Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Turn vs. Action
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msw188

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Turn vs. Action Reply with quote

I'm wondering how many people here are fans of the old turn-based battle system, as opposed to the now more prevalent 'action-meter' system. I'll admit that when I first played Final Fantasy III, I thought that this action-meter thing was really cool, but as I played more I began to realize that I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. Turn-based battling gives you real time to think out a strategy. I realize that it is not as realistic, but I don't play games for realism (one of the worst ideas to become 'important' to programmers, in my opinion), I play them for fun. The challenge of a battle where careful planning is needed is much more entertaining for me than that of one where you have to be quick or you will get attacked while you are thinking. And effect magic seems so much less useful in action-meter battle, with the possible exception of speed type magic. The only thing I like better about turn-based battle is the sensibility of healing.
Grandtrain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think turn-based battles would indeed allow for more strategy. However, I don't think I have seen a game that really did take advantage of it.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like turn-based a lot better....even though active-based is a lot more realistic.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only games with an ATB battle system are Final Fantasy or its spawns. Even Xenogears, which had the gauge, was really a turn based. I was just playing Golden Sun, then Lunar Legend and...they are all turn based. So basically the only "Active" battles are in the FF series and Chrono Trigger.

I have no preference. Though I prefer active battles (more exciting) I do like the old school feel of turn based. Except FF1. That game can get so boring, especially because it takes so long to select your moves. Of course, FF2, FF3 are worse...eh. The NES still rocked though. Raspberry!
Mr B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got to admit that I kind of like turn-based also. (is that only because MarioRPG is the only RPG I've ever finished? I don't know)

The problem is, turn-based doen't allow much for speed, I think. Not like ATB does. But it allows you to pause and think about things, which I really like.
msw188

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: speed Reply with quote

It is true that speed is not as important in turn-based battle, but it can still play a major role. In many ways, knowing your character's speeds in relation to each other (and your enemies') is what is most important for thinking about how to conduct your turn.
I think that in general, turn-based battle requires a player to simply know more about their players and their enemies, and how to use spells etc. Otherwise, a player could very well end up wasting a valuable turn. In action-based battle, since your actions are immediate, you don't think as far into the future when deciding what to do.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Turn Based requires you to think, and gives you a longer time to do it. Active makes it so you have to be reasonably quick thinking...or you'll die.
DemocraticAnarchist
Sleep Deprived

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATB sometimes forces you to attack with the closest attack to hand, not allowing for stratagising. Have to say, i would have enjoued FF6 much more if it was TB. So TB wins it for me.
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out that the reason no other RPG out there besides certain Square RPGs have used the ATB system is because Square has it patented. Nobody else can use it but them.

But yeah, I like turn based systems more anyhow.
Sephyroth
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I had an idea for a battle system once that combined Action and Turn based systems...

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure everyone here knows about the infamous ATB system used in Final Fantasy 5-9, and Chrono Trigger. Anyhoo, I got this idea over the weekend for a more realistic battle system. In FF6 and Chrono Trigger there's an "Active" mode where the ATB meter doesn't wait for you to use items and the enemies just attack. This could somewhat work as the time it takes for a player to select an item could be the time it takes for a hero to rummage through his inventory, but the problem is that it assumes that all the other characters are doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING while this one hero is looking for a potion, since you can only control one hero at a time.

Anyhoo, my idea of a more realistic ATB system is this. The ATB meter stops when a character's battle menu pops up. As soon as the menu pops up a number meter appears above the char and goes up for every second that it takes for the player to make a decision. As soon as the player makes his decision, the meter starts counting down, and the character will perform his action when the meter reaches zero. Another good thing about this system is that it could be that while a character is looking for a potion another character could be doing another action. The countdown meter above the one character would just pause as another character is deciding what to do, and then another countdown meter would appear above that character.

But.. the system could apply to a turn based system as well. A timer could be used to keep track of how much time it takes for each hero to make a decision on what to do, and the order that the heroes and enemies act during the "attack phase" could be based on how fast the heroes make their decisions. In a system like this, the system isn't active so the player doesn't have to worry about enemies getting multiple hits in while he's making up an effective attack strategy, yet it is somewhat time-based so the player has to think quickly.
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw realism. That's not what I'm looking for in an RPG, it's good gameplay. I prefer the Turn Based system over ATB. However an alternative to that in ATB is just pausing the game and thinking out your strategy. Of course not all games will allow you to pause, but Turn Based games are more enjoyable...
msw188

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: patented? Reply with quote

Square has the action-meter patented? That sounds a little screwy to me, since turn-based is only considered the norm because it was first. Why should an entire format of play be allowed to be patented? That's almost like saying that a band could patent the use of some instrument in some scale. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Nevertheless, it seems that a fair majority of people here prefer turn-based battle to the action-meter battle. Does James know this? Is he planning on having this kind of thing an option (or even the default) for HamsterWheel (I'm refering to the new engine that he had been working on, I can't remember if that is the name)? In any case, I've been thinking about trying to plotscript a turn-based battle system for some time now, but I don't really have the time or motivation to do so. Especially graphics wise - I have no desire to work through the various aspects of battle graphics. But I do know that many people have made custom battle systems; are many of them turn-based?
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the ATB. It's simple to say the least. Then again, I never have used the Turn Base much. But I like the ATB. So yeah... But TB would be good for boss battles on the standpoint it would make em tougher.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both systems. I'm perfectly happy with either.

It would be cool if the OHR could do turn-based, without plotscripting.
madhatter
Best procrastinator in all of North America

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like turn-based. I'm not very quick-thinking when it comes to RPGs. The only thing where I don't mind time limits is action games, since usually in those you can happily thrash/shoot/fill in the blank your way through with not much thinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: