Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Non-Linear or Story
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Non-Linear Games, Good, Bad, or Ugly
The Good
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
The Bad
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Rpeanut
Chop Chop

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Non-Linear or Story Reply with quote

Non-Linear or Story,

Does haveing a story make the game better, or make it worse???
(No story but having an objective... think Harvest Moon Style)

State your arguments, and I'll check back, in a month... or two.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends.
Non linear games are always my favorite. Super Metroid is my favorite game ever. Next is Castlevania Symphony of the Night, then Sonic and Knuckles+3, then Megaman 2.
(if you never played these games, then don't worry, they're just examples).
I hate stories in most games. I prefer the ones where stories are told through actions. Rocket Knight Adventures is a good example.
(Ironically, these games end up having the stories that most people talk about, because almost no questions are answered, and lots of controversial debates are made.)
Heh, every game I'm working on is non-linear, so I guess that would tell everyone something else.
Pictoyaya

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the game revolves around a story and not entirely a game, then you should maybe make a manga or a novel. A story isn't what made Castlevania for NES enjoyable ages ago, but it's challenge and level design.

I think non-linear stories are nicely told through actions, espcielly when a majority of the gameplay accomodates with the storyline. For example, using the Holy Glasses to save Richter in SOTN.
Taernost
The Bungling Idiot
Waku Waku 7 Champion

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; non-linear games give you a level of freedom that can add whole new layers of fun to a video game, especially in replays. But don't think that just because a game is non-linear means that it can't have a good storyline. Just look at the Zelda games. True, they're not entirely free-form, but you honestly can do most of the tasks in the game in almost any order, and still keep the excellent storyline. Then there are the MegaMan games, which are almost entirely non-linear, and still they managed to put in a storyline (true, most of that story was only in later games, but my point remains). So don't think that just because a game is story-driven means it cannot be non-linear; that might be true most of the time, but it doesn't have to be the case.
-DeLoco; fully supported by George W. Bush
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that nonlinear games are excellent, but a good story, and by that I mean more well-presented than good plot, can be a great thing to have. My dream, of course, is to integrate the two, creating a nonlinear story, where every action (and I mean EVERY action) changes the story in some way. Having a real-time system combined with this nonlinear linearity would make the ultimate story-based game.
Also, integrating gameplay with story is essential.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A non-linear game can be good, if it is made well. Just like with any kind of game. Being linear or nonlinear doesn't by definition make a game better or worse (at least, not to me), it depends on how well you make the game.

It also depends on what the game is like though. The atmosphere, gameplay aspects, and basic storyline can help determine whether it should be more or less linear. I mean, Harvest Moon would have sucked as a linear game. The gameplay wouldn't be compatible with it at all. Or, an urgent atmosphere might not lend itself well to a non-linear story. Like at the end of FF7, when Meteor is so close to Earth you can just wander around as much as you want and I was like "What the Hell?" It just didn't make any sense. So it just depends on what you want the game to be like, really.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to RPGs when you are talking about non-linear (which I assume you are, considering this is by majority an RPG making community), I'd like to comment that non-linear RPGs are difficult to get interested in. Why? Because RPGs are are one of the few games genras where story is almost as important as gameplay (contrary to platformers, such as Metroid or C:SOTN, both of which are awsome games). Because of this, it is very difficult to keep a player's interest through the hundreds of battles they'll be fighting if they don't even know if all this wandering is getting them anywhere.

An excellent example is Golden Sun vs Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Golden Sun was linear, and some-what story driven (the story was a bit...shallow, but it still was there). The story pointed you where to go. Lost Age, however, was horribly non-linear, and poorly designed at that. I had no idea where to go. Worst of all, you'd sometimes get 4/5 through a dungeon, and WHOOPS, did you not get that specific psyenergy? Too bad, all thats' been for a waste, now go and get it.

I haven't really played many other non-linear RPGs (or I just can't recall). The end of Chrono Trigger was pretty non-linear (that is, you could fight the final boss at any time) but it wasn't anything really special. Am I forgetting some non-linear RPGs? Someone refresh me... Oookay...
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story isn't important as Gameplay in RPGs. That's just the genre that most story based games use.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to comment that non-linear RPGs are difficult to get interested in. Why? Because RPGs are are one of the few games genras where story is almost as important as gameplay

That really depends on the person playing them. I, personally, don't think story is anywhere near as important as gameplay. Some others think story is more important than gameplay. For the latter group, you are right, it would probably be difficult to get them interested in a non-linear RPG.

Quote:
Am I forgetting some non-linear RPGs? Someone refresh me...

I think SaGa Frontier had a non-linear story. It sucked though, so I didn't play it long enough to learn much about the story. Also Azure Dreams was non-linear, and was pretty cool.

Oh, and Shadow mentioning CT reminded me of something important. If you have a non-linear story, please PLEASE have multiple endings. If you have a bunch of different ways through the game and you always end up with the exact same result it kinda defeats some of the purpose.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaGa Frontier! That's what I was thinking of! Geez, I feel so dumb.

As for non-story based rpgs...I haven't really found any that didn't have a story and were very interesting, though I'm sure there were probably one or two I can't remember (and someone will yell at me about Raspberry!) that I enjoyed that didn't have a story.

BUT the MAJORTY of modern RPGs tend to have SOME story to them. That was my point. Though a non-linear story is certainly a possibility (Stop^2 is, by a majority, non-linear), it is difficult to execute while also haveing an engrossing story, which is actually one of the main reasons I play RPGs. If I didn't want a story, I'd go play Tetris Attack (which I do play, a lot Raspberry!). The exception is, of course, a majority of MMORPGs, which have no story and are completely non-linear.

Quote:
If you have a non-linear story, please PLEASE have multiple endings. If you have a bunch of different ways through the game and you always end up with the exact same result it kinda defeats some of the purpose.

::Iblis

True, though I think the only applies if the ENTIRE game is non-linear. Almost all games have a "non-linear" side to them eventually (example: getting the large materia in FF7, or the entire World of Ruin in FF6), some larger then others (FF6 being a great example of this). Having one ending is, yes, annoying if you realize all your previous choices didn't really matter at the end, but it isn't really necessary. I could have a totally non-linear style gameplay (ex:Super Metroid) and it'll still have the same ending (ok ok, I KNOW there are different endings for different completion times, but you know what I mean. It doesn't matter whether you get the grappling hook or not, the end will still be the same.)
Machu
Righter, a person who rights wrongs

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shameless plug

I was going to make Language of the Mind an RPG that's both non-linear and with interesting story. How? A dang lot of possible storylines! Heck, I don't think storyline is the right term anymore; more like story web. Imagine making a walk-through for that!

Hmm... just read back and noticed that Me had a similar idea. Stop reading my mind! (or maybe my thread in the story board?)
[*]Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I came up with that a while ago on my own. However, it's nice to see that there are people who think like me . . . gives me more faith in future gaming devolopments.
Valiant Warrior
That guy over there...

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-Linear or Story?

You're treating these as though they're mutually exclusive, which isn't the case. You can have a game that isn't linear and has a story. Zelda (as mentioned before), but especially the farther back in time you go. (First Zelda, has a story, save the princess, but has no guidance for direction at all). Also look at FF3 for SNES (aka FF6) that has a definate story, it has a path, but you still have soooooo much freedom to move around.

Story? Mario has a story. Mario is linear. Mario may not have an in-depth story, but it exists "Kill bowser, save Princess". It goes by level by level, you have control in the level, but ultimately you are follwoing a designed path. Same with Sonic games. Newer versions of these have become more free movement, but the side-scrolling games are what I was referring to.

Most RPGers enjoy a good story and a good adventure. Make Gameplay numero uno, and include a story. If you want, make an interactive story.

ME and Machu: I've had ideas like that before, I don't think that uncommon, but just are rarely employed.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, NEVER call ff6j non-linear. By non-llinear we're talking about.. non-linear, ENTIRELY. Play Super Metroid, if you want an example.
DukeofDellot

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know... Megaman 2, Sonic and Knuckles+3, and Super Metriod are all linear. If your reffearing to story-based vs. gameplay-based maybe they lie in gameplay, but linear plainly means line like as in one story with one plot with one ending and one path to the ending.

I personally like both, but customizable 'non-linear' plots such those found as Kights of the Old Republic, and Mirrowwind. It really makes you feel like you're in the world that the gae takes place in, rather than games like Sonic (Even though he's cool, he goes against my current point) where you play the same exact levels in the same order every time you go through the game. Metriod also falls under the linear scheme, I think. (I've played the original and Super, and the sexual jokes about the game made me fade after that.)

Anyway, back on topic Like whats-his-name with the armydude avitar, I'm trying to make a story-based non-linear open ended game. At least I would think our ideas are basically the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: