Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Registering Usernames and Games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PIcaRDMPC

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir, yes sir! Ha ha ha!
But seriously, I have to agree. I've run into stuff like this at other boards for various things, and it's always extremely annoying, and no one likes an annoying person.
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...What did Logan do wrong? I'm sure that whatever it was, it was unintentional. He's just (he's going to kill me for this) an idiot newbie. If you'll tell me what he did, I'll talk to him about it and make sure it never happens again.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Registering Usernames and Games Reply with quote

As of recently, we've had to ban two people (Longetech and Loghecktech) because they have been registering multiple usernames (including those of OHRers who haven't registered here, such as PK-Fortis) and spamming the gamelist. This is definitely enough to warrant a ban, because spam eats up our bandwidth (despite the absurd amounts of it we have) and disk space (ditto). The moral of the story? If you want to be able to visit Castle Paradox, DON'T DO THIS. There's no point, anyway, unless you're trying to be an ass.

Last edited by Aethereal on Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LINK, DID YOU EVEN READ AETH'S MESSAGE?
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link of Hyrule wrote:
...What did Logan do wrong? I'm sure that whatever it was, it was unintentional. He's just (he's going to kill me for this) an idiot newbie. If you'll tell me what he did, I'll talk to him about it and make sure it never happens again.

What he specifically did was put his game 4 times on the game list, and then CN PMed him about it and told him to never do it again. The next day, he put his game on the gamelist three times completely ignoring what CN had told him. We banned him while he was in the process of adding yet another entry...

Anyhow, that's what he did.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that updating a currently existing game on the game list has the added side-effect of putting that game at the top of the "new games" list. Coincidentally, I've seen more than one game get "double" posted, so it's not a phenomena reserved entirely to posting messages. I recall a situation similar to that when I went to upload one of my games over a 56K connection, and I recieved the "gateway timeout" error message. If the game was posted several times, it MIGHT have been because this "Logan" kept hitting refresh or F5. Finally, there's been so many server problems all over the community recently (but suspiciously not on Septa or OHR Otaku's forums) that it's hard to tell what's REALLY going on. Tech support sure as hell didn't.

Then again, if these reasons seem foolish, or don't hold very much water, then that's probably because they're not the case. Saying "GAH! NOOB!!" and banning someone because of their past offenses are two different things. You'd also have to remember that the rules of this board pretty much operate on a "common sense" principle, a quality many people in the world these days seem to lack. Inevitably, we're bound to get a few people who just "can't follow the rules", or complain that they weren't made clear enough.

As much as I love playing the devil's advocate, I also know when not to get involved in a losing battle. Spam's bad enough, but stealing other people's identities (as in the case of Longetech) is a criminal offense, if I remember correctly. In any case, what's done is done, and hopefully we won't see a repeat of this incident.

::Zips muzzle::
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about the multiple game uploads, nor was I around much yesterday during which Loghecktech was banned, but as the programmer of the game upload page, I know how easy it is to double post a game.

Although it seldom happens, we've seen it occur multiple times already. We don't ban users for dual posting. Why should we ban them for doing just that in the gamelist?

So he made 7 copies of his game on the gamelist en total...he e-mailed me because he was having problems uploading his game. I'm guessing he's on dial-up. His game is uploaded, it's 800 MB. That will take a few minutes to upload on a 56K. I'm guessing he started the upload, waited while, clicked the back button and tried it again. Every time he went back and pressed Submit, his game was added again. I don't have a check for games that have the same name **HINT**there's no need to reserve game names**HINT**

The other Admins probably didn't recieve e-mails asking for help with the gamelist, so they didn't know he was having trouble uploading his game. Logan wasn't spamming the gamelist. He's new, that's it.

Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His game is uploaded, it's 800 MB

OHMAHFUCKINGGOD.

You mean KB, right?
Loghecktech
OHR Master

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: I am very sorry. Reply with quote

I didn't mean to "spam" the game list. I didn't see a place to download my game, and I wanted people to enjoy my game. So I tried to to post it again. I didn't mean to offend anyone. And It must have been Longetech who tried to use pk fortis. I was not trying to make fun of Longtech's name with my name "LogHeckTech". I got that from my name, LOGan HECKmann, and added "tech" to the end of it.

p.s. Cube, Andrew (Link of Hyrule) didn't do anything, quit picking on him.
Loghecktech
OHR Master

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for telling everyone I was Innocent "Link of Hyrule".
Thanks "Inferior Minion" for unbanning me and explaining it to me.

By the way, I have a message board that I wish more people would come and sign up for.
The adress of the message board is: http://lhtech.proboards18.com/

Last edited by Loghecktech on Thu May 08, 2003 5:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
PIcaRDMPC

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'd have to say that IM has a very good point. I will inevitably end up running into the same kind of problem, considering my current connection. So I think we should give Loghecktech another chance for now, and see what happens.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, MCW, 800KB, I'm allowed a few typos here and there!!! Ha ha ha!
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Logan, Longetech registered these names. No one's accusing you of this.
Gaia Paladin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have learned your point-making abilities from CN..................................... Cool

...who learned them from Hitler!!!! Big grin

[CNN would like to note that nobody pays attention to any of these at all] --- Thank you for watching CNN
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: I am very sorry. Reply with quote

Loghecktech wrote:
p.s. Cube, Andrew (Link of Hyrule) didn't do anything, quit picking on him.

I wasn't picking on him. I was stating facts.

Seriously, some people on these boards need to stop and actually read what I say. Stop taking EVERYTHING I say in the worst possible way, because I never intend to bug anyone unless they deserve it (Which is veryrare, since most people don't act like retards around here).

Last edited by Cube on Wed May 14, 2003 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: