Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Zantetsuken. How in the hell?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: 3 screenshots from Bastard.GUNS, lookin' for opinions Reply with quote

"Bastard.GUNS" is the name of the game. The period in the title is in honor of the great Commando clone Gun.Smoke. The period in that title was to avoid copyright infringements with the tv show of the same name. Copy and paste into our browser if you'd like to see the shots.

http://hermenedildo.tripod.com/cgi-bin/Screenshot1.jpg
http://hermenedildo.tripod.com/cgi-bin/Screenshot2.jpg
http://hermenedildo.tripod.com/cgi-bin/Screenshot3.jpg

I'll have character design sketches up when I can get to a scanner.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving the general outline of all the screens, but they all seem a bit empty in terms of unique tiles, like varations on the cracked ground tile, yellowed tufts of grass, rocks, etc.

However, the background with the mesas is very cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zetes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those are impressive graphics all and all. I wish I could draw like that.
Royal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that you tried to use perspective with the tiles, it works out ok I guess but try to loosen up that pattern you got going on (seams).
Also try to use more color variety, you got 256 colors don't just use brown it makes the tiles a bit boring to look at.
Keep it up! Big grin
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graphics look pretty good, but...well, everyone already said stuff I would have said ^_^. Also, this is a little off topic, but the battle system looks very interesting as well...I am looking forward to this one. Raspberry!

Last edited by Aethereal on Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general look I'm trying for is loneliness, the look is heavily inspired by Sergio Leone (Good the Bad and the Ugly) and Mad Max landscapes. What I'm getting is that I need more variety here. I think that this is a good suggestion (And I'd be totally retarded not to take Royal's maptile advice). I may just use a custom pallete to get more liveliness into the reds and browns (Which I'll proll'y be using a lot of). What you see of the field drawing is for a brief movie scene, the playable areas will mostly be from a traditional top down perspective, as I don't want the player to think the hero is growing to hundreds of feet tall as he walks into the landscape. The emptiness is kind of a necessity, but I think I'll add in one of those haunted looking leafless trees, maybe some tumbleweeds. At one point I was trying to make the ground look like the wind was blowing dust across it, but I realized that by the time I finished that, I'd have lost interest in the rest of the game.

Seth
Hardcore Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, My mum did the makeup in Mad Max.

I did like the sreenshots. It really does look like Broken Hill where Mad Max is filmed. (in australia, where I'm from)
James Paige

Embattled Productions Home
zetes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is rolling stone Gilbert?
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your mom did the make up for Mad Max, then that means she's a film making goddess in my book. The blood coming out of Max's sleeve while he killed Johnny the Boy was a brilliant touch, and I really felt myself believing the scene where Max gets his knee blown away. Besides that, anyone involved in bringing Max to the screen is in my "Good People of the World" book.

Komera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it supposed to be a desert-ish place at night? Sunset?

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Permanent sunset over a never ending desert.

Komera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offhand I'd say the sky's just a wee bit dark for sunset... but it's a screenshot and with my luck the sky's actually a bit lighter during actual play.

Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's way inaccurate for a real sunset (as I've discovered from taking video and photographs of sunsets lately), but it's the way the sky always looks in the place where this game takes place. I created a fictional world so that it's natural laws fit with what I think makes for attractive landscapes (at least as far as the OHR will go with my abilities, I don't think I could outdo mother nature in what I consider a beautiful art form (And I don't give a damn what the philosophical definition of art is, if you can't appreciate beauty for the sake of beauty, there ain't no hope for ya)). Do you want to know what was sadly the biggest inspiration to the sky? The opening credits of the Nickelodeon show "Hey Dude". It's a long story actually, but after a trying experience when I was 9 or so, I turned on the tv and saw the otherworldy landscape photography all red and black in the opening, and I realized that a kids show had captured possibly the loneliest piece of dirt ever caught on film (Yippie ki yi yay, sing it again, like the cowboys say). Thus started my understanding of the heart of the western story. It's not about cowboys and injuns or hillbilles with sixguns, it's about loneliness. That's why, and people say I'm nuts for this, I think Taxi Driver is the best western ever. Well I've rambled on long enough.

P.S. I was surprised to see only one minor criticism from Komera. I saw your name by the topic and actually got nervous that you would rip the bitmaps apart, burn them, and peepee on the ashes. But then, the biggest flaws have already been pointed out so..

Komera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the reason I'm currently refraining from ripping appart your effort is simply because it is so small that I really can't see it well. And as you point out... rather useless to point out things that have already been pointed out.

I've seen "Hey, Dude"... it was taped near Tucson. I've been to the minature golf course featured in one episode (though I didn't play golf when I was there). My sister used to live in Tucson and during one visit, my sister, her boyfriend of the time, her boyfriend's younger sister, and I went to the place and raced the water-bumber boats.

I was going to congratulate you for not including saguaro in your game (it's a pet peeve of mine that no one seems to get saguaro right in games), but that was more or less covered in the Australian congratulation. It looked to me much like the northern parts of the Navajo reservation, except somewhat of a different color.

But no, my biggest complaint about your pics was the sky, and I wanted to know what it was supposed to be first. You've included that it doesn't follow Earth rules, so that pretty much eliminates the only thing big enough for me to complain about.

Misteroo
Castle Guard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks neat. The desert walls are great. There are only a few things I'd recommend to improve on it. One is to add a few more features to the terrain, two is to perhaps shade the cliffs (they seem to stick out a little compared to the background) and three would be to add some features to the sky. Perhaps a few very dark colors could give it a stronger feel--or perhaps a few distant stars could do the job. Even very dark gray could improve it a bit--leaving things as one color isn't always a very good approach. Keep it up, though--it seems like you've got something here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: