Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Why do you use OHR?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Why do you use OHR? Reply with quote

There are clearly a lot of users at Castle Paradox, and evidentally, you don't join this place for the conversations on the boards. If you do, then that's kinda sad. Anyways, odds are if you are a member of this community you have used OHR before. So... Why exactly do you use it? Easy? Hard? What?
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why exactly do you use it? Easy? Hard? What?

Uhh... I'm not quite sure how that series of questions is supposed to make sense.

But, as for the first one, I mostly just use it cause I enjoy it. I get ideas sometimes and it's nice to be able to make them work, even if an overwhelming majority of the time they end up not going anywhere. Been trying to fix that though.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said "Easy, Hard" I was referring to people considering using the OHR easy, or if it's hard and they like the challenge.

I personally use the OHR to expand my creativity. It's a very fun and inexpensive hobby as well.
Machu
Righter, a person who rights wrongs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very basic engine that's easy to learn and use. It's great for people still in school who want some casual experience making games. I've been dabbling a bit in Game Maker, but I'm glad I started with the OHRRPGCE. Besides learning, it also has good feedback/understandable community. The limitations make games easy to compare and review, thus we have a reasonable standard to meet.
[*]Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This engine was the first one I ever tried. I have tried SOME others like RPG maker and even a little Sphere too. However, those are not as friendly to me as this engine is, so here I be. There's an engine for everyone it seems.
It is also very fun and relatively easy to create with the OHRRPGCE. I especially enjoy the way it lets you do your own graphics and how that and everything is organized. Even plot scripting is fun when one knows what they are doing. All in all, I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn yet. But that's what is exciting. Razz

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use OHR so that I can see if I can please other people with my efforts. Plus I always love playing through a game which I made and see everything working out. So I guess I also do it to make the best thing I can, triumphing over my previous efforts...
JSH357

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the OHR cause chicks dig OHR users.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..i use OHR because it's one of those rare game (specifically rpg)makers that has low (very low) system requirements.i currently use a Pentium 166 Mhz,and hopefully gonna buy a Celeron 700 Mhz this coming Christmas..but still,im gonna use the OHR because it's the first maker i have ever tried..and the OHR Community is so far the most friendy Developer Community i know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Leonhart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
..i use OHR because it's one of those rare game (specifically rpg)makers that has low (very low) system requirements.i currently use a Pentium 166 Mhz,and hopefully gonna buy a Celeron 700 Mhz this coming Christmas..but still,im gonna use the OHR because it's the first maker i have ever tried..and the OHR Community is so far the most friendy Developer Community i know.

Low system requirements, friendly developer community,
check, check.

Quote:
It is also very fun and relatively easy to create with the OHRRPGCE. I especially enjoy the way it lets you do your own graphics and how that and everything is organized. Even plot scripting is fun when one knows what they are doing. All in all, I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn yet. But that's what is exciting.

OHR is an engine that you can easily master.
Some game makers have so many mumbo jumbo that you easily lose interest to them.
I tried RPG Toolkit a year ago. But, the RPGCode (plotscript, I think)
was so hard to master. But, when I found OHR......

Quote:
I use the OHR cause chicks dig OHR users.

Yeah, man!
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked around for many others after I started getting tired of OHR's limitations, but in the end, it grew on me to the point where it's the only game engine that I know how to use that doesn't take away from your creative freedom and doesn't create big-freaking games that take up a good portion of your hard drive.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Hard as all heck Reply with quote

Coming from the RPG Maker place (PS), the OHRRPGCE is way difficult. This is actually mostly because of the graphics. What else makes it hard is seeing the standard of work being turned out and trying to match it. However, I think I did a good job with Verdimea for my first time making my own graphics. I've no place to go but up.

I like a challenge, and I probably will never give up the OHR. I tend to use my other makers. (RPG Maker 1 and 2(PS), zzt) to make some games that I see suitable for those systems.

The OHR is powerful, but as makers, we always want more.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OHR makes it relatively easy to make graphics, actually, but it makes you make your own. I'd be pretty tempted to rip graphics if it were standard fair to do so, but OHR forces you to develop your marketable skills.
Brunettes have more hair

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use OHR cause when people ask me about my hobbies I tell them I make vidio games and the look so shocked about it. Then I say it's easy and go into a long lecture about the simplicity of it all.
Eggie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it so I can fit in with this community, which I don't.
Ssalamanderr
Simply too strong. Simply too beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I use it cause it's easy to use. RPG Toolkit was just kind of irritating the way it handled graphics, and you pretty much had to script everything. I also like to see what I can do to make interesting battle systems without plotscripting (Dual weapons, crazy boss battles, etc).

Of course, I haven't actually used it in a while. I'm an enormous slacker. I mostly "use" the OHR so I can tell people I'm an amateur game designer.

Ukelele no good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: