Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A noob union
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Septimus
Warrior wizard garuda dwarf-chopping ocelot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: A noob union Reply with quote

I can see that new users are concerned about hostility. Hell, when i signed up a month ago I was concerned, and the wise Aetheral does mention that new users just get Disdain and sarcasm for their efforts.
How about choosing someone responsible to regulate's better "rights" for new users.
Like all other threads i make, i have no idea how/if this will work, and who will do it, etc.
I dunno it's a thought, even if it's a load of crap in the end, Im sure people will feel safer just knowing that it (the union) is there.
Also it sounds kinda cool, and makes CP seem (even) more sophisticated and developed.
Adios
Joe Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, lets set up concentration camps instead. They're much cheaper to maintain, and you can make stuff with their skin and bones.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Kenji Murasame
Shizuma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathcamp motion seconded.
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, give him a break. What he's saying is right, just a poor execution of the idea thats all (and might not even be relevent). Less disdain and sarcasm would be a good thing. But a n00bz0r union? Why should we reward, or protect noobishness?
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, the fact of the matter is that if people are going to be stupid, then they're going to be disdained, and it's a touch idealistic to think that people are going to stop being stupid or disdainful. All you can really hope for is that people will do their best and things won't be too awful.

And they aren't, really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A newb union? Like a group where compassionate people can help newbies become more successful and fit in with the more productive members of our commune? That could be an interesting development.

I agree with Unc. I have picked up quite a few things in over a year of being "part" of the CP/OHR community, and it was not a smooth or even a straight path. In fact, I believe a lot of people still label me as a newb. I consider myself handy in this area. Granted, I still have much more to learn.

My best advice is to stick around, practice etiquette, observe others more often, don't take things too seriously, know you (strengths, weaknesses, etc.), know that no one can make a person anything by labeling them, and one might even consider KEEPING to themselves some times. Stick through things. Only the strong (persistent) survive..

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kenji Murasame
Shizuma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a newbie and then there's a n00b. Okay.. it's pretty simple:
anybody from any kind of community with some parameters knows how not to act like a moron, if they are new to OHR; they should be able to come right on here and be fine. If their work isn't taken seriously; well damn, there's nothing that should force us to, If they are good they will eventually be taken seriously.

However.. There are people with no experience in communities, or no skills with the OHR; they make all the typical mistakes, like making their first post asking somebody to make half their game for them, etc. There's nothing else to do but tell that person what they are doing wrong! If you don't.. then they will just keep doing THE SAME THING.

Asking people to just put up with n00bs (or if you are forced to); The community won't become more sophisticated, it will become LESS. Thus the idea of newbs having rights or prviliages is false. Newbs should be subject to critizism, to the maximum extend of the jam! >Sad...
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disdain is a necessary evil.
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been lots of "newbies" who have dodged the disdain and sarcasm by making a GOOD GAME (example, Crescent Dreams). If you want respect, show a little more pizzazz.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Septimus
Warrior wizard garuda dwarf-chopping ocelot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay okay, ive warmed to the concentration camp idea Razz
JSH357

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start out by not classifying yourself as a newbie.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of problems we've had in the past, this would not be a good idea, although it seems to have good intentions.

Other than that, I can't believe what I'm hearing from a few of you. You make it sound like we should treat people badly just because we're not patient enough to listen to some of the things they say, even if it is annoying at times.

If noobs are going to be subject to disdain, then so should the rest of us.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Fernurion
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setu is right. Quite often this forum is elitist and, as i'm sure you've all noticed, newbies are being harrased when they ask a question that may be obvious to us. Yes, some of them act stupid and such, but lately i've noticed the veterans arn't acting much better. The only time a newbie does not get greated with disdain is when their first post contains something ike "Download my new game", and has correct grammar and spelling. While I don't suppport a newbie union, a place where newbies can see the way things work would be beneficial. Maybe post up a help page, alongside the rules and etiquitte page. At least this will make it absolutly clear to people what is and isn't acceptable. It woudn't hurt for the oldbies to read this as well, as they are often quick to flame.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh god, not the veteran vs newbies shit again.
that is the dumbest conversation EVAR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: