Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Rune Mage Battle Engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  

AFTER YOU READ THE POST AND CHECK THE GAME, the battle engine looks...
good, and original.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
good, and somewhat original.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
good, but unoriginal.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
okay, but original.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
okay, and somewhat original.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
okay, but unoriginal.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
bad, but original.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
bad, but somewhat original.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
bad, and unoriginal.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Rune Mage Battle Engine Reply with quote

I just added a small .rpg file called Rune Mage to the gamelist. There's not much there but the title screen and a tutorial of how the battle engine I'm making for it works, and there's no playable content. The tutorial gives you a good idea of what the game will be like, though. Granted, it's not all of the battle sequence... after spells have been cast, the game will switch to a screen where you see the people casting spells at each other... but it's a good idea of the part you control.

The game basically works with both you and your opponent laying out elements for use in spells, taken from your elemental bank, where three of the elements in your inventory pop up randomly. There are three slots in the spell to put the elements in, which are: Element, Form, and Extra. The same element can also be used more than once in a spell, allowing for up to 64 different combinations using the elements of Air, Earth, Water, and Fire. Then there's stuff like casting levels, mp costs, elemental bonuses, etc.

So, obviously, I'm looking for opinions on how the engine looks. Again, there's no playable content, so don't expect any. It'll take me a while to get the real thing out, because even though I have a 'rough draft' script of the general battles, I still have to work out tons of little bugs and build seperate A.I.s for different opponents. However, if no one wants to see it, that'll save me a lot of trouble... I'm not going to play the game except to check for bugs, it won't be fun because I'll know where everything is, what all the spells are and how to beat all the enemies. Soooo... how does this look so far?
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of this. It looks like it would be fun to play and it would require strategy. However, is there going to be a separate screen that tells you what the spell's effect is (after casting it, of course), possibly a name, and a spell animation?

Also, unless I missed it, you didn't really explain how the 'form' and 'extra' slots work, you just told what they are. You may want to put something about that in.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first question, yes. The first time you see a spell it will be explained, and you will ALWAYS see the name of any spell that was cast. Also, if you need to see the explanation again, there's an item you can use out of battle. Even though it won't be explained in battle after you see it cast the first time, the effect will still be fairly obvious, unless it's just something like a scan-type spell and it was used against you. There will also be a full-screen animation the first time you see a spell (or maybe just a still picture, depending on how much filespace I figure it will all take up), and an npc animation afterwards, as well as every time after the first time. Your character and the enemy will also be animated on the same screen, and will move when casting a spell. Like I said before, though, this will only appear after casting a spell or using an item.

The form and extra slots don't really have any bonuses like the element one, as of yet (I may make different Forms have bonuses or hinderances based on what equipment you're wearing), and serve more as the defining factors of a spell. As an example, the Scan spell will PROBABLY be a Fire Element spell with a Wind Form, and a Water Extra. With spells that do no damage, like Scan, bonuses or hinderances will affect the likeliness of achieving the desired effect.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a landslide! Since 100% of the OHR community (cough) thinks it's a good idea and is at least somewhat original, I'll do it!!

The problem with plotscripting things is not that it's hard, but that's it's so incredibly TEDIOUS. Here's an example of what the script to find the last digit of the current hp is like:
Code:
If (stat--(num1*100)--(num2*10)==0)
Then(set variable(num3,0)
create npc(0,12,8,up)
Set npc frame (npc at spot(12,8),0))

Imagine that over, and over, and OVER. And YES, I know I could've just put it into a 'for' loop. I figure out how to shorten everything AFTER I type out the long version, which is incredibly annoying.
I'm going to need a bug-checker-tester person EVENTUALLY, but considering the large number of imaginary ignore lists I'm on, that'll be pretty hard to get.

And a note to DC playtesters: I finished the first thing (though it IS (real dungeon) dungeonless, it's still about an hour long, and I need some advice despite the lack of battleness), but I CAN NOT find your names. I'm not giving up on DC, but I find that if I split time between this and DC I don't get bored enough with either to send me onto one-week vacations. Making this will actually speed up on production on DC, so if you any of you surface, don't accuse me of forgetting bout it.

And uh... sorry about double-posting. I just wanted to announce that I AM going through with this. Not that anyone really cares...
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use modules division to find out particular digits in a number. Basically (I think) to find out the last number in a digit is:

number, mod, 10

Yeah, that's it. A lot easier, eh? Oookay...
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... yeah... well... that's not fair, because I'm an idiot and you're a plotscripting master. You simplified a page long plotscript into a single, simple command. I think I may just cry...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: