Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

I'd like to see people do stuff
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: I'd like to see people do stuff Reply with quote

A while ago there used to be a topic called "we need to set some standards around here". If you can't find it, don't despair, since I can't remember its location either. Before I go anywhere and ramble off topic, let me set my purpose for posting this: The newbies are walking all over the place again, and we have to fix this before it's too late. Doubt it? Then read this:

J.Paige wrote:
Sadly I've noticed the communty's gone downhill. I'm trying to find out if my work is even worth it anymore.

I don't think I can spell it out any clearer. Here's some disturbing trends:

1. There are too many games on the game list that don't have reviews. You know what you have to do. Pick up a game, play it all the way through, then review it. And don't just write down a sentance per section. Hell, don't write a single paragraph. Try to be as detailed as you can get. By doing so, not only are you improving your writing skills, you're also giving that game's author an idea of how they can better their game creation skills.

2. Too many new games uploaded to the list don't include a game/demo and a screenshot, and are posted multiple times. And you can't blame it on a server malfunction every time either; the people who keep doing it are just plain lazy. I'd ask the Admins to add in a feature that would immediately KILL any download that did not have either a game or a screenshot. All these people are doing is reserving a game's title, which frankly, nobody's going to steal. When they've got something worth showing, let them show it.

3. The grammatical errors are getting worse. I'd ask the admins to appoint someone as a kind of spellchecker, or even add a spellcheck button (like on DLabs) so that we don't have to wade through completely unintelligible posts. This is primarily for the nothing but Arfenspeak posts by the way.

4. Still waiting on those upgrades to CP. I realize it's Finals week for most of our staff, but we've been promised User grades, and review reaction grades (I liked this review, hated it, etc) as well as special award trophies to go by our names. If you guys don't get on the ball, someone's going to beat us over the head with a more impressive site than Castle Paradox.

5. Spam. People are posting when they have next to nothing to contribute. Adding a "Yeah!" as your only response in a post is a waste of Inferior Minion's bandwidth. Again, we need the user grades and the award icons ASAP so we can give people warnings when they start to become parrots and mimic the last post they saw. I'd say read, but frankly, a person who writes only one word for their response probably didn't read what was there to begin with.

And for those who keep asking others when 'such and such' game is being released, I'd advise them to actually release one of their own so they at least have some ground to stand on. If I could just wrap up everything into one sentance I could, but I'll have to settle for two.

Be sure there's some meaning behind what you say. And actions speak louder than words.
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. This has always been true. On O:OHR, you actually had to submit your game for review. On CP, you don't. I liked the old system better to be honest, because the games were usually reviewed quickly. On CP, since any game can be reviewed, we end up with Gamelist titles like, "SUPER JOEY'S AWSEOME QUESRT! DONT REVIEW!!!!1111)" Which annoys the heck out of me.

2. Fenrir, send me a PM/Email with the names of any of these games and I'll delete them as soon as I can. I try to keep these off the gamelist myself. Again see, O:OHR for how bad it used to be.

3. A good idea.

4. IM is working as hard as he can, and I know this because I'm bugging him constantly/pissing him off about it. I can only assure you that these things will go up as soon as they're ready.

5. That was part of the aim of the new system, but right now, there doesn't seem anything I can do, since most, okay all, of the mods don't like my, "Week ban for spamming" plan.

Anyway, thanks for the post. It was refreshing to see that a regular community member actually cares about this stuff, and it's not just crazy old "CN the bastard".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, James, your work is well worth it; if not for everyone, than the people that are taking it seriously.

I would be spending more time on my projects if I wasn't bogged down with college and work, but in my free time, I'm spending a lot of it on the OHR.

To be honest, I think this is just a phase that will pass, and I hope I'm not wrong about that....

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to just quickly point out that there are more games that get reviewed than you think. The problem is that these reviews are the ones that don't get thrown up because they are too short, not written well, etc. and FEW rejected reviews get fixed up and edited. :\

[I'll edit this later, gotta run.]
Conjurer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh. I noticed this bit not too long ago myself, what with the invasion of IRC and such. Fortunately for the quiet ones like myself, we have people like Fenrir to bring it to people's attention. Anyway...

First thing I want to say is that, I spend a lot of my time on the OHR, probably spending a fourth of the day on it. (Usually daily.) I think that the OHR is definitely a worthwhile investment for those whom use it seriously; without it we'd probably be a bunch of RM2K users. (Oh the agony XD) Point being though, I get the feeling that a few poorly behaved people are ruining it for the people whom are serious, and that shouldn't be what is happening. (My grammar skills are lacking today, as I've been pretty dang sick as of late.)

As for the spell checking thing, I'd gladly offer up my skills as a grammatical-whatsit checker; I'm usually on here all the time. (Unless I'm sick. Blargh.)

If any of this (or all of it) was worthless dribble, feel free to flame me via e-mail or PMs or whatnot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I entirely agree. I said somewhere that being kicked out of CP is an immature thing to have happen to you and that you don't deserve to come back. Newbies are everywhere, and I guess you really can't get rid of em. And what really pisses me off is there is a new member or two everyday, but the sad thing is, VERY VERY rarely does that person submit a game with a download or even talk in the boards. It's mostly us old timers Ha ha ha! who are loyal to the OHR and all of which it's brought us that talk about stuff. And believe it or not there are more and more reviews being written. I only haven't written any because work and school were intertwined, causing no time for games to be played. But in spare time I make a fairly decent review I'd say. And man, Shadowiii goes all out when he writes one. But the authors of the reviews are beginning to look a bit repititive... But we should have a thing called Operation Anti-Newbie, where if you are inactive on CP for like a month, you get kicked off! Or something similar. Wasted space is wasted time and effort the adminisrators have to put up with. And I know IM doesn't want to waste his time dealing with spam all the time. But, we should really find a way to rid CP of newbies and restore the great site I once knew.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Red and whom it may concern,

You were, as you put it, a "stupid newbie" a few months ago. It took the better part of half a year for Setu, myself, and who knows who else to beat you into a decent community member.

That being said, Castle Paradox has always, and will always remain free to everyone, even idiots. We will not be clearing the memberlist of people who don't post or do anything, and we will certainly not be enacting any sort of anti new people actions. I believe that even the most idiotic newcomer has at least some chance of becoming a productive community member, and you're a shining example of that, Red.

So in short, screw you guys and your anti-newcomer beliefs. We've had plenty of new people who have done nothing but good things for the community, and stop trying to blame the problems of this community on anyone but yourselves. If you want more reviews, write them. If you want better spell checking, read over your posts, if you don't want spam on your threads, THEN PRIVATE MESSAGE THE SPAMMERS AND TELL THEM TO STOP. And if they keep doing it, PM me and I'll talk it over the other mods on what to do. Castle Paradox is in all of your hands, and it saddens me to think that you people want barricades against newcomers instead of trying to help them, as we helped you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should've read what I said and first thought of my first time here. Like a wandering rodent searching for cheese. Anyways, yeah, but perphaps maybe, like what Setu does, we should take some newbies under our wing and try and help em out you know. Show em the ropes so they can lead up to good expectations and become something good. I've tried with a couple of people here, evidentally, I don't hear from them anymore though...
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'd really like to know where all these fabled "newbies" are, exactly. The only newbies I see around here are kept well under control. I don't see them "walking all over the place." It is true that there are a few problems with people misusing the game list, uploading their crappy games and putting "OMG DON'T REVIEW!!!1!!" just to save themselves a tad of embarassment (of which such people receive in droves during the course of their pathetic, bumbling lives anyways), or generally not participating in things that they ought to. A little stupidity never hurt anything. Actually, letting these idiots stay for a time might be good for the community in the sense that it might teach the worthwhile people to avoid making those mistakes. It might, by contrasting the greatness of those who make the effort to produce worthwhile works, show the greatness of the great for all of their glorious greatness...and the weakness of the stupid in their folly. Stop worrying about the idiot problem, because in time it will solve itself. Just concentrate on improving yourselves, and ignore the ignorant...and stop taking mushrooms! Maybe that's why you're seeing things walking all over the place.
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the thing is, most of these newbies (and by that I do not mean "newcomers," in my mind there is a distinct difference) do not actually post here so much as they register, put a game on the list, say it is TEH GR8ST THIGN EVAR!!!1!, and then, for some strange reason we cannot hope to fathom, fail to put up a download or even a screenshot. These people also pop up in IRC quite a lot, and if anyone's seen me there lately, I've been being driven CRAZY with them. This is evident by my near-total silence at those times.
Anyway, the gamelist situation is dire. I agree with CN, O:OHR's was better. We really should get IM to write a program that checks if a game has a demo. Or maybe just a screenshot. If not, then boom. Not accepted. Yes, the demo-checking would eliminate some entries to the List that actually have merit, Aeth's Magisteral trilogy springs to mind, but really, do we NEED to know that someone's going to release a game. In my opinion, a little plug in your sig should be enough until you get a demo out.
In the meantime, while we're waiting for this program to be written, I shall state something I have stated at numerous times in the past (or not, I don't remember exactly). DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT upload a game unless you have a demo. If you have a screenshot, then you may upload, but remember, uploading a game means you are telling this community that you WILL make this game, be it the fattest load of Magnus this side of Mars or the Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread, you will make it. Otherwise, forget it. We don't need all these demoless projects clogging up the gamelist. And if you stop doing anything with your game, get in contact with an admin, and they'll delete it from the list. The last thing we need is to have dead projects on the list. Seriously. That's like keeping a dead cat in your house, hoping it'll magically spring back to life.
And one last thing. REVIEW. I know it's been said, but keep reviewing games. We've had a recent spurt of several good reviews by community members, and we don't want it to die out. And yes, I know I haven't written any reviews. I plan to, I plan to.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, with as harsh as what CN said is, I have to say I'm inclined to agree with him.

Yet I also agree with Red that we should help out people that are new to the OHR and encourage the other community members who are not using to start.

Heck, if we could get everyone in CP to start working with OHR, and help `em out along the way, we could probably restore CP from its current dying state.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
Eggie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess if it is possible, delete all of my games. I really don't think Battle Front is going to take off, and I think that my First Urban Fantasy is relatively better off dead.

All of the pointless games that will never take off or have very little space on the Download file should be erased. Chances are they are games that will never take off (Note: UF: God Put A Smile Upon Your Face WILL take off.)

Let's face it, the forums are dying because the N*wbies don't have anything good to post, most of the time. Some N*wbies are half-decient. All of the master members roughly make up CP. Like Fen, Setu, and others. Me? I am not quite anything right now.

I am seriously trying to get a game done so it will make CP a little more... well, I don't know the word, but it'll help make CP look better.

And a lot of games are so short and pointless that you can't really review it. I mean, reviewing is hard, because the layout for it is very repititive. You have a lot of topics twice on the layout. Maybe that's the reason why a lot of reviews aren't there, when a lot of people attempt to create one (My reviews, except for the HQ one, have failed.)

A while ago I put on IRC that the forums seem to be slow, and not busy like the old days. It seemed that way, because back then there was a lot less stupid N*wbies that apparently know how to speak Arfenish.

Another interesting conflict is the fact about spam. I mean, I smartened up after getting a notice, but a lot of people still do it, and not just N*wbies, but many of the veterans do it, too, and they don't seem to care, if they or another member does that. Seriously, a lot of spam has been from the veterans (Well Some of the spam Big grin )
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more. I'm on a roll.

#6 - When a contest rolls around, everybody gets excited, but almost nobody enters. Half of the contests the art forum has had are dead, including the OHR calender since I'm the only one who's done anything for it. Orchard, CN, start up another spriting contest now. Make it a 'battle backdrop' one, or even a 160x240 enemy contest with a prize being a Bob mug.

#7 - The game list should be split into two sections, games, and extra downloads, if possible. Extra downloads include basically music compilations, art compendiums, etc. We do have a music forum, so a place to submit original songs doesn't seem to unreasonable to ask for.

#8 - It's time we DID add a Faq/Walkthrough section. I've got two already, and just need help converting them to HTML since most people can't read my awful file format I used for them. I'll speak with RMZ about making a walkthrough for Halloween Quest and MTSA5 respectively so we have a good 4 games to start out with when that section opens.

#9 - We need to do something special for the 1 year anniversery of CP being online. Squall, I know you're working on the Zantetsuken Theme, so if it's possible, can you have it by then? If anyone can assist him in doing so, please do.

#10 - This specifically deals with #Paradoxlounge. First, never leave it without any Ops present. If you're the last op around, and you've got to leave, op somebody you can trust or has some degree of competancy and won't start banning people left and right. Then when IM or whoever else comes around, they can resume control. This is primarily to keep the channel from being flooded with spam and bots from coming in. Also cuts down on harrassment. I also don't like the idea that it's being left with nobody in control. Second, we need some entertainment in there. I'd ask Fyre to revive his "OHR Trivia" but I'd doubt he'd take it seriously. Anybody want to help compile a "OHR Jeopardy" or "OHR Pyramid"?
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CN is right , we do need to behave our selves and stop spamming . Mabey the problems with newbies spamming is that they arn't alerted soon enough and go on spamming and arfenhousing .

It seems that lots of people dont bother reveiwing because its too much bother and it seems too hard to get them passed but atleast it gives a correct veiw of the game and is worth the bother.Mabey an explanation of what you want in the reveiw might help.
We all need to use the edit button ALOT more ! Ohr is a wonderful thing with a wonderful communtiy .

Please try every one to stop spamming and remember , edit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: