Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Proper grammar, spelling and punctuation posts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like better grammar, spelling and punctuation in posts
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 16 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

Shineyest
What I say is what I am

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Proper grammar, spelling and punctuation posts Reply with quote

I know some of you have criticised my grammar, spelling and punctuation, but from now on I will be proper. One way to combat it could be an administrator sends a message to you if you used it badly. Then if after 3 logins it is not corrected you get a warning or something like that.
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Paradox isn't for grammar nazis (at least I don't think). People just like to understand what they're reading. It makes no sense to expect an answer to a question that's phrased in a way that is indecipherable.
Shineyest
What I say is what I am

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that would be a better idea to the one I suggested thanks.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago we had a word filter which would kill curse words and replace them. Perhaps it could be reinstated only to correct common misspellings such as "teh" with "the", etc.?
Shineyest
What I say is what I am

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the auto-correct on word it has thousands of them.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir, there are a few problems with that:

A. It can mess up any word(s) that might have the mis-spelling of a word in the middle of a word. The filter searches for all instances of the letters included, whether they're in the middle of a word or sitting alone, and replaces them. I had some common grammar/spelling things in the filter at one point and it messed up a lot of people's posts so I took them out.

B. It can mess you up if you *want* to say "teh" or something similar on purpose. Not that a lot of us would do that, but there are some people who do that.
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand why it hasn't been done already. Perhaps instead it would be possible to add a spell check feature for those who are too lazy to prewrite their post in MSword? I'd be guessing either it wouldn't be, or it'd be too difficult to do so and would direct the site's programmers attention away from the more important features.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain the logic in that statement to me, Fenrir.
halogrunt001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you like better grammar, spelling and punctuation in posts

Isn't this supposed to have a question mark at the end?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this even a poll? Everyone rational and sane should vote yes. Except for that guy...you know...THAT GUY...

TAT GUY: OMFG GAYME GAYME LETZ MAK A GAYME WILLU DU GRFX FuR MEE?
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:
Explain the logic in that statement to me, Fenrir.

Sigh...

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
I see.

As in the realization of something. Enlightenment. Discovery. Coming to an understanding.

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand why it hasn't been done already.

I did not understand previously why certain grammatical errors would not be automatically corrected through the use of the word filter. Aethereal explained the reason why quite clearly and in words most people should be able to understand - which is probably the best thing I like about his posts.

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
Perhaps instead it would be possible to add a spell check feature for those who are too lazy to prewrite their post in MSword?

Disasterlabs has a similar feature. At the click of a button, it will scan your post for common grammatical errors and automatically correct them, similar to the way that MSWord's spellcheck works. And most people when posting will NOT type it in MSWord or a similar program, thus explaining many errors in their typing.

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
I'd be guessing either it wouldn't be, or it'd be too difficult to do so and would direct the site's programmers attention away from the more important features.

This was adding to my previous comment of the feasability of adding a spell check, and then stating that it would either be impossible to add with the site's present programming, or would add yet another thing to the list that Inferior Minion, Cube, Aethereal, Chaos Nyte, Squall, and all the other admins have planned to add to Castle Paradox. Were it on the list of things to do, then surely it would detract them away from their current work. Like OHRweekly.

Really, this was one of the most concise posts I've made in the last two months. It got to the point, which is something I've had trouble with in the past. Sorry if you didn't completely understand it, I'm aware you're not a mind reader.

Next.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry, I misread your post. I thought you meant that it would be good because it would pull their attention away from important aspects.
Regardless of this, that sounded pretty rude.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I've been on edge. Long days of working, doing commissions non stop, and working on OHR games all at once. I probably need a vacation. Sorry to snap at you Wiz, you didn't deserve it.
Flamer
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't drop dead fen Raspberry!
everyone needs to rest once in a while (except workaholics, but that's different)

oh well, work is starting to affect... 3 months without working is too long for a holiday, i'm literally used to not doing work...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People should really be able to spell-check their own posts. And if we are willing to forgive the occasion error, its not really needed. Only the incredilely lazy are not prepared to spend an extra 5 seconds typing properly.

I agree with you Shadowiii... but this way, we get to see how many different members have read this thread Raspberry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: