Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What's missing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonbuggie
Graphics Designer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main difference between OHR games and professional games, graphics aside (since graphics are not what makes a truly good game), is definitely the in depth story and the setting of the game. As far as the story, it's a given that most games are not unique. I realized this in a recent post when I was told that a storyline i proposed was cliché...and...well...it was true. If there's one thing about professional games that I must say, its that they have dozens of people working on a single games (and even then they can't always get it right.). Nevertheless, as previously said, the stories in games made in the OHR communities are indeed more personal.

Even greater than a story, though, I think that the setting is also a major difference. When you play Zelda or Final Fantasy you get a sense that there is a world going on around you. There are townspeople with their own problems and lives, there are many houses garnished with random objects that one might find in a house, and there are many towns, each with a unique connotation to it...what I'm getting at is you feel like you're in a real town. In most OHR games, like someone before said, a town is simply a few townspeople, an inn, a shop, and that's it. Furthermore, a town is usually filled with straw houses and farmers. I haven't seen many cities with skyscrapers, etc. I understand that this doesn't fit into all stories, but it would be a nice change for a game where it does Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait until I get any version of Fairsdale done (healthy or flooded; I myself would love to see the latter). If all goes well, that will be one great city...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Maturity... Reply with quote

This is basically what is different between OHRRPGCE games and professional games.

1. Professional games are done by a TEAM of people, this is like a business more than it is a bunch of kids.

2. Pro games Teams are usually older, wizened people who know a lot about what a game is, why they're making it (which is to make money, not just doodle around, which means they take it way more seriously than the typical OHRer takes his/her project). Basically their games are their life, plus they know more about how things work, which leads to better planning and such.

3. More or less, maturity. I mean, right now the typical OHRer is a dreaming, aspiring RPG maker with a bunch of chezy ideas in his/her head but no clue as to what they are doing. Professional RPG makers probably don't give a fart, they just make games cause if they don't they dont eat.

Forgive my sloppy post, as I am drunk as hell.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one thing that makes a difference between professional games and OHRish games.

If not all, then most of you are kids ages 13-18 who would rather do something other than work on a game all day. Professional game makers NEED to work otherwise they will lose their job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: