Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

528 Hour Contest Voting.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: 528 Hour Contest Voting. Reply with quote

TIME IS UP, SO VOTES ARE TO COME IN!

Okay, this 528 Hour Contest was more successful than the last one. Even though there was the same number of games, these all brought something unique to the OHR. Be it a multiple text box system per NPC or a Zelda style battling engine in action.

GAMES TO VOTE FOR:

OHR-Date
http://www.castleparadox.com/cgi-bin/gamelist-display.php?game=307
Smokey McGoo's Grand Adventure
http://www.castleparadox.com/cgi-bin/gamelist-display.php?game=350
Deer Hunter X TREEM
http://www.castleparadox.com/cgi-bin/gamelist-display.php?game=315
OHRadius
http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=281
Project 'C'
http://www.castleparadox.com/sew/ProjectCWithMusic.zip

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

Just rank games from 1-3 in the categories of simulation and enjoyment level. If you have a comment on a game, feel free to leave it, as I'm sure the author will be all ears.
SAMPLE:

SIMULATION
1. Deer Hunter X Treme (omg best game evar)
2. OHR Date (wow, lots of effort, but it's nothing compared to DHXT)
3. OHRadius (Cool, but it seems more like emulate than simulate)

ENJOYMENT
1. DHXT(again, really awesome game omfg)
2. OHR Date(fucking funny, but not like DHXT)
3. Project 'C'(creepy..)
(not my votes)

Again, all entrants MUST vote. Yes, RMZ, even your FOURTH friend from school with the intials DW(Unless he did nothing, which I'm guessing he didn't). If an entrant does not vote, then that team loses 3 voting points. Remember, you can't vote for yourself.
Also, DO NOT CONFUSE EMULATE WITH SIMULATE. OHRadius EMULATES Gradius. Gradius, itself, is a simulator -- so to emulate is to remake a simulation.

Please do not vote until you have played all games, or else you will indeed take a slapping.
Vote either over PMs, AIM(multicoloredwiz), or in this thread. I'd prefer on this thread.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiz, would it be alright if I had him play the games and tell me over AIM the results of his choices? This way then my team won't lose anymore points? I will post them over my own name and somehow get in contact with BenJi.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simulation
-------------
1. OHR Date
2. Project C
3. OHRadius

Enjoyment
-------------
1. OHR Date
2. OHRadius
3. Smoky McGoo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JSH357

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add in my percent of votes, just to show the gap.

Simulation
1. OHR Date- 89%
2. Project C- 7%
3. OHRadius- 2%

Enjoyment
1. OHR Date- 95%
2. Project C- 2%
3. Deer Hunter Xtreme(Solely because of the intro :p)- 2%

The details:
- OHRadius is extremely glitchy and slow. (.5% of my final vote)
- Deer Hunter Xtreme lacks any real point, but the intro is good. (2%)
- Project C was nifty, but couldn't hold my interest (2%)
- The other game has been done before, and better (.5%)
- OHR Date was incredible. (95%)
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simulation

Deer Hunter Xtreme
Project C
OHR Date

Enjoyment

Deer Hunger Xtreme
OHR Date
Project C

Last edited by *Worthy* on Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:42 am; edited 2 times in total
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worthy, you can't vote for OHRadius, as you did its script work. You'll have to change your votes. Sorry.

EDIT: Red, yeah, that's fine.

EDIT2: Okay, thanks for changing them fast, Worthy. Glad I didn't have to hunt you down on AIM.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is time I cast my votes.
SIMULATION
1.OHRDate-You're either a mack daddy or a guy in the "shadows" but for one thing, this was simply divine in terms of the subject of the game. Greatness.
2.Deer Hunter XTREEME-The way hunting should be!
3.OHRadius-It's fun and addictive, what else is there?

ENJOYMENT
1.OHRadius-Gradius is fun, and this is great. If only there weren't so many bugs... Oookay...
2.OHRDate- I am not one for SIM Type games, but some of the stuff in that game was simply crazy. And "KOOL-AID! ROCKS!!!!
3.Deer Hunter XTREEME- Watching rockets kill bears and bunnies! HEHE!
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, Wiz votes finally.

SIMULATION:
1. OHR Date - Definitely the best at simulating something, considering, you know, it actually simulated something.
2. OHRadius- I don't really know what to vote for after number 1. No one really simulated all that much. However, I am voting OHRadius because there's, um, ship flying, and lasers. I guess..
3. Smokey Mcgoo's Grand Adventure - I dunno.. Axe usage?

ENJOYMENT:
1. OHR Date - Also my favorite. Not only because of me playing Garou, but um, well, it's a really funny game, and well made, too.
2. Project 'C' - I didn't really like this game a WHOLE lot, but it was indeed interesting. The atmosphere is almost as good as Evildead Timeline's.
3. Smokey Mcgoo's Grand Adventure - It's only listed because of the fact that it's not ridiculously glitchy and slow, and the music is better than OHRadius's.

I still need votes from:

Shadowiii
SDhawk
Sew
BenJi
RMZ'S friend whose name I forget but has the initials DW
RubberbandIV
Fenrir-Lunaris
and everyone else who tries the games out! Come on, don't be shy, the batch of games this year are great!
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* I'll give them all in rank order, but only count the first three in each catagory for voting (duh). I just wanted to give my opinion on all of them. Raspberry!

Simulation
1. Dear Hunter XTreeme - It simulates hunting deer with missles and hunter green. What more could you ask for? Wait, less bugs. Yeah, that kinda sucked when I pressed shoot twice on the missle and the OHR got an overbuffering. Ugh.
2. Smokey McGoo's Grand Adventure - It lags like nuts, but the effort in this game is great. Besides the fact taht the barrel pirates are basically invicable, and the first boss's earthshaking thing gave me a seizure, overall, great. The best part is that there is a Side-scrolling MINIGAME in it, similar to the entire OHRadius game. Except you can't shoot in this one (but you do speed up!) Excellent work here emulating a zelda style game.
3. OHRadius - Zero Wing is awesome. This game, however, is not. But it does offer a unique gameplay, but I really really hate it that I can't save, especially on that mission with the rocks and you don't know wehre to go the first time so you have to F***in start the whole game over! But, still, a good simulation of a sidescrolling space shooter. Even if it is buggy.
4. Project "C" - This game reminds me of Purgatory meets Pitch Black. I'm jelous you bums figured out the flashlight script I wanted before I could impliment it in the Director's Cut, but what the hey, good work. It just doesn't simulate anything, besides maybe "survival horror" games. Or Pitch Black (HAW HAW HAW Raspberry!)

Enjoyability
Disclamer: I didn't enjoy any of them very much, to be honest, except maybe McGoo because it was so well done (despite the buggy gameplay). These games have some serious bugs, and I hope the authors fix them because they really hamper the gamplay.

1. McGoo - Wow, I wish that the ax were a little better in terms of hitting (the enemy npc couldn't be walking or it wouldn't register, but it DID register for you, etc.), as well as the fact that the first boss gave me a headache, but overall it was a good experience, with lots of neat details. The sand footprints, the sailing on the little...sail thing, and the Pitch Black reference were all excellent. The bosses weren't just hack-and-slack bigger enemies, they required skill to beat (though the pirate one was ingenius, it was way too easy, and LAGGED LIKE NUTS). Overall, good, but lag was so bad it really degraded from it.
2. Project "C" - Excellent effort, but the story was poorly executed, and the enemies were either really stupid or really smart, because....yeah. However, the game was really really creepy (until I actually saw a monster...), and that worked out very well. Two things really bugged me though. First, though the story did make some sense (after beating it I hacked the RPG file and re-read the text boxes), it was...pointless. Who cares about you, or your...virus? I mean, honestly, I didn't give a crap if I died or not, because I didn't know what would HAPPEn if I died or not. If I wasn't healed/killed, would I go berserk and kill everyone? Or maybe I was just cursed for myself? Or something? The story wasn't resolved well, and it didn't make much sense. Eh. The other thing was, though the game was non-linear (very cool), it was also way to boring. Wandering around in the dark is nice, but I can't see jack crap where I'm going, or where I've been, so I basically wandered for a good thirty minutes before finding taht stupid second floor. It needs more hints, or SOMETHING, becuase it is amazingly tedious. Other then that, the light script was beautiful. *cries*
3. Deer Hunter X TREEM - ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO KILL DEER WITH BAZOOKAS?! YES YOU ARE. Funny concept, though I want more maps in this little "demo." OR moe enemies. Or SOMETHING. The intro was the funniest thing EVER though. Seriously, I was laughing for a looong time after that. The overbuffering bugs coudl be fixed, though, and it would be nice...
4. OHRadius - In all honesty, I'd say this is the "Metomorphosis" of this years 528 hr contest games. Why? It developed a suprub engine, something unique and very very cool to the ohr (like meta's doublenpc, nonlinear walking, and puching imps thingy). Also like Meta, though, it makes you wish the game were better. To quote a Penny Arcade (concerning a different engine). "Wow, that Doom 3 engine is really sweet. Now we just need someone to make a game with it." It is a great plotscripting feat, but the game itself isn't good. Buggy, slow, and overall pretty dull, it isn't good. Though I do love Cats flipping me off, and the music selection was quite nice. Raspberry!

Yeah, as soon as teh contest is over, expect full reviews ye bums. KEEP ON VOTING. Raspberry!
Minnek
Conjurer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simulation
OHRDate
OHRadius
Project C

Enjoyment
OHRDate (Who couldn't enjoy dating in a game when they have no chance at a girlfriend? XD)
Project C
OHRadius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simulation
OHRDate
OHRadius
Smokey McGoo's Grand Adventure

Enjoyment:

OHRDate - Nothing like bribing girls for sex with my mad DDR skills

OHRadius - You had me at the flying toilets of doom.

Smokey McGoo's Grand Adventure - Needs a lot of work, but even a buggy version of the Zelda battle script is great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sew
Just here for looks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not quite ready to vote, but could no one really tell that Project C simulated Light/Dark?

~Sew
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, to be honest, I feel a bit stupid I didn't pick that up. Considering this is a board of computer nerds (who are supossed to be smart) you'd expect someone would notice but...yeah, I didn't. I guess I was too taken aback by the sheer beauty of that dumb flashlight that I didn't realize THAT was the simulation. Eh, I feel stupid. Oookay...
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone imagined the idea of simulation as a safe enacment of a verb, rather than of a verb/idea.
Thellos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$imulation

1. OHR Date
2. OHRadius
3. Project C

3njoyment

1. OHRadius
2. OHR Date
3. Smoky McGoo
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: