Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Faq/Walkthrough section?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Castle Paradox have a Walkthroughs section for games?
Yes, by all means.
96%
 96%  [ 24 ]
No, what we have is sufficient.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

Moonbuggie
Graphics Designer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review: read before playing a game to see if it's worth playing

Walthrough: read during or after the game to address a problem that the player is having or has had.

There...I think that pretty much sums it up eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chocobo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little change needed...

Walkthrough: also used for seeing if a game is interesting to you
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what a review is for! Sheesh... are you mixing up the word walkthrough with something else you're thinking of?
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A walkthrough TELLS YOU WHAT TO DO. Why would anyone have interest in "Oh, I'd like to open that treasure chest."

I think you're confusing FAQs with Walkthroughs.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where he's coming from thoughy, but I've never done that. By taking a peek into the walkthrough of a game of interest, you can see what kind of things you do in it. For example, if you wanted to know what you did in Metroid Prime, you could go to the walkthrough and see that it tells you to pick up the morph ball power-up and go fight the boss. You can then see how complex that boss would be, which would give you a good idea how to play the game. For OHR games, most of them get bland in the middle, so you could get an idea of what kind of stuff you do in the middle, instead of just playing through the exciting beginning simply to reach an incredibly boring middle part. Also it could tell you when the demo, if it is a demo, ends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a GOOD demo, it will tell you when the demo is over, and walkthroughs are generally made for complete games.
Chocobo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Squall. A walkthroughs only purpose would not only be for helping. Its for shecking out how the game is throughout it. Reviews are just ranking the game. It should only say things that influenced the grade. Everything else is in a walkthrough. Many people look into walkthroughs this way.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you're saying is that reviews tell you things that are important enough to influence the grade, and walkthroughs only tell you things that are so unimportant they couldn't influence the reviewers opinion at all? Agreed.
Chocobo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you interpreted that, but your wrong. Reviews don't tell enough tho influence some one to immediately download the game. It just says what others think of itt. Walkthroughs are the things that get someone to actually download it by telling a more complete summary of the game. Let me use an analogy. You don't just look at a chart and buy a stock. You research it. Likewise, ou just look at the review, but also reseach the game by looking at a walkthrough. There it is settled. Phew! Cool
Moonbuggie
Graphics Designer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocobo: I believe what I said before summed it up perfectly. A review is not only for grading a game. In fact, there are many reviews where a game is not graded at all. It just happens that in the OHRRPGCE community we do give a grade. But anyway, a review reviews a game from the perspective of someone who has played it. This testimony will help you determine if you want to play it, not just the game.

And as for the walkthrough, it walks you through the game. If you just looked into a walkthrough before you played a game instead of a review, you wouldn't get nearly as much information as you wanted. Before you play a game, you're not interested where a treasure chest is or how to recover the sacred sword of who knows what. You're just interested in an opinion on the game, and information that miht help you to decide whether or not you want to play it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chocobo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I believe I summed it up impeccably in the post above yours.
Moonbuggie
Graphics Designer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Here, go left one screen and then to the south one screen. Next, go right one screen. Now, go south four screens. Here, you’ll see an enemy that looks like a robot. If you accidentally touched it, it may inflict the Moogle condition
at you. During this time, your defense will drop to 0 and you will receive a
very large amount of damage from enemies."

This is a direct excerpt of a walkthrough of Final Fantasy. Now does this tell you whether or not you want to play the game? Raspberry!
Chocobo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No see, if you don't read those sections. You read sections that intrest you like boss battle. Not some random thing. Besides that was chosen particularily to support your side. There are many that can support mine.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this, for example.

"
Boss 06: Tarantula
Difficulty: Hardest fight in the game!
Party: Maxim 19, Tia 19, Guy 19
Experience: 6280 (Is what I got. Allies you see)
Cash: 8458 Gold
Preperations: There is a recovery and savespot in a secret passage nearby. For God's sake
use it! Equip Tia with a Aqua Whip. You can get it in this
dungeon.
He can call for allies. It's getting annoying I suppose. His "Poison shower" is deadly on
all party members (and poisonous), and especially Tia is vulnerable for that move.
Normal attacks can paralyse you. That makes this boss, a really hard one Sad...
One of the hardest of the entire game.
If you want to find a magic weakness... Waste of valuable turns and MP... Fire is the only
thing that hurts him, and it's not really impressing Sad...
Tia's Aqua Attack which she can do with very much Ip and an "Aqua Whip" is the way to hurt
him most. But even then this fight is sooooo hard. You see, Ip is not easily acquired and
Tia is the weakest in the party. It just a matter of luck to win this fight.
How the game creators could be that awful to give this guy "Stronger" which heals 180
hitpoints, is a very great question. You're in a fight you can never win, but you do have
to win it.... YOu got an impossible task ahead...
Killing his allies as soon as he summons them, can be a good strategy.
"
Moonbuggie
Graphics Designer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point of reading a walkthrough, though, before you play the game itself. That would take all of the fun out of it. And besides, to use an analogy, you dont look at the answers for a test before you take the test.

To solve this now, though, something can be said about both sides. Sometimes a walkthrough, depending upon the type of walkthrough it is, might have an introduction to the game or maybe even a summary of each "chapter" of the game. At the same time, it will also have a FAQ type "tutorial" on how to accomplish various things in a game. That said, I believe both of us are right, don't you say so, Chocobo?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: