Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Spriting Contest The Second!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Choose your favorite monster!
Squall's evil peeping tom eye-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Aeth's Pryosan, the free-floating fire elemental-
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Friend's battle-ready female cleric of Iona-
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Blazes Battles unstoppable chain-gun wielding goldfish-
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Shadowiii's tree-trunk, skull for a head, Empty-
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Retro's prison guard, bad-asses Halfmoon-
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Inferior Minion's stick figure of doom, ASCIICKER-
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Sephyroth's One-Winged Leviathan-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
BaitshopBob's terrifying robotic clown-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Synial's inbred cousin, Geech the Grate
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Fenrir-Lunaris's kung-fu fighting penguin Zetes-
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Sew's drunken dog-
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
The Lone Chimaera's Dark Angel Eris-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rpeanut's creepy Playstation 2-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mr. B's rather charred firebeast-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mythril Man's tennis ball from HELL-
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Gizmog1's magically magical, Magic Pig-
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Cube's pissed off Snaolverike-
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Misteroo's ghost-like Possessd-
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Alvanista's purple knight, The Phantom Mail-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Grandtrain's dream of the future, Turtopolis-
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
CN's kobold stomping Safock-Witch-
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Spriting Contest The Second! Reply with quote

Lazy Sunday's are perfect for this kind of thing.

This time we're going to be doing monster graphics, but not just any monster graphics, this contest is all about really UNIQUE monster graphics. That's right, no rats, small bugs, or your typical dragons and evil warlords may apply. Maybe your monster isn't unique, maybe it's just unexpected, like being attacked by the village washer woman, but do your best to be surprising, clever, and over the top. Come on everyone! Lets improve our graphic styles together!

Some more rules and other crap people wished they had known for the last contest-

1. The enemy must be drawn in OHR, and may be in any size, as long as it fits in the largest slot of OHR's enemy sprite slots.

2. For the guard contest, we had a lot of lazy people asking questions and then not enter the contest. Hey, that's bullshit, yo. So for this contest, do what you need to do. If you really, really want to draw a standard rat for the contest, go for it, no one will stop you. But hey, I'm sure you're more creative then THAT.

3. Backgrounds, abilities, and other misc. info on your monster is not required, but always welcome.

4. Contest starts now, and ends on Thursday Night around midnight. If you read this late and still want to enter, THEN ENTER. The graphic should only take you around an hour to do anyway.

5. If you have a pressing urge to not just do a monster, but a whole mock battle scene, go for it. The only real requirement is that you create the monster for the contest, not use something you've already drawn.

6. Please, take the time to comment on your fellow OHRer's work. They all appreticate it, and artist's; yes, you can alter your work after you put it up with little changes.

Well, I'm looking forward to all the entries, and I should add that all Castle Paradox staff will be participating this time around...so get ready for some REAL competition!

Last edited by Chaos Nyte on Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appologize for the use of sandsea.bmp, but it was the only background I had that was the right color.

Anywho, this is my enemy. A giant eye that is underground. Is that not the lamest thing you've ever seen? Feel free to mock my drawing skills.

I may enter more later on, I just wanted to make sure I entered at least one, because I'm still kicking myself in the head for forgetting about the guard contest.

EDIT: However, the real reason I'm entering this contest is to improve my pixel skills if possible. So if you could comment, that would be appricated. (A comment is not "UR GEY!!1 LOL1!")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Seth
Hardcore Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UR GEY!!1 LOL1!

No, really, I like the idea of a subterrenean eye. Except that eyes never look evil... THEY ARE AFTER ME.
James Paige

Embattled Productions Home
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my entry - a pissed-off flame flinging suicidal (no, not really) fire spirit known as...Pyrosan! (if you didn't already figure that out from the screenshot). Complete with horrible battle background! Raspberry!

That's pretty cool, Squall. I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(My entry for the contest is the female cleric with a mace)

The clerics of Iona

Description
-----------

As a measure to prevent Wyckshire's invasion to Norgard, the goverment has decreed that all patrons of Iona between the age of 18-30 (female-only religion) are to be trained in the arts of war. Soon after their training, they will be required to fight alongside with their husbands and relatives. Though they're physically not as strong as their lovers, they will not hesistate to sacrifice themselves for the safety of their lovers.

note: Similarly, the Roman Empire occassionaly put male soldiers alongside with their gay lovers in the frontline. A ploy to make the men on the frontline more agressive... as they're not only fighting for their lives but also for the lives of their loved ones.

Spells
------
Haste
HealAll
SlowAll

When alone:
Sacrifice - Kills caster but does heavy damage to all enemies in return.
"I am Collins. From my position in the moon's orbit, I watched Armstrong and Aldrin land and walk on the surface. I was so close to the ground of the moon, and yet I returned without having trod upon it... I am Collins." -Friend
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Spriting Contest The Second! Reply with quote

Chaos Nyte wrote:
this contest is all about really UNIQUE monster graphics

Mwaha, never say something like that around me. Mine is shown in a page here. I would just post it, but for the whole 'Angelfire sucks' thing. Anyway, BEFORE I blew it up to good viewing size, it DID fit in the big enemy graphics (it isn't that tall, but it's as wide as it can be).

EDIT:

All entries can be hosted on the site, just send me an e-mail.

~Inferior Minion

Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend - Holy FUCK. O_O That is...beautiful. My eyes are watering.

Blazes - Hahah, that's awesome! It's missing fish food though...
is fantastic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have concluded that the only reasonable explination for Friend being able to make graphics that great is witchcraft.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fight scene from Stop.

I think I'll write the descriptions now to save time later (link coming! really!)

Empty - Definitly inspired by Salvador Dali's work. The moster that looks like it was made of different...parts. Basically a soulless, memoryless, empty creature (boss). Not evil, but he doesn't know what is good or bad.

Boy - Its me! That sure isn't unique...

Drip - He's...up on top. He's supid. Don't look.

Rabid Jaberwalkee - Heh, he's sweet. A direct copy from conceptual art. Basically a slobbering, drooling, big bad mouth.

More later? Maybe?

Oh yeah, the hero is Stop. Man, I need to work on that game. Pissed off! Smokin'

Later.
Retrogamer
Trailblazer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: NES style... Reply with quote

Here's my entry.

A little information:

Creature name: Halfmoon.

Gfx Style: NES (3 colours and the background colour).

Background: While the Halfmoon may be a gigantic creature, very little of this monster is composed of organic material. In that sense, the body is like a tank... incapable of feeling pain, but skilled at dishing it out. The only living part of the Halfmoon is the antenna that hangs off the top of the creature's head. In a pinch, destroying this antenna will leave a Halfmoon helpless. In time, a Halfmoon without an antenna will break down and die.

Halfmoons do not understand many things, but they know enough about light to dislike it. Often, prison guards will transfer these stupid beasts to underground dungeons. There, the Halfmoons are trained to hunt escaped convicts, and often these monsters will torture their prey to death. Halfmoons do not eat, sleep or even breathe. They live only to be used as weapons.

There. A background story.

Pointless?

We shall see.

Looks like I've got a lot of good competition right now. Let's keep it up!

It determines who's left.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASCIICKER - Slayer of Unicode:

-------IMPORTANT--------
The Magic Pig Animation is NOT my entry. Magic Pig is Gizmog1's entry. I simply created the animation after he posted. If you wish to alter your vote because you thought Magic Pig was my entry, please contact me.

Last edited by Inferior Minion on Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:04 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mythril Man
The one and only Dude made from Mythril

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to take screenshots of custom and not game?

I dont have a program that lets me open Bitmap files, my cousin deleted all " unnecessary programs", so i can't blow it up!

Once I do that, how do i get it on the page?

Dumb question, but don't blame me, I'm only new to Immage submitting.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for hosting the file, Inferior Minion! Big grin
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions, Mythril...

Yes, you can take screenshots in Custom as long as you are not running WinXP. Go into Custom and find what you want to screenshot, then hit the Print Screen key. Alt-Tab out of Custom and open any drawing program (even Windows Paintbrush, although there are better choices). Paste the picture into it, resize it to 320x200 pixels (easier with any program other than Paintbrush), and save it as a .gif or .jpg. To get it onto the page, upload it to webspace if you have some and put an html link to it. If you don't have webspace, submit it to Inferior Minion, and put in the html to show it. If you don't know html, ask IM what the code is. Raspberry!

That's all!
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "review" of the grafx so far:

1. Squall- I'm not going to be nice; that looks like an egg. However, I believe your skill will improve by basically studying almost all of the entrees in this contest, then picking out ones you like and simply observing. That, in my mind, is the best advice I can give.

2. Aethereal - That guy looks pretty sweet, but a little flat. However, I have never beenable to draw a decent fire, and that looks really good. :flamedevil: The background does take away from teh overall effect, tho.

3. Friend - ...I'm not going to say anything.

4. Blazes Battles Inc. - That has to be the funniest thing ever. Heh, thats great. Heeeahahahhaaha!

5. Shadowiii - MAN DAT STUFFZ DaBOMB!1!1! YAHlI LIkZ IT LOTz!
...seriously, I think my graphic skills have improved. If you saw some of the Crystal Globe enemies you'd know what I mean. Heh Cool

6. Retrogamer - Sweet use of only...3 COLORS!? Wow.

7. Inferior Minion - That guyz name is hilarous. Heh heh...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: