Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Pros and Cons of a dictatorship vs. a council of elders vs..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Pros and Cons of a dictatorship vs. a council of elders vs.. Reply with quote

Lately, Fyre says people don't go to his site because they hate him and think he's a jerk. I however, have a different theory, which is that OHRRPGCE.com is run and controled by Fyre alone, meaning anyone who chooses his site has to willingly put themselve under a dictator.(for this thread, we assume that a dictator is when all power is controled by a single person) An since dictators tend to have a nasty habit of going power corrupt and doing stupid things, people shy away from putting their valuble time, reviews, and games, in his hands. This isn't to argue that I haven't done stupid things on Castle Paradox, but unlike OHRRPGCE.com there is a group of other mods and admins to oppose me, and me to oppose them, so people feel safer entrusting their work to a Castle Paradox.

Personally, I feel that a council of leading members, like what CP has, is far perferable to having a single dictator, since it seperates power to many people who have expertises in the areas they control and allows them to keep the other's power in check, as seen with myself and Inferior Minion's constant bickering.

This is also why I think CP is going to last a lot longer then former community sites, who were always at the whim of one person. O:OHR, and the old Zant boards both suffered from this flaw, and it led to their downfalls.

Anyway, I'd like to open this up for discussion. What do you personally feel about a council of elders vs. a single dictator? Furthermore, how do you feel about a council of elders as opposed to elected officals? Personally, I always thought elected officals for an OHR Community site was bloody stupid, considering how hard it would be to get an elected member out of their position once their term was up, and how low the voter base for them would be. It's actually part of the reason Castle Paradox has a privately selected council, because the people who are selected are expected to be able to futher the community better then peers who might be more advanced in their fields, but less dedicated to the community.
Anyway, thoughts? Community sites with dictatorships, councils, elected officals? What do you perfer? What would you like to see changed? Throw in your two cents, and lets try to read the whole thread before posting, alright?

Last edited by Chaos Nyte on Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh, there is some truth to Fyre's suspicions (as mentioned in the beginning of your statement).

I personally am for what CP has, because I'm a firm believer that in anything you do, more than one head is definitely better than one, especially one hothead (not that I'm saying Fyre is a hothead, I'm saying in general).

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Councils are the best . That is what I do anyway
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lately, Fyre says people don't go to his site because they hate him and think he's a jerk.

I doubt that's the only reason, but I'm sure that's one of them for some people. A lot of people seem to really hate him.

Quote:
I however, have a different theory, which is that OHRRPGCE.com is run and controled by Fyre alone, meaning anyone who chooses his site has to willingly put themselve under a dictator.

I don't know if that's a reason at all. I don't think people put that much thought into it.

The main reasons I think people aren't going there (in no particular order):

1) From what I've seen/heard, OHR.com has been kind of up and down for a long time. That doesn't really give people confidence.
2) CP already serves their OHRing needs.
3) Various bugs in OHR.com.

And to answer the question you actually asked, I think that for a website a council of privately selected admins is probably best. Elections for lesser moderators might be a good addition though.
Hunter Green
About to beat this double head with a pipe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be too quick to throw out the "Fyre is a Jackass" theroy, but I would agree that cp's council system works a lot better. This way, you have more admins to manage the place, and the Admins can keep each other in check if one of them starts acting like an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it take a whole group to run CP, then the workload must be huge. With one mod, I think neglect would be more likely to occur than dictatorship. When OHRRPGCE.com gets larger, I'm guessing Fyre will eventually spread the responsibility.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, OHRRPGCE.com is new. Very new. Ok, so Fyre's other sites AREN'T new, but relatively OHRRPGCE.com is new. When CP first opened, bairly anyone knew about it (remember, this is after the fabled FALL OF ZANTETSUKEN), and it was a loooong time before it really got popular.

Second thing is that the endless advertising when the site "really isn't up" probably deterred some potential members. Sure CP's relentless crashing gets on everyone's nerves, but the hard-core attenders won't give up. Signing up for OHRRPGCE.com and then having your stats erased by some unknown bug and then haveing to RE-sign up is irritating.

Other then that, I just think that it is starting slow, and it'll have quite a few members in time. Though I dislike having one person overseeing the entire thing, and I REALLY dislike having to have my games "approved" by him before I get to see them up there, OHRRPGCE.com has a lot of neat new ideas, like quick voting for a game's rating, etc.

I dislike the fact that I can't have any screenshots yet, but that is another story.

Overall, I think its just starting slow, and it'll have quite a few members after a while. I'd honestly say that it is "harder" to figure out then CP's game uploading system (plus you can't upload games, you have to link them), which is why a few people are avoiding it. The single-moderator thing is a bit bad too, because then biases can easily run out of control.

Um, yeah. That's my 2 cents.
byako
Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: My 2 yen Reply with quote

Personally, I really don't see an issue here.
What's the big deal if he wants to be the sole moderator of his site?
I'd venture to say that when he feels it necessary to use more folks than himself, fyre will do so. People going to ohrrpgce.com are obviously aware (for the most part) of the various *flaws*.
Have you ever had something work perfectly the first time? I doubt it. After you have it up and running, you figure out what needs to be tweaked.

It's basically 2 different websites have 2 different philosophies on one subject. That's all.
Those who enjoy ohr.com will frequent it. Those who do not, won't.
I fail to see the neccesity of debating the subject, or of debating Fyrewulff's integrity.

Take this for what you will.

(I also fail to understand the reasons for banning Fyrewulff simply for advertising his new site. I realize there may be more to it than just that, but it still sounds childish to me)
matricx re-hacked a great little game
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eggie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, I wouldn't get all mad at Fyre for what he does. He probably feels hostile because no one actually had tried to make him agree with him. I know, because I've been there before.

And now, CN and Fyre still have conflicts because Fyre is permanately angry at CN. OHRRPGCE.COM has secure register sequences, where a lot of spammers would not go through the trouble of getting all of that information from your E-mAil Adress. CP you can just join, but that causes spammers to enter.
Eggie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut up Sew. This is not a double post.

Another thing about the Conlict between CN and Fyre, is CN (being the more superior one) shoudl end it. Try not to snap back at everything he says that is agressive. THat goes for the whole entire community. I bet he would stop being so agressive if we didn't try to fight back.

Last edited by Eggie on Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sew
Just here for looks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the double post by Eggie, and it's contents to be ironc.

~Sew
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*
BUTTON

The only time double-posting is acceptable (that is, posting right after you previously posted instead of editing) is when you are reviving a thread that you started with new material, say, an art project you gave a rough sketch for and then posted the final product.

Eggie, that is double posting.

And I agree with byako. I also think this thread is a bit...over the top (CPvsOHRRPGCE.com is basically an attack...), and also posting it NOW when Fyre isn't even here to defend himself.

Eh, yeah.
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with shadowiii. This isn't very nice, Fyre will obviously view it as an attack, and the useless feud will only be pushed further on.
But shadowiii, Eggie didn't mean to double post there, it's just by the time he noticed, Sew had already posted, and Eggie couldn't delete his extra post.
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

You people are stupid. No, really.

The question being posed is "Pros and Cons of a dictatorship vs. a council of elders vs. democracy". I used OHRRPGCE.com because it is the most recent dictatorship site the community has. I pointed out other examples, such as Zantetsuken, which went down because PK-Fortis was pouty that he was known for the forums and not his art, and Operation: OHR, which went through a series of dictators who couldn't handle the immense workload.

The question I didn't ask was, "I think Fyre is a jerk. Am I right or what?!" Seriously, regardless of the fights between myself and Fyre, it's frankly no one in this thread has any right to tell to me to let it die, especially when you consider Fyre's track record of hating everyone who's ever had a more popular site then his, including UberSteve, owner of RPG Online, and PK-Fortis and his Zantetsuken forums. Fyre starts flame wars in threads I don't respond in. Understand that while we may have the occasional scuffle on the forums, even if I made peace with Fyre, it wouldn't suddenly turn him into a nice guy, and these problems would still occur. As for me banning Fyre for a week, Byako. He was warned, and instead of talking to me in private, called me an asshole in the mirc channel and then reposted his thread. So yes, when you break the rules at Castle Paradox, and ignore the warning, you get punished. Besides, it's only a week ban. It's not like I banned him for life.

So there, now that I've explained myself, can we please get back to a debate involving the power structures of OHR community sites and what you feel works, doesn't work, and what you have never seen attempted but would love to see. Call me crazy, but a discussion of the pros and cons of different power structures sounds a lot more interesting and productive to the community then dicussing the pros and cons of Fyrewulff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on the size of the site. ohr monthly and septaweekly were small enough that a "dictatorship" worked, a large messageboard probably isn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: