thing could be done here by using the conditional jumps (is this tag set? If it is, continue on. Otherwise, loop.)

And, the opera scene from the same game could be done too using the tag-setting (or variable setting) commands at each voice note, and having a plotscript checking the tag continuously until it's set, and then reseting it when it shows the next lyric.

So... yeah.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really going to read through the whole wiki section, (I had a very long day), but the proposal is very very very very very very appealing, and from my experiences with programming, it seems very doable at this point. I say go for it dude.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexy.
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hells yeah, this is a good idea!

Will this mean I can loop from a fanfare before a victory piece into the victory piece and every sequential loop will skip the fanfare?

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artimus & Moogle1: Thanks!

Leroy: Yes, and even better. Say someone in the game does something great, and you want to play just the fanfare (not the looping part), you could set a tag, and then put "if tag set: stop song" at the beginning of the loop, so it won't play the rest if the tag is set.

The possibilities are night almost endless

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
msw188

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound effects?

Even more complicated (I assume), will it be possible to have plotscripting (or something) change volumes midsong? And/or would it be possible to have more than one song playing at once? Together, these could make songs fade into each other...

Sorry if these requests are rediculous, I do not know anything about midi or programming.
SilentAngel
The Angel of Silence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like an excellent idea, actually, and it's kinda the missing piece in the puzzle for a project I've been wanting to work on for a while. Being able to set tags during any part of the song could trigger anything, be it an NPC, lyrics, whatever. Sounds spiffilicious. I say go for it Big grin

Stepmania Online Stats:

Next song to pass on Stepmania: Paranoia Survivor Max (Heavy)
Next song to pass on DDR: MaxX Unlimited(Standard)
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msw188 wrote:
Sound effects?

Even more complicated (I assume), will it be possible to have plotscripting (or something) change volumes midsong? And/or would it be possible to have more than one song playing at once? Together, these could make songs fade into each other...

Sorry if these requests are rediculous, I do not know anything about midi or programming.

Alas, more than one song is not possible in the implementation I'm creating. Allegro can only play one song at a time. However, volume is possible, as will be seeking to arbitrary parts in the song.

However, I just discovered something with Allegro. It uses an measurement called "beats" for midis. I'm not sure how long a beat is, but I suspect that it has something to do with a song event. I dunno.

My point is that it's not as fine a measurement as I would like. I made a simple victory fanfare loop thing, but when it loops, the label is slightly off (a beat is a bit shorter than a second of play time, so that's a fairly wide margin)

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
SilentAngel
The Angel of Silence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could do it with music being counted by ticks rather than seconds? Might be a bit more accurate, I'm not sure.

Stepmania Online Stats:

Next song to pass on Stepmania: Paranoia Survivor Max (Heavy)
Next song to pass on DDR: MaxX Unlimited(Standard)
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was reading up about MIDI for the conversion routine in WinOHR, a beat was equivalent to a quarter note. The default tempo is 120 bpm, which is half a second per beat, but the MIDI tick resolution is usually much finer.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, does this mean the limit of 100 songs would be eliminated through special looping tags and tricks?

Oh, and if that limit was already resolved with some version of OHR already, sorry for being ignorant. The question sill applies, however, though with a much bigger number.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilentAngel wrote:
Maybe you could do it with music being counted by ticks rather than seconds? Might be a bit more accurate, I'm not sure.

If I could, I would. However, that would require haxoring up the Allegro library, which is something I really don't want to do.

If I had my way, it would be counted in Midi ticks, which is 240 to the quarter beat, which should be fine enough for everyone.

JoeMan wrote:
Ooh, does this mean the limit of 100 songs would be eliminated through special looping tags and tricks?

Oh, and if that limit was already resolved with some version of OHR already, sorry for being ignorant. The question sill applies, however, though with a much bigger number.

Not really, and no.

The song limit is in the process of being removed. That's all I can say at this point.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool wee will find tha m00sic limmitts, and TERMINATE themm.

After writing uhp a couple bills furst.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ohrdev.com/miditest.zip

Well, here is a sort of "test bed" for music code. It implements the whole spec, with the following exceptions:

* variables are not implemented, and any "set variable" or "if variable" commands will be ignored. This will change in the next version.

* Tags are limited to 8 (I was lazy and used 1 byte). However, you can change them with the left and right arrows, and space.

* Chorus is not implemented (no one uses it, right?). Laziness again. This will also be rectified soon.

Anyway, a description of what you see:

The top of the window shows the current position of the song, in beats. As the song plays, that goes up.

Below that are two columns. The column on the left shows the label positions. They default to 0, of course. The column on the right shows the Jump counters. If a limited jump is encountered, a jump counter is set, and everytime thereafter, when that jump is hit, the counter goes down by one. When it reaches zero, it ignores the jump, and resets the jump to undefined.

Below that are the tags. An unset tag is blue, a set one is green, and the highlighted tag is flashing. Use Left and Right to select another tag, and use Space to toggle.

Finally, the far right is the volume. Use Up and Down to change that.

Use Escape to quit.

This is a command line program, and *requires* an argument, the midi to play. And, don't be fooled by the window it spawns; it'll still hog the console until it quits.

I included the Final Fantasy Fanfare, looped, for your listening enjoyment. Sorta. You'll notice what I mean in regards to the "beat" measurement not being fine enough, but, there's not much I can do, and the benefits outweigh the negatives, right? Thought so.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
DomGallo
Is a master. And you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think with creative tags and looping, you probably could bypass the 100 song limit, by segmenting songs and only activating tags when you needed them, pretty easily. After all, it's a 100 song limit, you make one or two songs a bit bigger, split 'em in half and tag 'em right, and you've got 200. I'm no expert, but it seems feasible if you have any kind of a creative mind in your body.

Don't eat Turkey for Christmas. I WILL FIND OUT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: