Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Current and Future Projects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Blubber wrote:
At the moment, I'm mostly working on Okédoké!, adding on what I sent in for the 8-Bit Contest. I'm going to be sticking with the NES-style graphics, though, since I've been wanting to make an NES-style game for years anyway--the contest was just a good chance to finally start on one, I guess.

Just letting you know I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I just spent the last couple hours playing through it, so much that I have a headache--not your fault, I just have to play sound through my headphones these days if I actually want to hear some quality and the 8-bit sound effects that come standard causes pain--especially the death effect. But I think the setup is cool and the characters are memorable.

I just finished all the stuff with the abandoned mine and fought my way back to the main town and am now working my way up through the desert path.

I must say that the ability to miss targets is way too high and considerably annoying. That and the default sound effects are the only negatives going into the game. The low experience / money gain is a bit problematic, too, but that's only because it seems no matter how high I level Garbanzo up, he still can't hit those dang scorpions (or skulls, or anyone).

Other than that, I think this is one of those games I'll be looking forward to playing as a finished version. So hopefully you'll finish it.

And I'm impressed how much you were able to cram in there in just a month's time.

Anyway, this will probably be in my Top 3 for the contest votes (though, it wouldn't be fair to mention where in the Top 3).

Great job.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crenomaster
MMMHMMHPH KILL PONIES MMMMPH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I'm working on an OHR game. Actually it's my first OHR project. I haven't been able to continue it for while, since my crappy computer won't still run OHRRPGCE. My bro's computer can but I don't often get to use his computer. Oookay...

For my luck, I happened to be okay at drawing walkabouts and battle sprites.
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on Slimes. It's gonna be awesome. I'm also scripting for a Zombie game by Bluetrain( I don't know what his name is on castle paradox. ) It's a zelda style shooter. It's looking good and I hope it turns out that way.

SCREEN SHOTS!

SLIMES

Last Man Standing
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow you're working with the underscore dude! Thats awesome, can't wait to try it out (nor can I wait for Slimes :p)

I'm currently working on Legends Of Nedaria, which reminds me, I really need to update the journal :S I suppose I'll update it before the first release, in about 2 days to a week at the most :p
BTW D'ya think a 2 hour demo is a bit much or not enough? (about 3 in game chapters)
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
D'ya think a 2 hour demo is a bit much or not enough? (about 3 in game chapters)

Really depends on the expected final length of the game. If it's gonna be a 20 hour game then 3 hours is fine. If it's gonna be a 4 hour game then you might want to take it back some. I'm sure it'll be great, and look forward to it.
Crenomaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just testing the crappy chipset I made.
The map will not come to the game, though.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crenomaster wrote:
since my crappy computer won't still run OHRRPGCE. My bro's computer can but I don't often get to use his computer. ^^;

Does it give you an error message when you try?
Crenomaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the problem's kinda solved, since the old one where OHRRPGCE didn't work broke. So I have a new one and OHR works on it.

I asked help from this forums about million years ago but I couldn't really solve the problem. I guess my old XP was way too crappy to run it.

So... ummm, solved.
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: My game project Reply with quote

I'm in the early stages - but everyone I've talked to seemed to like the game's opening storyline.

Twenty years ago, an academy of wizards are involved in a magical mishap. A terrible monster, named "The Klebberked", is unleashed upon the land. Consequently, all forms of sorcery are deemed unlawful by royal decree, forcing the wizards to disband and scatter themselves across distant lands.

Presently, a former academy member named Saminaster is secretly trying to regroup with his old peers. He intends to kill the Klebberked Monster, and redeem sorcery in the eyes of the royalty.

This is the fun part:
Twenty years gives a wizard plenty of time to find trouble. As Saminaster looks for his old friends, he discovers many of them in uncomfortable and bizarre situations: swallowed whole, stranded on a mid-air island, shrunk, fused into stone, fallen off a bottomless cliff ... that is, his friends have found trouble that only a wizard could find.
Worse, during his attempts to rescue his friends, he finds that not all of his friends were as he remembered them. Some of them have gone bad.
In fact, many of them, for selfish reasons of their own, would rather see the Klebberked live.

I have some maps, walkabouts, and some battle graphics made.
Several game puzzles have materialized in my head.
I also have a bunch of music in various stages of completion.
Three songs are uploaded to the Castle Parradox site.
I suggest you check out "The Stalking of the Klebberked Monster" and "Battle-tarantula tarantella". My friends tend to like those ones.

I don't know how to upload a large image... but here's some shots.

I'm always open to suggestions!
Currently, I'm brainstorming wizard characters, and the trouble they can find - but any other kind of suggestion is welcome too :-)
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those screenshots have a lot of similarity to Shifter, that game I always hoped you'd finish (or at least make a complete demo of). I like the premise.

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first screen looks straight out of The Lorax.
Bagne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pepsi ranger:

Haha - yeah, a lot of it is straight out of Shifter -
I'm surprised you remember, I posted that demo maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and the demo didn't get very far.
Anyways, you might consider this an attempt at the completion of Shifter.
Many/most of the ideas originally destined for Shifter will be in this game (including the Klebberked Monster).

The plot is completely different though:
I liked that a character who was newly created would be naturally prone to exploring existential philosophy... but as a main character, he's very difficult to motivate to do anything. I really struggled to give him an objective, and let the player know what to do...
I hope to include a similar character in Saminaster&Sorcery, but he won't be the central motivation of the storyline.

Yeah, I was struggling to even introduce Shifter's premise - the demo never got that far. The idea was that a Shifter was like someone in the Matrix - they could easily observe andbend the rules of reality. Moris/Chichou/"The Red Armless Guy" was going to become the ultimate Shifter because he lacked an infancy, and so he was not overly accustomed to the peculiarities of reality.
Really, I just wanted an excuse for magic, and finally I decided that it would be most effective not to explain it at all and just use wizards.

I like the new story. It has a clear motivation, it's much easier to shape into quests, villains, and puzzles, and there's expansive room for character development. I personally find the latter to be the most important in my enjoyment of an RPG.
Oh - I also don't need to re-hash the "you are the chosen one" plotline which I was going to use in Shifter. I don't like it. Videogames have beaten it to death.

I re-did a lot of Shifter's pixely graphics: I decided to throw out the airbrush. Instead, I tried working with smooth, 2-3 shade patterns, and it looks substantially better I think (maybe you disagree?).

I need to rework a lot of the Shifter music too. The jump from BAM to MIDI broke a lot of them, or they sound harsher or quieter. I'm re-composing a number of them for MIDI instruments, while also revising some of the harmonies, and completing others.

I remember that you edited Shifter and explored some other maps... did you ever go to the Troll-bunny farm, or did it exist in that version? I may have overwritten many of the farm text boxes.
I liked that farm - there was 4 or 5 minigames that I liked.
I'm including that farm for sure.

Also, are you still doing reviews? I remember that I was super-pumped about my game being reviewed. It was very motivating and encouraging. If you find a demo that you like and want to motivate the author, write a review. It works.

@ Baconlabs: Yeah the Lorax, or super mario. Doesn't Mario have colourful forests and tall cliffs?
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Haha - yeah, a lot of it is straight out of Shifter -
I'm surprised you remember, I posted that demo maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and the demo didn't get very far.
Anyways, you might consider this an attempt at the completion of Shifter.
Many/most of the ideas originally destined for Shifter will be in this game (including the Klebberked Monster).

Yeah, there are two incomplete demos that I loved the premise behind, and the artwork, but neither went anywhere, and I've been genuinely disappointed as a result. The original game Moris Shifter was one of them. The other was from a game designer that dropped a flaming bag of...roses...on our doorstep and ran away. That game was Cabbage Acres. I remember Shifter above all the others mainly for its unusual art design, but also for its strong antinewbie dialogue. The combination kinda left me interested in the story as a side effect.

Quote:
The plot is completely different though:
I liked that a character who was newly created would be naturally prone to exploring existential philosophy... but as a main character, he's very difficult to motivate to do anything. I really struggled to give him an objective, and let the player know what to do...
I hope to include a similar character in Saminaster&Sorcery, but he won't be the central motivation of the storyline.

I can understand having an issue with this. Personally, I think newly created is a perfect motivation for exploring the world, since that's what all newborns, infants, and toddlers want to do. They don't need motivation because their hearts are yet inclined to understand motivation. They just go because they see something they don't recognize and want to know what it is. Then they try to eat it.

In that respect, I think the way to solve the dilemma is for Moris to "see" his objective and to do whatever it takes to find out what picqued his curiosity. The trick then is to paint a world full of interesting characters to keep the story moving while the main character pursues his next shiny object.

In the end, it might feel shallow. But it can be done effectively.

But I digress. You're not making that game anymore, and because you're using the same world, I have no complaint against that. The game world was what I wanted to see more of.

However, I think it would be nice for the wizard to visit Moris's creation chamber, just so we have that link to the past (and so I have closure about that game:)).

Quote:
Really, I just wanted an excuse for magic, and finally I decided that it would be most effective not to explain it at all and just use wizards.

And that's why we allow time for revision. So smart decisions can be made.

Quote:
Oh - I also don't need to re-hash the "you are the chosen one" plotline which I was going to use in Shifter. I don't like it. Videogames have beaten it to death.

Honestly, I would've been happy with a pure adventurer, like Bob the Hamster. I don't need "chosen one" archetypes to enjoy a game. Well stated.

Quote:
I re-did a lot of Shifter's pixely graphics: I decided to throw out the airbrush. Instead, I tried working with smooth, 2-3 shade patterns, and it looks substantially better I think (maybe you disagree?).

No, I like the screens you posted. I'm not picky when it comes to pixel art. As long as I know what you're drawing and as long as it doesn't burn my eyes, then I'm okay with it. I'm a scenery detail freak, not a pixel detail freak. I grew up on the Atari 2600, after all. And I had a lot of fun with those games.

Quote:
I need to rework a lot of the Shifter music too. The jump from BAM to MIDI broke a lot of them, or they sound harsher or quieter. I'm re-composing a number of them for MIDI instruments, while also revising some of the harmonies, and completing others.

Something I've considered/experimented with is the notion of using midi's for stage areas and OGGs for boss battles. What I came up with is using OGGs for all bookend areas (beginning stages and endgame stages) and major story-based battles, and midi's for everything else. I think this adds to the power of a story if you handle it right. If you know how to compose MP3s or OGGs, it might be worth giving that style a try. You can see the difference in that demo of Powerstick Man: XE I posted in "A Limited Engagement."

Quote:
I remember that you edited Shifter and explored some other maps... did you ever go to the Troll-bunny farm, or did it exist in that version? I may have overwritten many of the farm text boxes.
I liked that farm - there was 4 or 5 minigames that I liked.
I'm including that farm for sure.

Absolutely. That was my favorite area. In fact, I think I mentioned that in the review. I still remember the farmer "twang" in the little kid's accent when he talked about the troll bunnies. I think that was what convinced me that the dialogue was superior to the majority of OHR games available at the time (this was, of course, before the OHR House games, which I think hold the torch for best dialogue at the moment). But yeah, I'm glad the Troll-bunny Farm is coming back. That was a great area.

Quote:
Also, are you still doing reviews? I remember that I was super-pumped about my game being reviewed. It was very motivating and encouraging. If you find a demo that you like and want to motivate the author, write a review. It works.

Yes, I'm still doing it, though I'm on break until February. I agree that it motivates the author if it's written with the author's growth in mind. Some reviews, of course, are written just to scold the author over his abomination, and I don't particularly like those (even if they do give me a dirty laugh if the game is truly ridiculous--I just feel bad about it afterward).

I think my greatest disappointment as a reviewer is in having to beg for a review of my own games just to receive feedback. I can't get over how many days, months, or years pass without some kind of external mention. It feels like I'm giving and everyone else takes, and there's no give back. That's draining. Thankfully, Surlaw was nice enough to give me a Tightfloss Maiden review right out the gate (which I asked for specifically). Just having the ability to re-read it whenever I need an idea for improvement, or motivation to add to it--that's helpful far beyond silence.

I think the moral of the story is that sometimes you have to assume that no one knows about your game unless you ask them to review it. I'm sure they do know about it, but they may not think to say anything about it until you ask. And even then you're gonna get about 80% cold shoulders. So the one or two who do choose to review your game or speak up about it, thank God that they found the time. It'll help you make the game better that much faster.

Tightfloss Maiden

Bagne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that maybe a Moris type character could have been created by one of Saminaster's friends over the past 20 years.

It could be the red dude with antennae, or it could be bizarre ghoulish skeleton.

I like the idea of a ghoulish skeleton that is less interested in eating you, and more interested in exploring, and discussing ideas of philosophy and existence.
Then again, Moris is cute, stylistically consistent, and the character has played an important role in my game making history.
Well, whatever. I intend that he joins the party.

Yeah, the reason I'm posting all this is...
If I ever get any initial gameplay off the ground, I might start looking for like minded people to work with. I'm apprehensive about the idea, because I really like having total creative control, but I suspect that I won't get anything done otherwise.

I have many projects on the go, and I wouldn't be surprised if I rush into a music or comic book jag the next month.
Bagne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'll keep game reviewing in mind.

Currently however, it's just a matter of available time. I have none.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: