Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Revive paradox lounge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the paradox longe board be re-opend?
Hell Yeah!!!
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Stop being stupid
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 19

Fernurion
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Revive paradox lounge Reply with quote

I know this has been said before, but why not re-open the paradox lounge. boards such as general discussion are littered with joke threads, which become annoying in the wrong place. What members need is a place to freely vent their stupidity. Otherwise people, especialy newbies, get the impression that we are a stuck up elitist bunch.

i'm not saying what went on in there before was good. Nobody likes being flamed or seeing arguments over stupid things. as such all old content should beremoved and the board start a-fresh.. provided everone uses their common sence and follows the board rules, there shouldn't be a problem. i think we've leaned our lesson. peole who breakthe rules should be blocked from posting, if thats possible here.
JSH357

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i'm not saying what went on in there before was good. Nobody likes being flamed or seeing arguments over stupid things.

We've had just as many (if not more) flamewars since the closing of PL.

I do think it should be reopened, but if you want general discussion, there's always cp-games and IRC.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Renzokuken.
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can tell you here and now that Paradox Lounge will never be opened again, or any "no topic" discussion board will ever be made.

After all, this is the internet. Plain and simple, if you want general discussion there are other boards out there on the internet you and anyone else on CP can be a part of. If you have friends on CP, just invite them to that board. The internet is the same for everyone using it, so it's not like you're inviting them to your house and they happen to live across the country.

If you have stupidity to vent then you shouldn't be here. Just do it somewhere else >.<
RPGCreations
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP should reopen it because it was it's main bread and butter. All this site is, is about chat. You drove away your core audience by closing it.

If you're not going to open it again, please at least delete it or take it off the main index, it's just taking up space.

-Fyre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're lucky, you might be inducted into Sigma Epsilon Chi...

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3021

(And Cube... stop gloating about how awesome FFXI is... Sad... I miss it immensely)
Camdog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really understood why it was closed in the first place. Flame wars? General stupidity? Who cares? Among the crap I remember several interesting conversations happening there, and it isn't as if the flames or crappy jokes actually hurt anything.

Besides, isn't the point of this site to create a community based around the OHR? By discouraging casual conversation, aren't we nothing more than a glorified "help me" message board?
Fernurion
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more thinking of a social standpoint. many members, such as myself, live in completely different timezones, thus making it very difficult to be in the IRC when anything interesting is happpening. reopening the paradox lounge board would mean people could get to know each other better, and to discuss the finer points of their work without being in front of their computers at 2am. for those of you who don't wantt o see the stupidity that will probably come with it, then don't look at it. besides, a little stupidity is good anyway. The board is, or was, a more appropriate place for posting such as OHRhouse announcments, newbie introductions and goodbyes, that sort of thing. I have noticed quite a few ruffled feathers because someone has introduced themselves and people think that it imply isn't appropriate mixed in with ohr discussions. I have also noticed that people genuinley asking for help are being flamed and accused of trolling. going back over old disussion on the board showed that if the same questions were asked there, people would, sometimes, help. The board was more than just a place to be stupid, it was the social backbone of the site.

I have said my peice.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Ok. My opinion on this issue has changed after that one.
Spelling and grammar issues aside, I side with what Fern is saying. The Lounge would be an excellent place to cage any stupidity or unusual announcements like birthdays or comings and goings... Pretty much everything Fern said in a nutshell, and I now totally agree.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright, now I'm inclined to post.

Reopening the General Discussion Forum is a BAD idea at this time. In fact, we were more likely to reopen it 6 months ago. Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but we've accumulated more than our fair share of forum trolls and people who, given the chance, would start a flamewar the likes of which haven't been seen since this community got off the ground. You thought Knoodle was bad? You've not seen ANYTHING yet.

Specifically there's at least a good half dozen people here who seem to have little else to do aside from joke around, insult other members, and NOT make games. Quite a few are so called "Vets", a few of which I'll be blunt and say that the community was better off without. Making games, or discussing game design is what Castle Paradox is about - not what you had for breakfast or what song from Linkin park is your favorite, and this site is certainly NOT about having a riot of a time making fun of a fellow community member's lack of social skills or whathaveyou.

The reason the general discussion forum is still kept is for one big reason - a record of the past. While originally a good forum, towards the end you can see what happens when we let people just go all out and make complete idiots of themselves - even "respectable veterans". If you want to keep up with other community members and just discuss whatever, then there are numerous usergroups with their own boards here that you can apply for, and just as many other OHR spinoff sites that HAVE General discussion.

Blackcats
OHRi
Renzokuken
CP-Games

We'd open up the forum of course if everyone agreed not to flame eachother and get along - but that's not going to happen. If the community as a whole can show you're a bunch of bright, reasonably mature individuals (instead of SA Forum rejects) then that'll make the decision to reopen the forum that much easier.

Good behaviour gets rewarded - that's the rule. Make it happen.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The announcements forum is the general discussion forum now until/if PL is reopened. I mean, no one posts in the OHR General forum, but everyone posts non-announcements in the Announcements forum. I no long read most of the threads.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to disagree, Fenrir. I think reopening the General Discussion forum would help to instill a sense of fellowship. Yes, there would be joking around. Yes, there might be some flamewars. But guess what? That's why you have that shiny sticker by your name that says "Moderator" or "Admin". That's not a friendship bracelet. A forum isn't a funeral home, and I don't see why you can't discuss things OTHER than game design. I mean, there's not even a forum you can go to discuss professional games that've been released, and ponder over them. Yes, there are other forums, but for the most part they don't have the sizable membership that this site has, and if you'll all look back, the main person behind the closing of the ParadoxLounge was ChaosNyte, and since you guys threw him out, why not do the opposite of what he did?

As for what Jazz said, that's true. There's general discussion in the Sigma Epsilon Chi group, but we're rather selective over who we let in. So, if you want general discussion, to hell with good behavior, be a fun bunch of guys, and we'll let you into Sigma Epsilon Chi.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
Good behaviour gets rewarded - that's the rule.

I see much more bad behavior punished around here. Maybe I'm missing something?
Komera

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
- even "respectable veterans".

there's no such thing as a respectable veteran. there are only those that fly off the handle, and those that manage to hold their tempers longer.

my two cents is that i really don't think that paradox lounge should be reopened (but i'm not one to talk, since it closed shortly after my battle with fyre). castle paradox should never have had non-topic discussion as any part of itself. that was like people going to e3 and then talking about everything EXCEPT games. i'm certainly no pureist (after all i do the monthly avatar contest, and that's got nothing to do with the ohr), but stupidity unrestrained hurts everyone, especially those who are me can't stand stupidity.

and for those who will undoubtedly counter with a chatroom example, there are topic-ed chatrooms that will ban you for straying off topic. i know. i used to be a moderator for an msn chatroom.

if people aren't given the chance to stray blatantly off any ohr topic, they won't. and castle paradox is about ohr, right?

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Fernurion
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
Allright, now I'm inclined to post.

You thought Knoodle was bad? You've not seen ANYTHING yet.

Normally I would agree with you. However aince the shakeup with CN not so long ago people seem to have become a bit more civil towards each other. Sure, you would get arguements, such as people going after Rinku for the Human day comp, and stupidity, like that the SIC members have plastered all over the site in the past few days. The main thing is that people would, on a whole, behave themselves. Members the likes of knoodle have long since departed, with only a few that are ruining it for everone else. Bots may pose a small problem, but they are easilly removed. If things do get out of hand, thats where moderators and admin come in. Really there is no harm in opening the board again, even on a temporary of trial basis.

Edit: just so you know, the aformentioned incident is refered to as a timeframe only. I have no opinion on that subject. sorry for any confusion. Oookay...

Last edited by Fernurion on Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: