Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Current and Future Projects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Arts
Manipulating himself since the beginning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the moment I need to finish my Junior year in high school before I resume my untitle Kingdom Hearts fan game That I started last year. This time( FOR REAL) I will try to make it with more effort.
Nathan Karr
Zealot

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been seriously slacking off on my OHRRPGCE projects since I finished Wolf's Quest.

When I announced my intentions of making an FF1 remake, Fenrir told me that it would probably be better to do it as an FF3 remake, which leads me to beleive that he misunderstood what I was talking about regarding my class system. Every so often, I erase my Wolf's Quest 2/FF1 and start again from scratch. But, at least, I have my characters planned out:
Wolf(the hero from the last game): Howl command; Onion Kid, Summoner, Fighter, Red Mage, White Mage
Boomer(the Prince of Elf Land; I totally got to this idea before I read it in 8-bit Theatre): Jump command; Onion Kid, Summoner, Fighter, Thief, Black Belt
Blade(A money-loving cat that resembles Black Mage): Time Magic; Onion Kid, Summoner, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage
Ruby(the only female character; the only character not based on someone I know; I had no idea that there was another FF character named Ruby when I named her): Blue Magic; Onion Kid, Summoner, Thief, Red Mage, Black Mage
My reason for restricting characters to select classes like this was to force people to take either a ballanced party(containing a divers group of characters) or a lame party(containing one or more of Onion Kid or Summoner, the two worst classes in the whole series).

I have been working on countless other games besides, including a remake of the original Wolf's Quest, this time sticking to my original intent of not using copyrighted material.

However, my dad recently restricted my total game time to 1 hour a day, and if I don't use it or give it to someone else, it vanishes forever, like an MP not used before going to the inn.

-Casts AFIR-
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games based off people you know are always winners! The only thing that could make it better is forcing a "balanced party" on the player -- whoops, looks like you're already doing that.

Also, if they've already got Time Magic, Blue Magic, and Jump, then that kind of makes them Time Mages, Blue Mages, and Dragoons, respectively. And when you say "not using copyrighted material," you must not be including ideas, designs, etc. in your definition of material.

I'll agree with Fenrir: there is very little reason to remake FF1 again on the OHR. It's been done four times or so already, usually very proficiently. Here are some other options to consider:

- Do a remake of FF2, but with your custom job system instead of the bizarro experience system in that game.
- Do a remake of FF3 or FF5, which sport similar job systems to what you're proposing.
- Make your own game with your own storyline with your own classes and your own job system. (This is ideal!)
Zealot

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my FF game would be the SEQUEL to Wolf's Quest 1. My REMAKE of WQ1 doesn't have Vlad the Hamster, doesn't have Castle Paradox(called Paradaux in-game), doesn't use Kenshin's signature Reverse Blade Sword, and has a first-person view for the balle scenes.

As far as remaking FF2 or FF3, I only played about halfway through FF3 before I realized I was breaking the law and subsequently deleted it from my computer. FF2 came packaged with the copy of FF1 I got, but I dislike that game with fevered intensity. I could, possibly, buy the FF3 for the DS, but that would set me back $40 in addition to the $100+ I'd have to pay to get the DS itself. And, in regards to FF5, that actually doesn't sound half bad. I'll have to find a copy somewhere, though. And the money to buy it.

Well, since I'll never make the FF1 Wolf's Quest now, I'd might as well tell you what the hidden classes were going to be:
Wolf = Link(could use all swords, all shields, and White Magic as a Red Mage).
Boomer = Mega Man(could use all armor, and gained special attack from the 24 Robot Masters).
Blade = Tails(could use Tail Whip, and Black Magic as a Red Mage).
Ruby = Samus Aran(Could attack really well, like a Black Belt, and still wear armor).

I actually had most of this game planned out before I sarted work on the first version of Wolf's Quest any of you guys saw. But, since so many people seem to insist, I'll find another FF game to copy. Besides, thanks to that Blue Magic topic, I'll now have a much better way of handling Blue Magic(before I was using the Steal feature).

-Wishing everyone else the best of luck while casting -AFIR-, Ronin Catholic.
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan Karr wrote:
Actually, my FF game would be the SEQUEL to Wolf's Quest 1. My REMAKE of WQ1 doesn't have Vlad the Hamster, doesn't have Castle Paradox(called Paradaux in-game), doesn't use Kenshin's signature Reverse Blade Sword, and has a first-person view for the balle scenes.

You're talking like you're correcting him. No one said anything about this ever.

Nathan_Karr wrote:
I only played about halfway through FF3 before I realized I was breaking the law and subsequently deleted it from my computer. FF2 came packaged with the copy of FF1 I got, but I dislike that game with fevered intensity. I could, possibly, buy the FF3 for the DS, but that would set me back $40 in addition to the $100+ I'd have to pay to get the DS itself. And, in regards to FF5, that actually doesn't sound half bad. I'll have to find a copy somewhere, though. And the money to buy it.

Honestly, I'd consider plagiarism a more severe crime than downloading ROMs. If it's so much trouble legally acquiring a source to study and steal from, why not make an original game?

Nathan_Karr wrote:
could use...Black Magic as a Red Mage

Something about this sentence implies a misunderstanding of the concept of a Red Mage.

Nathan_Karr wrote:
But, since so many people seem to insist, I'll find another FF game to copy.

First of all, don't do it because we said so. That's just spineless and pathetic. Do things to make your game better, whatever you think that'll be. You should be making a game for you, not for us. Honestly, we don't actually care. Second, there's more insistence that you not bother copying an FF at all, only more specifically that you don't copy FF1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan Karr wrote:
But, since so many people seem to insist

Hey, I'm so many people!

Nathan Karr wrote:
I'll find another FF game to copy.

Wait, maybe not. I wasn't insisting on this at all.
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too excited. I am just tinkering a this point, and this code is still *far* from being releaseable
J.A.R.S.
In umbram deo, ex nihilo...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I entitled to ask what that engine is without looking like a total idiot?

(God I wish the language I use was THAT simple... but eh, no, its not)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.A.R.S. wrote:
Am I entitled to ask what that engine is without looking like a total idiot?

Certainly!

The digging sidescroller I'm working on is written in Python, using a library called motherhamster which 'Brian Fisher' has been developing. Eventually, when fully mature, motherhamster will be a framework for making specific types of game-engines. Right now the editor features are quite rudimentary. It will probably be a long time before this is ready to be released, but when I do release it, I will release it with source code.
pharo212

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new, so I'm just doing a simple rpg to test out the OHR.
Its called Penguin's quest, and other than starring penguins and having 8-bit (or lower, if thats even possible) graphics, I can't really say much, because I don't really know much else.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you don't really know what 8-bit graphics are.

But don't worry about it, when it becomes important we'll correct your nomenclature.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
pharo212

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean there will be no shading or outlines. Thats close to the only example of 8-bit I know, FF1.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean there will be no shading or outlines. Thats close to the only example of 8-bit I know, FF1.
That's the style of 8-bit Final Fantasy RPGs, but that isn't 8-bit in general.

(I note that Battletoads has both shading and outlines for its sprites)

8-bit games are basically video games that ran on systems that had an 8-bit processor. To be NES specific, I believe the NES had a global palette of 256 colors to choose from (I don't think the colors from it could be changed either), in order to create 2-bit palettes for 8x8 sprites (most 8x8 sprites are attached together to create larger sprites). NES sprites had three colors and one transparency. Final Fantasy's "outline" was just transparency with a completely black background to fill it in.

Basically, if people want to imitate FF1-3 so badly, I won't accept anything other than black backgrounds with transparency used for the outlines as genuine, because that's how FF1 was done. If they want to have backgrounds, they'll have to get creative with 8x8 block palettes to squeeze more colors into it.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
pharo212

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I admit defeat. anyway, the graphics will be simple. attacks, walkabouts, and here graphics will have no shading, although the chef's hat and knights armor will use two colors for some detail, although FF1's fighter had that. (I did slip up once, the feet have outlines)

Last edited by pharo212 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point is, if you are going to say you're going to make FF1 style graphics, you need to not make it an excuse to be lazy. Squaresoft wasn't lazy with FF3j when they made their sprites.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: