Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Whats cookin fer OHR 360/OHRIII/OHR Revolution.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Whats cookin fer OHR 360/OHRIII/OHR Revolution. Reply with quote

Whatever the next upgrades called I'd like to know what some new plans are AND I have request.

Ahem.James never wanted to change the battle scripting,he simply said no.But now that its in other hands I'd be so happy if there were just a few SIMPLE options.They are all in order of usefulnss...

1)The Ability to make the whole screen flash to give an attack more boom.Double points if it can make the enimies/heros jiggle some to make an earthquake effect.

2)The Option to animate your screen between 2-3 backdrops.It would add a whole new dimension of life to battles.(this is actually tied with #1)Triple points if sound is finally added (But I don't expect it to be)

3)The option to have an enemy picture change to another picture(like a battle damaged one) when its HP goes past a certain level.Double points if you can 'picture switch' for other stats such as MP (magic overdrive?)

4)The Option to make the hero's move and attack just a weee bit slower.You barely can appreicate art when its less than blur its a blink worth of motion.Double poitns if move speed is determined by attack speed.Triple points if when the attack fails the "hurt" frame flashes and the hero moves slowly back into the ranks.

Like I said all these things would make OHR battles exponentially greater.Right now the only really cinematic thing in the battles is spawning and attacks with sentences as captions(whoever did that first is a genius).I just wish battles were more like battles with caption you have time to read and literally moving backrounds and heros that dont break the sound barrier when they attack.

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want lazer pointer remote support.
vandam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If James Paige made it that you could use mp3 and wave formats,
would that make it extremely slow?

And yes slower movements would be a very good option to have.
The Angel of Silence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like the right thread to do this...but I have a suggestion/question (I'm not sure if it can be done, but hey, the guys working on the OHR releases now managed to put in some stuff which we didn't think would ever be part of the OHR):
Is it possible to make battle attacks so that more than one person can attack? For example, there's hero's x, y and z. An attack (let's call it "Double Fire" for simplicity's sake) means that heroes x and y come forward and cast it. One attack, but two people come forward. Or even three people. Obviously if the second person isn't in your party you can't cast the spell.
This is something I've like to have seen in the OHR for quite a while now, but if it's not possible then that's cool too.

Stepmania Online Stats:

Next song to pass on Stepmania: Paranoia Survivor Max (Heavy)
Next song to pass on DDR: MaxX Unlimited(Standard)
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats cookin fer OHR 360/OHRIII/OHR Revolution. Reply with quote

Battleblaze wrote:

4)The Option to make the hero's move and attack just a weee bit slower.You barely can appreicate art when its less than blur its a blink worth of motion.Double poitns if move speed is determined by attack speed.Triple points if when the attack fails the "hurt" frame flashes and the hero moves slowly back into the ranks.

Or more frames could be added to hero sprite or attack animations. But someone told me that wouldn't happen, so I don't expect it to. Slow motion would make for a kick ass effect, though.

Also, would it be too terribly hard to put spell descriptions in the spell list (Edit: Under menu and "Hero spells" default)?
We got item descriptions. Why can't we have spell descriptions? NO ONE WILL KNOW THE HORROR THAT IS THE "CHAKRA" ATTACK.

Battleblaze wrote:

Like I said all these things would make OHR battles exponentially greater.Right now the only really cinematic thing in the battles is spawning and attacks with sentences as captions(whoever did that first is a genius).I just wish battles were more like battles with caption you have time to read and literally moving backrounds and heros that dont break the sound barrier when they attack.

Here here! *Slams a goblet of orange juice on his desk, throwing the sticky liquid all over his keyboard*
kjdgjlkdjflhkjflkgjhlkdjflkhjdlkh all clean. Happy

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "

Last edited by LeRoy_Leo on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandam wrote:
If James Paige made it that you could use mp3 and wave formats, would that make it extremely slow?

No, but if he did that then he'd have to remove some other non-essentials such as NPCs and battles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gutted!
the fool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In shops, it would be nice if that apple could be traded for an orange and a banana. It's annoying to see that I can only trade one item for another. Perhaps if it could bring up a list of all the items, and we could check off which items that you need to have to trade for that item.

This would make alchemy in the OHR a whole lot easier.
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack's request reminded me of something I've wanted for a while: the ability to trade for more than one item. Like, buying item A requires 3 item B's. At the moment you can only trade with one item at a time.
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats cookin fer OHR 360/OHRIII/OHR Revolution. Reply with quote

!!!Note!!!

The following statements reflect progress and possibilities of DOS OHR. Windows OHR will be better than anything DOS OHR could do. At least, it will when it splits and becomes the official one.

Currently, we are developing them in parallel, James heading DOS OHR, and PlayerOne heading Windows OHR. We are aiming for cross-compilation between QBasic and FreeBasic (A QB clone on crack). Once that is achieved, and Windows OHR is stable enough, we will finally bury DOS OHR, and join you in the 21st century.

Thank you.

!!!End Note!!!

Battleblaze wrote:
Whatever the next upgrades called I'd like to know what some new plans are AND I have request.

Ok, here's what we have planned for the next version (that hasn't already been mention 5^123 times):

Other than those, it's anyone's guess.

Battleblaze wrote:
Ahem.James never wanted to change the battle scripting,he simply said no.But now that its in other hands I'd be so happy if there were just a few SIMPLE options.They are all in order of usefulnss...

What makes you think we want to change it anymore than he does? Have you ever looked at the battle code? Good. Don't, it'll lower your Will stat.

Battleblaze wrote:
1)The Ability to make the whole screen flash to give an attack more boom.Double points if it can make the enimies/heros jiggle some to make an earthquake effect.

I can't think of any witty remarks, so I'll be serious. Flashing the screen should be possible. We'll see what happens.

Battleblaze wrote:
2)The Option to animate your screen between 2-3 backdrops.It would add a whole new dimension of life to battles.(this is actually tied with #1)Triple points if sound is finally added (But I don't expect it to be)

This suggestion is overloaded. Parsing into two suggestions.

I agree, animated backgrounds would be nice. In fact, I'll see if I can do this tonight. I'll try and do the following:

"# of frames" - the animation would be consecuitive backgrounds (i.e. in a row)
"frame delay" - 1 would swap backgrounds each frame (say, if you're fighting on a road), 2 would be every other frame, etc. (a really slow one, like 20, could be used for lava, etc.)

Sound is quite possible (TMC got it working, but the memory usage would jump dramatically, and it's for a small buffer. Ask him for more details.)

Battleblaze wrote:
3)The option to have an enemy picture change to another picture(like a battle damaged one) when its HP goes past a certain level.Double points if you can 'picture switch' for other stats such as MP (magic overdrive?)

While possible in theory, you can already do this via spawning. Not high on our priority list.

Battleblaze wrote:

4.1 - Chaining, anyone?

4.2 - Not generic enough.

4.3 - Not generic enough. Not every hero feels dejected when he/she misses. Most just go "damn, well, next turn!".

Battleblaze wrote:

Of course, battle scripting would render most of this useless. And, it's not entirely out of the question (eventually. Not any time soon).

Moogle1 wrote:
vandam wrote:
If James Paige made it that you could use mp3 and wave formats, would that make it extremely slow?

No, but if he did that then he'd have to remove some other non-essentials such as NPCs and battles.

Actually, I think we could accomodate MP3 by removing all the graphics.

LeRoy_Leo wrote:
Also, would it be too terribly hard to put spell descriptions in the spell list (Edit: Under menu and "Hero spells" default)?
We got item descriptions. Why can't we have spell descriptions? NO ONE WILL KNOW THE HORROR THAT IS THE "CHAKRA" ATTACK.

Yes it would. There are 32767 spells, versus 255 items.

SilentAngel wrote:
Is it possible to make battle attacks so that more than one person can attack? For example, there's hero's x, y and z. An attack (let's call it "Double Fire" for simplicity's sake) means that heroes x and y come forward and cast it. One attack, but two people come forward. Or even three people. Obviously if the second person isn't in your party you can't cast the spell

Hmm... The way the battle engine is set up... erhm...

I am not familiar enough with the battle code (read the top of my post) to say how much work that would be. It should be possible. I mean, it's more or less: Move 2+ heroes, set their frames different, do an attack-

Ah ha. How would you show an attack coming from more than one person? We can't just simply draw the attack twice, since there's a limit of how many attack "instances" can be on screen at once (specifically, 11. Count the number of copies of a "wave" attack there are for proof).

Shadowiii wrote:
I want lazer pointer remote support.

I know not what a "lazer" is. Error.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vandam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheez!
James must put alot of time in his work,
it all seems very complicated.
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Why do we HAVE to switch to Windows? Question 2: If you people are crazy enough to have the main version of OHR be windows, will you maintain a dos version, and question 3: Presuming the answer to question 2 is no, and I let you live, what versions of windows will be supported?
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Senior: Imagine you have two boxes, into which you want to pack oranges. One box is labeled "DOS", and the other is labeled "Windows" (and/or Linux). The "DOS" box is about the size of a cereal box (the Jumbo Family packs), whereas the "Windows" box is the size of New York.

It's possible to fit a lot of Oranges in the "DOS" box, but only if you squish them in. However, the Windows box will hold many many oranges, with ample room.

Summary: We want more room to work

Question the Second: Once we switch to the Windows port, and add new features that cannot be added to the Dos version, we will retire it. Plain and simple. It will be impossible to maintain.

Question III: All, since Windows 95 (I believe. Mmmaybe Win98, and Mmmaybe not Windows NT 4. I need to check).

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as 95 and 98 work, I'll be happy, but if you guys were to pull some boner like making it XP exclusive, realize I'd be forced to kill you all, despite all the good work you've done. I kind of understand the memory requirements, but I just want to be sure we don't get rid of my favorite part of the engine, which is it's low system reqs.
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no nononono. Perish the thought! I don't even use XP...

It will work in at least 98. Basically, it hinges on the drawing routines. We're using the native drawing routines of FreeBasic. However, I do not know what the routines use (DirectX or just drawing directly to the screen; I suspect the latter, since it's cross-platform)

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: