Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Pixel Tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the fact remains that pillow-shaded objects have a much greater potential when shaded realistically
I've said this like four times already, it's not pillow shaded if it's shaded realistically.

The Yellow Devil just uses a really blurry attempt at shading. I don't find it pleasing, but it's not pillow shading.

Where are you people getting your definitions of pillow shading at?

EDIT: This is a good example of pillow shading.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
Quote:
But the fact remains that pillow-shaded objects have a much greater potential when shaded realistically
I've said this like four times already, it's not pillow shaded if it's shaded realistically.

I don't think any of us are actually saying this.

What I meant by my statement was that if you take an object that has been pillow-shaded and instead give it some proper lighting, you can improve it quite a bit.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound any different from ditching pillow shading entirely, which is what shading it properly does.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
Doesn't sound any different from ditching pillow shading entirely, which is what shading it properly does.

Because we're saying the same thing here.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means:
If an object is pillow shaded, it could look better if the shading were corrected.
So you are in fact in agreement. It's just a backwards case of "agree to disagree," where you seem to refuse to agree that you are in agreement. And by you I mean Newbie_Power.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that it's an agreement. The reason I'm saying that it's pretty much the same as removing pillow shading because there's no reason to pillow shade so in the first place, much less claim that it's a style (which actually offended me).

Actually, it's probably not the same, starting the shading over, maybe refining the lineart as well first, is most likely going to result in a better focus and direction one wants to go with.

Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
there's no reason to pillow shade so in the first place, much less claim that it's a style (which actually offended me).

My apologies on that, I kinda just blurted it out without knowing what "pillow shading" really is.
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my pixel art advice:

- Never use shading.
- Never draw anything to scale.
- Use only MSPaint's Basic 16 for the original drawing.
- Never use more than four colors per object.
- Gotta have blue hair.
- A cat is fine too.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Ravenshade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Catholic wrote:

- Never use shading.
- Gotta have blue hair.
- A cat is fine too.

LOL *ahem*

As a newbie to pixel art and believe me, when I say newbie, I mean that my grass tile has but one colour.

Thanks to OHRRPGCE, I'm learning to create pixel art to the constraints of 20x20... (my objects seem to be stretching over three or more tiles but oh what the heck). You should though endeavour to give a sense of realism to proportions. Just because your character is 20px high, doesn't mean that lamp post can't use up three tiles...put them on a different layer and voila simulated high.

I don't us MSPaint for the simple reason, I'm on Linux, nor would I wish to restrict myself to their colours. Both ugly and unreasonable, but sticking to sixteen colours is a great idea and everyone should try to keep that, even if only to challenge themselves.

I disagree strongly with only four colours per object, that can end up looking boring, what's the point of having sixteen colours if you can only use four. That being said, if I pick a colour as a n00b I currently choose a darker shade of the same colour to accompany it and if I really need to a lighter shade. I usually prefer to use between four and eight different colours for an object without coming to what I've learned to be pillow shading (thanks to this thread).

I second blue hair! Blue or Indigo!

I hope some of those opinions of what I've found out will help someone in a similar position Ha ha ha! (who am I kidding...)
Sh4d0ws

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that I tend to use several minute changes in shade, with several different shades on maptiles, to give them a more "Realistic" but less distracting look.

But with, characters, I usually use a large variety of brighter, and higher contrast colors, to help distinguish the walkabout from the maps, and to give it more personality.

I'd say I use about 4-8 colors on maptiles, but with characters ( Because there's so much more diversity between the different parts of a single person, I'd say ) I've sometimes used as much as twelve colors.

I guess all I'm trying to say is: It's important to take a look at the context, too, because no single rule ( Or set of rules ) can easily be applied to every part of pixel art.
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say that more colour is better for maptiles.
If you have many kinds of trees or doodads, each with a different hue, you can really enrich the look.
Heros and characters can benefit from having a single prominent colour (supplemented by other colours).

@Ravenshade
Dude - I'm right with you on the multi-tile objects.
Nobody wants a tree or house to be the same size as the hero. Any game that tries to do storytelling needs an immersive environment - and you can't give a map any personality or flavour with ultra-simple graphics.
Momoka
When it's ready...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any tutorials for the OHR specifically? I'm having a lot of trouble drawing walkabouts of people, and most tutorials are for different sprite sizes, and I mess up a lot when I try to convert.
J_Taylor
The Self-Proclaimed King of Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None yet, but I could probably make one for the NEXT next edition of the OHR mag.
Shattered Alliance: .05%

See a pattern forming? I do, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sheamkennedy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Catholic wrote:

- Never use shading.
- Gotta have blue hair.
- A cat is fine too.

I like this advice. I understand shading and such but I do like to keep my game art to minimal shading. Blue hair is always a must and limiting the colour pallette does result in some authentic looking games. Right now I'm experimenting with a huge range of pastel colours and hard mixed colours to produce a super psychedelic game but that's just me.
sheamkennedy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Catholic wrote:

- Never use shading.
- Gotta have blue hair.
- A cat is fine too.

I like this advice. I understand shading and such but I do like to keep my game art to minimal shading. Blue hair is always a must and limiting the colour pallette does result in some authentic looking games. Right now I'm experimenting with a huge range of pastel colours and hard mixed colours to produce a super psychedelic game but that's just me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: