Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

user grades
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: user grades Reply with quote

Rinku Hero says:
-i had an idea
-they should have under each person's name and portrait (on cp) that -person's average grade
-i.e. they would take all the games that person made
-then average them
-and give that game author a grade based on those

i know everyone is going to say 'no! that's too judgemental!' but i think it'd actually be an incentive for people to make better games. at least the people who care about the grade under their name, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RPGCreations
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: idiocy Reply with quote

-i have an idea
-they should make games with the incentive of making games
-those who would make games primarily for grades given to them by others should be frowned upon
-and laughed at
-along with whoever was silly enough to suggest user grades
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first time in a long time I agree with RPGCreations.
Minnek
Conjurer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I'm in. RPGCreations has it right. Not to mention the fact that stamping a grade under someone's avatar or something for incentive to make better games, is like stamping people's IQ's to their foreheads as incentive to get smarter. Just plain stupid, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rinku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, in schools, grades are not exactly stamped on your forehead -- but they are put on your permanent record. an option to turn the grade off might work, for those who are ashamed of the reviews their games got.

anyway, the idea was just this. it's widely known that most people work better when social incentives are given. for example, if a sprinter runs a race alone, he runs slower than if he runs against someone, even if they don't actually interact, and run in seperate lanes. just the feeling of competition makes both of them run faster. in ancient greece, they held tournaments of playwrights, and the best playwrights competed to make the best plays. if there were no tournaments, then greek plays would probably be much worse than they are now. also, think of 48 hour contests. many authors, including me, work better and faster during a 48 hour contest than we do when we're just working on our game. it's the competition that improves people, makes them want to work even harder, to move up in the ranks. that's the idea behind the top30 as well. being a capitalist, i love to see competition, and want to add to it wherever i can; it produces greater products because you are always trying to do what you do better and faster than your competition. how many people, when they make an ohr game, aren't thinking 'i want to include stuff in this game that will make everyone else say wow' and the effect is that newer and better ways to do things in the ohr come out of that. think of fake plotscripting, or secondary menu systems, or sidescrolling ohr games or mini-games, and so many other things which were done in the ohrrpgce because people wanted to wow others, and to make their game the best. this might make that go even faster.

this may all be moot though -- it may be impossible to add such a thing to this messageboard, i don't know the all technical stuff about it.

Last edited by Rinku on Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Eggie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relatively, that could work.
madhatter
Best procrastinator in all of North America

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, not all people are aiming for a kick-@$$ game. Maybe they're just content with what they have, and the game really doesn't matter to them, it could be something they do on the side for fun and it's not something they should be judged upon.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

setu says:
-i have an idea
-let's label people by the quality of their games, hence making most look inferior to others
-let's make people that are new to OHR feel out of place

-...how `bout NO!!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
Grandtrain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GPA might be a interesting thing to look at (hidden under profile maybe?), but it's not something that I think should be parade around. I don't think it'll be beneficial to the community at all, either. It might make people paranoid about releasing a game and overreactive over reviews. I wouldn't be surprise if 48 hours contest suffer a drop in contestant because of fear that it might ruin their GPA.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter - If you don't want a game reviewed, you can post in the game description that you don't want it reviewed.

I could say that this idea would only benefit the people who make highly-rated games. Also, putting the grade up for the person in general is bad because it can sometimes give false impressions.

Say, for example, Pitch Black really really sucked. Someone reviewed it, and gave it an "F." Basically, no one is going to download any of my games until I have a higher rating, yeh?

So I do. I make something utterly fantastic (ok, so I'm speculating here. Bear with me. Raspberry!). The problem arises that:
1. People might not play it because of my overall bad grade
2. People might not even TRY it because I've been at F for a year or so.
3. Even IF people do play it that dosen't mean they'll review it.
4. Combining this with your review post ("don't review until you finish a game") what if my mega-ultra game was like Powerstick Man? That game is amazingly long. I'm sure the fact it has little or no reviews is almost no-one has finished it. If my new game was really really long, people might never finish it and thus never review it. So I'm stuck at F for all eternity.

Overall, I don't think it is a good idea. I mean, most people know who makes what games, and what ratings those games get. I don't think it needs to be plastered all over their username as well.
JSH357

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Rinku's idea.
Might help weed out less-than-serious game designers.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought making games on the OHR was about having fun. I guess it's really about wanting to feel superior to other people. My mistake.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*high-fives Iblis*

My point exactly!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
JSH357

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoah there.
You can have fun and be serious about something at the same time, dude. The simple fact is,
most of the OHR games that get released aren't worth playing by most people. If you want to
make a game for fun and not be serious about it, you don't really have any role in the
community. Not that you can't still have fun with it; that's all dandy, but you shouldn't
release a game that you aren't serious about in the least. And standards show, the games that
get abysmal reviews(Fs) and are not fun to play, are games that the creator is not serious about.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The simple fact is, most of the OHR games that get released aren't worth playing by most people.

Just because they weren't worth playing doesn't mean they weren't worth making. Maybe the author learned something important from making a crappy game. Having a big "F" on each of their posts would only discourage them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: