Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Demon Castle Dracula arts and stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Demon Castle Dracula arts and stuff Reply with quote

(copied straight from LJ)

The outside of the Castle, again. Still wanting to know if Worthy is willing to make a scrolling moon in the BG. Also, there is Dracula in the BG standing at Lisa's grave. He flies off in a few seconds.

The inner hall of the castle. I'm probably going to double the size of the pillars, ditch the curtain on the left, and finally fix those windows. Also, there are peeping eyes and bats in the windows looking at you, yay.

More of the hall. Just showing that there are platforms.

Here's the painting I used.

This is the path to the underground waterway. If you haven't noticed yet, the castle entrance is somewhat of a remake of the CV1 entrance.

And this is the other side.

Here we have some stuffs in the Underground Waterway.

Here's some more. I'm working on fixing where the waterfalls onto the platforms.

Some more waterway stuff, where it finally opens up for you.

The Outer Wall, yay. Even comes with OMG spoiler of where the Axe is.

This is my.. poor map design skill. There will eventually be skull heads shooting fireballs at you.

PLEASE suggest for improvements on backgrounds!
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... Dejavou. This is sweet! It looks almost completely identicle to simon's quest for NES! I loved that game.

Anyway, as far as the classic NES style goes, you got it going on grafics wise. I noticed (With close up action) that the grafics are a little grainy, but that still turns out very smooth. Lights and darks are in the right place... The background is a little bland though. It must have taken a lot of work (the background) but it very boring. I know it is night. And you said it, you need a moon. One that follows where the hero goes so it is not glued to the background of course.

Other than the dark, boring places on the outside, the rest are fine. I see nothing wrong with them, but you MUST get a second opinion. From someone who isn't half asleep...

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look good but you need more variety. I like the color variations and everything though. With more variety mixed in with your unique coloring skills you will have yourself a fine pot of stew. And for some reason I think your Trailblazers review has rubbed off on you and made you make this game. Although it's just a guess.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHC wrote:

No, it really doesn't. You need to replay the game.

Oh, oops... It looks like a castlevania anyway. And I wish I could replay it. Playing this when it comes out may suffice though.

RMZ, are you accusing MCW of plagerism? Huh?

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pictoyaya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeRoy_Leo wrote:
RMZ, are you accusing MCW of plagerism? Huh?

I think Wiz made it because he was inspired by Castlevania, seeing it's his favorite game aswell as Super Metroid.

Wiz - Anyway, I posted comments in your LJ. ^_^
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh. I get that way. I am just being difficult. Sorry, everyone. Oookay...

---msw188 ---
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeRoy-That's just the first thought that I had when I saw the graphics and instantly knew what type of game this was gonna be. I don't know anything about it, just a big assumption.

Anyways, I haven't seen any gameplay or any character graphics but for now, without seeing that, it looks like Trailblazers with a twist. And the twist is the graphics.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff brings back fond memories of Faxanadu! Great mapwork, MCW.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture 1: Yes, put a moon, PLEASE. Or clouds and stars. That would be really creepy and awsome. A giant blood red moon would be OMFG SO KEWL. The picture needs it too, as it is quite bland thus far (thought the Dracula statue is nice)

Pictures 2, 3, 4 - The curtains need work. The windows are nice, but...small? I really liked it in Aria of Sorrow and Symphony of the NIght were the windows flapped and you coudl see in to other rooms/behind them. That was really really cool. Maybe you could have a large window or something?

The floor is boring too. The same tile over and over is ugly. Detail? Cracks?

The painting is nice, but obviously incomplete. You started detailing the gray wing but didn't finish it. The coat needs some improving. I CAN see the bloody tears, he he. Hey, that pic looks familiar...wait, its my avatar Raspberry!

What else...uh...the wall is quite repetative, as are the pillars. Doesn't dracula's castle have cracks or something? Also, there are no gothic statues. A neat touch would be to have gargoyles on the tops of the pilliars instead of them ending...as they are ending now.

Pictures 5, 6 - Er...that red tile is very conflicting with the gray. The fact that you just pallet swapped them is irratating, but acceptable. The background is nice, but still dull. It lacks that castlevania feel. Maybe some vines clinging up? Of course, there aren't any enemies, and that might dampen the effect, but still...(more goth statues! XD I love those Raspberry!) Maybe a few skeletons just lying there?

Pictures 7, 8 - I assume the waterfalls are animated (if not, its still ok). The fact that the water dropps and then...stops before going to the curved one is annoying. Thats only one or two more tilemaps, you might consider filling in the gap. Other then that, looks nice.

9, 10 - Um...just levels I guess. Noting exciting. Again, color swapped the same obnoxious gray brick.

Oh, I know what I didn't see that made it "un castlevania ee" - candles! Of course, these willb e NPCS so they obviously aren't there, duh. Heh, thats what was annoying me.

Overall, nice, but could use some more small details to make the maps looks more interesting. The details are what I really liked about castlevania games, so you should probably shove some in.

Keep up the good work.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the moon was my intention the whole time. Also, note that it will rain eventually.

Agreed on the curtains, I did a sloppy job. Yes, the windows are small. I'm changing that soon.

Adding cracks to the flooring, of course. I might change it to how it looks in RoB.

Also, I stopped detail on the wing because it looked awkward with the dithering of the blacks. I figured I'd just make the feathers larger, but for some reason I never did that Raspberry!
HOW does the coat need improvement?

Yes, there are several cracks in his castle entrance, I just never made them.

Adding Gargoyles on top of the Pillars would be an interesting touch, too, but it'd probably.. kill the Castle's support.

The BG I had trouble with, because every source of it had a different effect going on in it. I'd add skeletons, but they don't make sense being there.

As I said, I'll be fixing that in time, Also, I am adding water droplets on the ceiling, so, um, yay.

Also, how can you hate the brick, it's classic man.

Setu, awesome, Faxanadu was fucking insane. I love it.

Red, I don't see how you're getting the idea that I'm copying Trailblazers. You're not even close. Stop acting like no one can do something new.

Picto: THANK YOU FOR BEING THE FIRST PERSON TO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS A CASTLEVANIA FANGAME... even though we've talked about it for the past month or so, but still.
Also, thanks for being the first person to suggest something.

Red: Great, more variety. That's perfect. I think I have the answer to every question in existance.

Leroy: They're only grainy because PSP is a pile of crap at saving gif files.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth, I couldn't really tell that they were curtains...
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither. They looked more like banners or something, since they were hanging from the pillars and not over the windows.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the curtains are only over A window in Harmony of Dissonance, and that's only on one window.
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those blue things aren't curtains then what are they exactly?

BTW, the backgrounds look fine to me. It's the platforms I'd worry about. As classic as the brick is, video games have come a LONG way since then, and it is vastly outdated. Wooden planks connecting to the walls (with supports, of course), or something like that would look better. Solid blocks of rock don't often float in the air in complex patterns (at least not where I'm from).

If you're really worried about the backgrounds, add some statues or full suits of plated armor or torches/candles in the main hall area or even some doors, gates, tapestries, or what have you. And add furniture. A table every now and again would be nice, maybe with a bust of edgar allan poe on it or something (he had a creepy head).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: